Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th December 2011, 07:06 AM
Cult Addict

Decided to watch something a little classier last night, started off with the excellent all the presidents men, the 2-disc special edition I bouight off a car boot many moons ago, still excellent.

Second up was grizzly man on blu-ray, once again a film i've already seen but endlessly re-watchable.
Old 28th December 2011, 09:24 AM
Cult Acolyte

The Living and the Dead

I'm always up for a bit of 'crazy folk in old houses' (Psycho, Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny, and Girly, Spider Baby, Grey Gardens...) but I found this quite dull. I wasn't keen on the directors overuse of sub-Requiem for a Dream style sped-up long takes set to grating music - just to underline how damn INSANE the protagonist is. Thought it did a disservice to Leo Bill's decent performance, though even that got a bit one-note towards the end. Hoping to enjoy the director's Red, White, and Blue more . . .
Old 28th December 2011, 09:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched house of the Devil last night
Quite enjoying it despite it being slow and not up to much, But as soon as they caught here and tried to use her for the rituals etc for some reason i kind of got bored and lost interest, Ending did not apeal to me what so ever and not sure why cant give a explanation.
Old 28th December 2011, 12:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyther View Post
Fincher is a very good director, but in my opinion the Dragon Tattoo remake still looks like a shot-for-shot redux, a la Let Me In or (gasp!) Van Zant's Psycho

In other words, I'll probably pass.
Its meant to be much closer to the book then the Swedish version and meant to be much darker! Also they changed the ending and added a different story so dont sound like a complete shot by shot remake

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 28th December 2011, 01:18 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Fincher is a very good director, but in my opinion the Dragon Tattoo remake still looks like a shot-for-shot redux, a la Let Me In or (gasp!) Van Zant's Psycho

It's not a remake though, Fincher hasn't even watched the Swedish version. He's just created his own version of the novel and according to reviews its a lot closer to the book and many people are saying its a better film to the Swedish one too. I haven't read the book or seen the first film/tv adaptation so looking forward to seeing Finchers film with fresh eyes

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 28th December 2011, 02:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Over the Xmas holidays I've watched Ratatouille, Home Alone, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Lion King, The Bourne Ultimatum, The Snowman, Tron: Legacy, Into The Wild, NL's Christmas Vacation and It's A Wonderful Life.

Good times!
Old 28th December 2011, 02:53 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Trust me, it isn't a shot for shot remake, but a very different film with much more suspense than the 'original'. Let Me In wasn't a shot for shot remake of Let The Right One In either but, like this new release of [/B]The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo[/B], a different film based on the novel.

Let Me In is inferior to[/B] the Swedish film but, in my opinion anyway, Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo[/B] is better than its Swedish counterpart, mostly because it was made for a theatrical release and not a cut down version of a two-part TV film.

In short: don't pass up the opportunity to see it on the big screen as it is a film with great sound and visuals.
Old 28th December 2011, 03:40 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

last night saw TROPIC THUNDER and THE HEARTBREAK KID on tv
very funny films
got the former on dvd and the latter on bd, because the BBFC objected to the 'donkey scene' which is censored on the dvd...stupid
especially as the donkey is a she and wearing a strap on and the woman next to it is her owner, didn't the BBFC listen to the commentary?
a case of blu ray bribery!
Old 28th December 2011, 03:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Watched The Artist yesterday.Highly recommended for all the fans of the silent era and old Hollywood
Old 28th December 2011, 03:46 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

A Canterbury Tale - got the ITV DVD for Xmas. Superb film.Better than I remembered. It shot up my all-time list.

Like this? Share it using the links below!