Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2012, 07:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phurious View Post

As for the boxset, if you can cope with the less than imaginative artwork, check here.
oooh that's dern tempting, but I think I'll get the R2 disc for the fourth disc chock full of bonus guff . . .
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Just finished Alain Resnais's Hiroshima Mon Amour.A true masterpiece flawlessly directed and well written.A story about love,time and memory set in a badly wounded land
Phurious likes this.
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I saw The Perfume of the Lady in Black last night.

An absolutely stunning film starring Mimsy Farmer as a scientist on a descent into madness.

Not a conventional giallo by any means, the film is light on both sex and death, but what a hauntingly beautiful film it is. Director Francesco Barelli has come up with a real masterpiece here. The cast are all outstanding and it was lovely to see the lovely Nike Arrighi again after her role as Tanith in The Devil Rides Out.

The films ending was truly shocking, of which i shall say no more.

The quality of the picture on Raro USA's dvd is excellent, with an informative well written booklet.

Highly recommended.
I have this, as well, but haven't as of yet watch it...might rectify this tonight, however!
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:28 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've been watching a lot of mostly lame films recently. As such, let me talk to you about some movies on the other side of the dvd-and-related-media rainbow.
LIQUID SKY. This is simply one of my all time favorites. If you were around at the turn of the 80s in downtown Manhattan, I hope you were blessed enough to lead the same kind of existence as the guys and gals herein. Some alien visitors really dig the post-punk fashion scene and end up addicted to human orgasms. A Russian scientist guy with a telescope tracks them down, maybe. Yes, the substance - use analogy is crude. But it's great. The aliens manifest only as bad visual effects of the worst analogue kind. Everyone is a massively dissociated androgyne. The film itself is art-damaged to exactly the right degree. Strike an angular pose amidst the neon-slick grime and OD to no-wave electro skronk. Why won't the guardians of DVD set this one free? Why is the video lottery run by bastards?
TOURIST TRAP. Dummies, dolls and mannequins of all kinds make me happy when they spring to life. I'm not jaded enough to be beyond that stuff. In this one, Chuck Connors is the owner of a waxwork display just off the desert highway somewhere in late 70s California... a bunch of slasher-fodder teens find out that there's more to Chuck besides heart warming banter and cack-handed sub-Tussaudisms (namely, he is his own psycho killer twin and he can animate waxworks to creepy and murderous effect using the raw power of his diseased mind). Watch out for the killer freeze frame. From Charles Band before he went eighties.
bdc likes this.
Old 3rd January 2012, 01:03 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Just seen Ti West's Innkeepers!

It was very good, much better then house of the devil.
Its a slow build just like his past flicks but then it gets creepy and has good atmosphere that haunted house movies of recent era lack. The last 30 mins are very creepy!
Good watch
8/10

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:06 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Watched Nobuhiko Obayashi's House last night. Oh my. Just incredible! The most enjoyable ride of a film I've ever been on in quite some time. Wonderful HD transfer, extras and booklet from Criterion too. Highly recommended!
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:18 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Just seen Ti West's Innkeepers!

It was very good, much better then house of the devil.
Its a slow build just like his past flicks but then it gets creepy and has good atmosphere that haunted house movies of recent era lack. The last 30 mins are very creepy!
Good watch
8/10
One of my least fave films of last year. Although many, including your good self would disagree with me.

I thought that it really lacked any interesting characters. Even Kelly McGillis's turn was pretty thin and the two leads were the kind of 2D semi-slacker archetypes that were popular years ago, but now just seem weak parodies.

The apparent tension of the film that people talked about was as convincing as ghost train ride, and the frankly dull ambiguous ending left me yawning.

I've yet to see House of the Devil, but a few people who were fans of that thought that The Innkeepers was a bit of a let down, but as I said I'm definitely in the minority. It's just that if this is the future of horror films (along with The Woman), then these young(ish) film makers really need to buck their ideas up because I see nothing inspiring about these lacklustre efforts.

If I had to callously sum it up in a tweet: It's like a Daniel Clowes fan trying to recreate Kubrick's The Shining... poorly.

(Actually that'd probably be very appealing to a lot of people)

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:19 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Watched Nobuhiko Obayashi's House last night. Oh my. Just incredible! The most enjoyable ride of a film I've ever been on in quite some time. Wonderful HD transfer, extras and booklet from Criterion too. Highly recommended!
Look at my avatar
PaulD likes this.

Old 3rd January 2012, 08:27 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I've been watching a lot of mostly lame films recently. As such, let me talk to you about some movies on the other side of the dvd-and-related-media rainbow.
LIQUID SKY. This is simply one of my all time favorites. If you were around at the turn of the 80s in downtown Manhattan, I hope you were blessed enough to lead the same kind of existence as the guys and gals herein. Some alien visitors really dig the post-punk fashion scene and end up addicted to human orgasms. A Russian scientist guy with a telescope tracks them down, maybe. Yes, the substance - use analogy is crude. But it's great. The aliens manifest only as bad visual effects of the worst analogue kind. Everyone is a massively dissociated androgyne. The film itself is art-damaged to exactly the right degree. Strike an angular pose amidst the neon-slick grime and OD to no-wave electro skronk. Why won't the guardians of DVD set this one free? Why is the video lottery run by bastards?
Liquid Sky is a film that I really didn't like very much the first time I saw it, but subsequent viewings have really endeared it to my heart.
I distinctly remember seeing it in our local video store for rent in about 84/85 with that amazing painted cover (of which I know own an original US promo poster) and wanting to get it out, but was never allowed - not sure how a 5/6 yr old me would have got on with it back then.
I just picked up this up yesterday which has a fascinating article about the film in it. It gives some background to Tsukerman and Carlisle, which really helps to see how the story came about from the myriad ideas of the writers and there are some excerpts from a [I]Variety interview with Tsukerman.
And I love the score, especially the Me and My Rhythmbox song, which is pure Nathan Barley/Shoreditch Twat territory.

Old 3rd January 2012, 08:40 AM
Active Cultist

I had an Abel Ferrara double bill last night - MS.45 and The King of New York. Unbelievably I'd never seen these. MS.45 surprised me - I thought it would be a gritty, authentic revenge number but it was more like a highly stylised, almost farcical film - loved it though. KoNY was also brilliant, was amazed at how beautiful it looked and what a cast it had. Lets have some Ferrara special editions please Arrow!

Like this? Share it using the links below!