Like Tree179681Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th January 2012, 04:37 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Pirates of the Caribbean 4...Enjoyable but it is my least favourite in the series.
I actually preferred it to parts 2 and 3, although it wasn't very good.
Old 29th January 2012, 04:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Just watched the extended cut of Stargate.
Enjoyable flick although far from awesome.
Main thing I like about this is Ra..the guy that plays him looks the part and you can imagine him being this evil god!

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 29th January 2012, 05:04 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Just watched the extended cut of Stargate.
Enjoyable flick although far from awesome.
Main thing I like about this is Ra..the guy that plays him looks the part and you can imagine him being this evil god!
the guy who played him, Jay Davidson played the transvestite in The Crying Game and is apparently now a hairdresser.
Old 29th January 2012, 06:10 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Thanks to the Stargate film we then got Stargate:SG1, which was on the whole excellent throughout its ten year run.
Old 29th January 2012, 06:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

TOMIE UNLIMITED - Newish release from the director of 'Machine Girl' et al. I'm not familiar with the series / Manga, so have little to go on by way of context apart from my exposure to Japanese horror in general. Seems to conform to a certain J-Horror template, one that blends Cronenbergian imagery with putatively supernatural themes, although the latter might be thought to be displaced by metaphysical headf*ckery in this case, another Cronenbergian trope. Whatever. It's certainly very strange and ultimately priveleges warped imagery over narrative, although I say this often in relation to Japanese films of its ilk and then am never very sure as to whether I've missed/misunderstood culture-specific aspects which might render some of the outward bizarreness sensible (intuitively, I somehow think not, though). Also features more than its quota of wrongness... wonder how it would've fared down at the BBFC a decade ago (ie a centipede made up of a recursive sequence of evil daughter's face crawls into skirt of mother). After all this freakery I found myself having to re-watch MAN BITES DOG in an attempt to return to earth. Still for me a brilliant film, love the way it all veers drunkenly (but calculatedly) from the killer's insouciance to social critique to bleak scenes of cruelty that for once really do stick in the throat and honour the attempt at deconstruction (of the complicity of media with violence) offered here. But maybe I'm being too earnest - it works as a blacker than black comedy, that's the way I always approach it. I mean, it's just hilarious, like the bit where the second film crew pops up and... but then, there'll be a really depressing murder and the laughter too will die - wonderful piece of manipulation, ABOUT manipulation. I like the film's harsh monochrome look - verite noir in the ruins of modernity. And I like it all way more than I like Haneke - similar themes, but less evasive.

Last edited by Frankie Teardrop; 29th January 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 29th January 2012, 07:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

GORGO - British kaiju flick.

CUTIE HONEY - This film is madder than a bag of spiders. Live action version of the Manga/Anime. Our eponymous heroine must combat the evil of Sister Jill and her minions. More crazy Japanese antics ensue.

bdc likes this.
"A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself."
Old 29th January 2012, 07:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

British Intelligence(1940).WW1 movie starring Boris Karloff as a German spy and Wedlock, with Rutger Hauer and Mimi Rogers as inmates in a futuristic prison
Old 29th January 2012, 08:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Comeback

Enjoyably daft Pete Walker Giallo-of-sorts. Throws up a decent slasher killer in a screaming masked granny figure wielding a sickel, in a couple of surprisingly nasty kills. Has the usual crop of red herrings and nutty group of who's-doing-it? suspects, but does seem to drag its feet in reaching its climax. Think I enjoyed it more than Frightmare though, need to seek out more of Walker's work . . .
Old 29th January 2012, 08:29 PM
Cultist

Watched "Caged". A French horror in the vein of "Hostel". Not particularly original but I thought it was well made and acted with some nicely done scenes. Gets a slagging on IMDB but I enjoyed it.
Old 29th January 2012, 08:46 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Watched The House That Dripped Blood last night, having recorded it from The Horror Channel. Excellent stuff, a couple of good stories, a couple a little bit silly but incredibly enjoyable overall. Really must watch more of the Amicus films like that; I forgot how much I love that 70's British horror feel.
Prince_Vajda likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!