Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179907Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th December 2011, 01:51 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Just seen Hostel Part 3....yes I know I should not bother with the Hostel movies but hey I was bored! ha ha

Well just like I thought it was rubbish! The ending was predictable, brought nothing new to the table and was not very interesting. I still think Part 2 was the best out of the 3. You dont really care about any of the characters...maybe apart from Scott but some people might hate him too.

Overall i give it a 3/10

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 17th December 2011, 09:07 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Lady Killer (1977)
Exploitative drama that's mostly entertaining...it would have been a lot better however if Joy Sales had put the nude/uncensored version on the disc instead of the clothed/censored one.
This reminded me a lot of the sleazier 70's Shaw titles.
Btw the trailer included on the disc is from the nude/uncensored version!

Tiger on Beat aka Tiger on the Beat (1988)
Solid action comedy with some excellent fights/action scenes.
Also lots of "bullet ballets"!
Chow and Lee are great as the two mis-matched cops.

This really needs a newly remastered release!
I wonder if the Universe and HKL versions are better than the Joy Sales Legendary Collection disc?

Trailer:

Last edited by bdc; 17th December 2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 17th December 2011, 11:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Silent Running

Wish I could say the MOC Blu Ray was an introduction to a new film favourite, but to be honest it didn’t work for me at all. The ship design had an endearing 70s feel, but I was never blown away like I was with 2001 – too frequently it was very apparent I was looking at plastic models, whereas I totally bought into Kubrick’s world. Performance wise I though Bruce Dern was pretty one-note. There didn’t seem to be any character arc there at all, and his relationship with the drones felt very underdeveloped and unsatisfying. That was another problem I had – the design of the drones. Thought they were far too cutesy, designed to have recognisable character traits, rather than a purely functional object for Dern to project a character onto (like Tom Hanks and Wilson in Cast Away!). In the end I was left unmoved and slightly bored, which I wasn’t expecting at all. Oh yeah, and the Joan Baez songs were ****ing atrocious!
Old 18th December 2011, 12:58 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Just seen Dream House
It was pretty stupid to be honest..the ending seemed like a last min afterthought.
The ending is completely different to the rest of the movie, its like its own story that never gets hinted at. Very disappointing.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 18th December 2011, 10:48 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Horror of Dracula. I really don't know how often I've watched this movie - I only know that it stands the test of time and repeated viewings.
The usual Hammer trademark - moody settings - are there, and the cast is outstanding. Lee is a fantastic Dracula, and Cushing the perfect Van Helsing. But don't forget the excellent Michael Gough, and hilarious Miles Malleson in a little role as the undertaker. Beware of James Bernard's score - it's horrible and horrifying at the same time!

Highly recommended!

Greetings!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horror_of_dracula-1695.jpg (103.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg horror-of-dracula-10.jpg (18.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Hammer-1958-Horror-Of-Dracula-Peter-Cushing-Van-Helsing-7.jpg (24.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg horrordracula4.jpg (62.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg dracula 2.jpg (85.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 18th December 2011, 01:59 PM
Active Cultist

Watched the Suspiria blu ray last night. Few things to get off my chest! Firstly the naysayers are right - this is a crap blu ray transfer. Constant flourescent feel, like it was filmed under football stadium lights, really disappointing as there times where it was bang on and looked great. Hopefully the commentary/documentary will make up for it. Secondly, the movie itself - is it me or is it showing its age? That damn fake bat and shit skeleton at the end - totally take you out the movie. The pacing is poor and the dubbing ropey. There's still plenty to enjoy (soundtrack will never be topped) but the idea this is some kind of unimprovable masterpiece is a myth. Bring on the remake I say!
Old 18th December 2011, 02:22 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
Watched the Suspiria blu ray last night. Few things to get off my chest! Firstly the naysayers are right - this is a crap blu ray transfer. Constant flourescent feel, like it was filmed under football stadium lights, really disappointing as there times where it was bang on and looked great. Hopefully the commentary/documentary will make up for it. Secondly, the movie itself - is it me or is it showing its age? That damn fake bat and shit skeleton at the end - totally take you out the movie. The pacing is poor and the dubbing ropey. There's still plenty to enjoy (soundtrack will never be topped) but the idea this is some kind of unimprovable masterpiece is a myth. Bring on the remake I say!
I know that we are all entitled to our opinions, but please don't exaggerate! I've just checked my Nouveaux Pictures Blu-ray of Suspiria - anybody calling this Blu-ray's transfer 'crap' must be on the wrong track.
This is a good transfer, with vivid colours, good detail, and a genuine HD look. I really can't see why anybody would complain about this disc.

As for the movie: I agree. Suspiria has never been one of my personal Argento favourites, as its pace is indeed a bit languid. But it's a good film anyhow!

Greetings!
Old 18th December 2011, 02:39 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The transfer of Suspira is pretty good......apart from the colours. Hideous comes to mind.....and everyone knows it! .)
Old 18th December 2011, 02:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Black Swan...I didn't really enjoy this one. I think it was in part due to the fact that I thought it was going to be lets say a different kind of film(so as not to spoil it)

Neverland (sky 2 part drama) Thoroughly enjoyed this. I thought the lead roles were well played and apart from some less than perfect cgi, this is a great insight to how the fairytale began
Old 18th December 2011, 02:46 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
The transfer of Suspira is pretty good......apart from the colours. Hideous comes to mind.....and everyone knows it! .)
Is there any page with a comparison of the colours of the Blu-ray, and the 'correct' colours?

I'm asking, because I think the colours look pretty great!

Greetings!

Like this? Share it using the links below!