Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th September 2008, 04:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Innocents ( UK BFI )

Read about this one and heard it was pretty scary. Having now watched it for the first time, all I can say is - they weren't kidding! This is by far the creepiest film I've seen in a hell of a long time. Best b+w horror since Carnival Of Souls - and better than The Haunting ( and that's saying something! ) Brilliant.

Superb set from BFI, including audio commentaries, an introduction / review from Christopher Frayling and a glossy booklet. HMV are now selling this one for a tenner. What are you waiting for??!

Beyond The Door ( R1 Code Red )

Excellent crossover of Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist from the glorious 70s. Also known as The Devil Within Her ( which is the title used on screen at the beginning of the film ). Genuinely creepy in places and with some truly bizarre sequences ( including the 'nose flute' scene! )

( Mono ) audio isn't the greatest, which is a pity, as it has a groovy jazzy soundtrack and some creepy sound effects. However, the pq is excellent - I doubt if it's been any better. Some good interviews here too, with the likes of Juliet Mills and Richard Johnson.

Nice package from Code Red and one of the better Exorcist rip-offs. Recommended.
Old 10th September 2008, 04:44 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Who Saw Her Die, Late Night Train s and Blood Bath at the House of Death. ( All gifts )

A'int seen any of them before but im definitely looking forward to watching them.

I haven't been disapointed by any of the Shameless titles i've got and im in double digits there, so I know i'll enjoy the 2 Shameless titles .

As for Blood Bath, well, its got Kenny Everett in it, so how can I not enjoy it. Classic Brit camp horror, Fantastic.!
Old 10th September 2008, 04:58 PM
Cult Rookie

Bargains galore from Ebay
deepstar six
2 of the Halloween 25yrs of terror 4 disc sets for less than ?5
the beyond ABUS tin edition
Zombi 2 shreikshows 2disc
for ?34
Suspiria ABUS deleted set with soundtrack
inferno ABUS
Mother of tears UK
all those 3 for ?15

Old 11th September 2008, 07:56 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Got for my 21st birthday today,
THE LUCIANO ERCOLI DEATH BOX SET
COUNT YORGA/RETURN OF COUNT YORGA
THE OBLONG BOX/SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN
CRY OF THE BANSHEE/MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE

Gave the missus and kids a wants list,access to Amazon,just in case you thought our surnames are all Reaper.....
Old 12th September 2008, 10:36 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Just watched 'Who Saw Her Die' which I got from Sarah's (brilliant) comp! Here's what I thought of it:

This is a very good Giallo directed by the brilliant Aldo Lado starring George Lazenby (James Bond; OHMSS)! A very good thriller about a father (Lazenby) searching for the person who killed his young daughter. The best part about this film is the truly amazing cinematography - practically every shot is very artistic and beautiful (especially set against the backdrop of Venice) as well as the the score which is puire genius (by Ennio Morricone) and really adds to the tense atmosphere.

It has also been said that the classic 'DON'T LOOK NOW' was heavily influenced by this film; the same setting, child murdered, simular characters, the list goes on. And personally, I have no idea which one I preffered!

This DVD (released by the FANTASTIC 'Shameless') is one of their best releases; again the cover is reversible and the quality is breathtaking. Although their are no real extras (besides the trailers of other Shameless releases) there are many scenes in this film which have been added in to make this the most complete and longest version of the film ever, such as the start in which a little girl is murdered in a snowy film - incredible stuff.

A word of warning however; do not go into this film, expecting gratitous violence and blood EVERYWHERE! This is actually a 15 rated film (by the BBFC) but was risen to an 18 due to the trailers included. However, don't let this put you off, and the murder scenes ARE stunning (my fav being the murder of the guy with all the birds in the cage) This is a great film and fans of giallo's/ italian cinema of the 70s will LUV this film!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK SHAMELESS!
Old 12th September 2008, 02:30 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I watched 'Who Saw Her Die?' last night, Great film. It really creeped me out There was just something about that woman in the black veil I really didn't like (aside from the fact she goes around murdering children of course) and that music everytime she came on screen, Very haunting. One of the creepiest films I've seen in a long time.
It was great to see the new trailers aswell, can't wait for these to get released, especially 'Oasis of Fear', (Ornella Muti......)

Last edited by Halloween_22; 12th September 2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 13th September 2008, 12:27 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Just watched it myself, very enjoyable.
Your right about the music Hal, very haunting.

Your right Bedorca, George does look really skinny in it.

Last edited by vipco; 13th September 2008 at 12:30 AM.
Old 13th September 2008, 03:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Went into HMV whilst in town this morning and picked up Something Wierd Video's Herschell Gordon Lewis collection Master of Gore. It features Colour me Blood Red, 2000 Maniacs, Wizard of Gore and Gruesome Twosome. Would have preferred something different to Twosome as I have the tartan release already but it's a pretty decent set and I've yet to see the others so figured I'd go for it.

Also picked up Hells Ground, Pakistans first splatter film, should be an interesting watch if nothing else, although I've heard some really good things about it. Quite looking forward to this one.

I was toying with picking up Mother of Tears but for 13.99 figured I'd hold out and try and get it cheaper online.
Old 13th September 2008, 05:22 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

"Thriller: A Cruel Picture" - Limited Edition UNCUT Synapse DVD
Old 13th September 2008, 05:26 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Mother of Tears cost me 16 quid in Belfast HMV.
Seem's like we pay a few quid extra over here.

How much was the HG Lewis set Hal.

Im looking for the Warren Collection boxset as i've been looking for Inseminoid and Prey for ages now but no luck. Seems like i'll have to order in the Warren collection boxset, as it looks like the only way i'll get them.
Ah well, with the exception of 1 film its seems a pretty good set.

Like this? Share it using the links below!