Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th February 2012, 03:30 PM
Cultist

Last night I watched Bulworth, which was weird, entertaining and thought-provoking. Recommended if you like entertainment that offers up something deeper. As I type this I am watching Jeffrey Bernard Is Unwell.

Edit: I know, I know, neither are horror, sorry!

"The monster was the best friend I ever had" - Boris Karloff.
Old 27th February 2012, 03:30 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Just watched Slashers this film is so so bad in every sense that its entertaining..
I enjoyed Maurice Devereaux' $LA$HER$
low budget fun horror, got the R1 well R0 really
his last film END OF THE LINE is very good too
Old 27th February 2012, 03:43 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture Vulture View Post
Edit: I know, I know, neither are horror, sorry!
This thread doesn't just have to be about horror movies as it just asks 'What films any have you seen recently?', not 'What horror films', so no need to apologise and feel free to post about any film you watch.

On that note (pardon the pun), I've just finished watching Tommy, the Ken Russell rock musical with the Who and the great cast of other musicians.
Old 27th February 2012, 04:29 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
This thread doesn't just have to be about horror movies as it just asks 'What films any have you seen recently?', not 'What horror films', so no need to apologise and feel free to post about any film you watch.

On that note (pardon the pun), I've just finished watching Tommy, the Ken Russell rock musical with the Who and the great cast of other musicians.
I'd just noticed that it was in the horror lucky dip section so added the edit

I've just started watching Uwe Boll's Blackwoods. It's been on a few minutes so far. As a Boll virgin I'm curious to see what the alleged worst director ever is actually like as a director.

Wish me luck, ladies and gentlemen - I'm going in...

"The monster was the best friend I ever had" - Boris Karloff.

Last edited by Culture Vulture; 27th February 2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 27th February 2012, 04:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

3 films for me yesterday.
1) The Wicker Man, pretty self explanatory
2) Coming To America, classic Eddie Murphy comedy and finally
3) The Midnight Meat Train. Excellent Clive Barker adaption featuring probably Vinnie Jones's finest performance, plenty of gore and well directed by a Japanese guy who's name I can't spell let alone pronounce. I watched it on Netflix to see what all the fuss with this service is all about and have to say I won't be subscribing once my free month is up as there just isn't enough content to warrant £5.99 a month, sticking with the excellent Lovefilm.
Tonight's viewing is going to consist of Zombies, Sex and Guns, according to the cover of Dellamorte Dellamore that was sat waiting for me when I got home. First time seeing this so it's fair to say I'm a tad excited
Culture Vulture likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 27th February 2012, 06:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just watched Hannah for some reason the film just didnt grab me and also bored me. i would have been quite happy to turn it off at some point if it wasnt for 2 other people watching it as well as me.
Old 27th February 2012, 07:45 PM
Active Cultist

Bedevilled - A little frustrating this one. For the most part it's an inspired hybrid of The Profound Desire of the Gods (city dweller heads off to weirdo island) and I Spit On Your Grave (revenge, guts). There's great character development, a fascinating central relationship and it's all beautifully shot (perfect blu ray transfer this one). Shame then that the movie runs 30 mins or so too long and lapses into grand guignol absurdity. All the subtle touches, the great acting, are sacraficed at the altar of excess. The director tries to repair the damage right at the end but it's too late, he just didn't know when to stop (a common fault of Korean cinema for me). I would still recommend this, especially at a fiver for the blu on Amazon, but sadly it's not the stone cold classic it should have been.
Old 27th February 2012, 08:06 PM
Cultist

10 to Midnight (1983)

*** out of ****

UPDATED WEEKLY
Old 27th February 2012, 08:14 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Some recent viewings:

Enter The Void: Noe is one of my favourite directors working today, and ETV is one of his best works to date, imo. I've heard people complain about the length of this one (it clocks in at almost 3 hours), but it is time well spent as your senses are assaulted by some great imagery which intertwines the story of a brother and sister who's parents are killed when they are very young, and their struggle to cope in an ugly world.

Melancholia: I watched this again recently, and it is still as brilliant the second time around. Not only my favourite film from 2011, but one of the best I've ever seen: period. Such a beautiful and mesmerising film, although I understand that many won't share my love of this masterpiece!

Four Lions: Very funny, very 'Un-PC' film from Chris 'Brass Eye' Morris about inept but try-hard wannabe suicide bombers. Very well written and acted throughout; despite its subject matter this is highly enjoyable stuff.

Vengeance: Fairly decent action-revenge film from Johnnie To with plenty of gun play and a pretty decent, even if at sometimes strung-out plot. One thing that bugged me a bit was that every time someone was shot, it would be accompanied with a puff of bright red mist, which was a bit off-putting.

The Gorgon: Not top-tier Hammer, but still very enjoyable nonetheless; The Gorgon puts an interesting spin on the original Greek myth, to pretty decent effect. Cushing is on hand to play the stern doctor, whilst Lee plays a suitably OTT professor character. Predictable, and a tad bizarre in places but this is definitely worth a watch.

Repo Man: It's been years since I last saw this, so I cracked open my Eureka BD Steelbook with glee on arrival and was extremely impressed with the transfer (and the package as a whole). The film itself has also held up really well over the years and is a nice slice of deliciously dark comedy / sci-fi drama. Great score, too.
Old 27th February 2012, 08:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Despite being a fan of Alex Cox I've never seen REPO MAN.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Like this? Share it using the links below!