All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179666Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th December 2011, 02:51 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Compared to the dvds, etc that came before it, it's like someone has turned the colours up to 11 (a little Spinal Tap reference there).
Old 18th December 2011, 03:25 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

I like THE STENDAHL SYNDROME
not his best film. that goes to TENEBRE imo
but like Peter Greenaway directing an episode of EMMERDALE????
thats a new one to me. weird!!!
Phurious likes this.
Old 18th December 2011, 03:39 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Compared to the dvds, etc that came before it, it's like someone has turned the colours up to 11 (a little Spinal Tap reference there).
Now I see where you're coming from!

I've just checked dvdbeaver, but I have to admit that I still think that the Blu-ray looks great, especially in terms of colours. The DVD on dvdbeaver looks very strange, especially with that heavy green cast.

But I guess it's all just a matter of taste!

Greetings!
Old 18th December 2011, 03:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Watched John Boorman's The General.Nice b&w film with one of my favourite Irish actors Brendan Gleeson in a very good performance
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 18th December 2011, 04:26 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The Bourne Identity

It was...OK. I suppose. Nothing special.

I still think Suspiria is one of the ten greatest film experiences of all time, Argento's greatest work and that the BD transfer is essentially fine. Sorry.
Old 18th December 2011, 04:48 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
The Bourne Identity

It was...OK. I suppose. Nothing special.

I still think Suspiria is one of the ten greatest film experiences of all time, Argento's greatest work and that the BD transfer is essentially fine. Sorry.
tbh when I first saw the Bourne identity, I soon forgot about the film, like Zombie's Halloween remake
I agree with you about the SUSPIRIA transfer, I like it and its a fitting tribute on blu ray for a groundbreaking horror
Old 18th December 2011, 05:51 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
I know that we are all entitled to our opinions, but please don't exaggerate! I've just checked my Nouveaux Pictures Blu-ray of Suspiria - anybody calling this Blu-ray's transfer 'crap' must be on the wrong track.
This is a good transfer, with vivid colours, good detail, and a genuine HD look. I really can't see why anybody would complain about this disc.

As for the movie: I agree. Suspiria has never been one of my personal Argento favourites, as its pace is indeed a bit languid. But it's a good film anyhow!

Greetings!
OK maybe crap was a bit strong but I stand by the view that its far too bright much of the time, what should be a beautiful symphony of colours turns into a harsh, ugly glare.

On a less controversial note, saw the Inbetweeners movie this afternoon and it put a smile on me coupon - at least 6 real belly laughs!
Old 18th December 2011, 10:37 PM
Cult Addict

nothing wrong with the suspiria blu-ray!

Tonight I watched the thing remake...(sorry, prequel)

Not as terrible as some have made out, its certainly not as ineptly crap as the nightmare on elmstreet borefest (competes with the fog as worst remake ever)

My main complaints with it are the transformations which in spite of the progress in technology are nowhere near as good as Rob bottins practical FX from the origional, they lack the style and the imagination. The cg was bad in places but not as dreadful as the awful cg work in the fright night remake.
Old 18th December 2011, 11:04 PM
Cultist

A couple of months ago I bought the Creepshow 2 disc dvd from a car boot sale and I finally got round to watching it. The last time I saw it was back in the eighties (a beat up old Intervision vhs) so as soon as I put the disc in I was blown away by the picture quality. Just as entertaining as I remember. My favourite segment is "Something to tide you over" with Leslie Nielson and Ted Danson (although the scariest bit is Ed Harris disco dancing!). Looking forward to watching the commentary.
Old 18th December 2011, 11:30 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

This evening I watched two very contrasting films produced by Mr Steven Spielberg.

First up was Gremlins - which embodies wit, intelligence, entertainment and fun. The great Joe Dante at his heights and a perennial Christmas essential.

Then I watched Super 8, which had none of the merits of Gremlins. It is a rehashed hodge-podge of clichéd ideas you have seen a million times before, tediously rendered with no wit or discernible intelligence. A terrible film that falls into every single trap it manages to set itself. Avoid at all costs. The only positive thing I can say about it is that it wasn't quite as bad as Cloverfield, but by God it was close. Dreadful.
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!