Old 6th February 2012, 09:45 PM
Cultist

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

**** out of ****

UPDATED WEEKLY
Old 6th February 2012, 10:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Watched Appaloosa starring Marlon Brando and John Saxon directed by Sidney J Furie using the spaghetti western recipe.I also watched Fiddler On The Roof with the exceptional Topol !
Old 6th February 2012, 10:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Castle of the Living Dead (1964) - Christopher Lee is the enigmatic Count Drago who invites a small circus troupe to his castle to perform for him. But he has sinister intentions. It's pretty goofy this slice of Euro-horror, but I found it a fun little film. Donald Sutherland plays more than one role and is really good value and Lee plays Drago in a suitably offbeat, detached way. I really quite enjoyed this one. I've always wanted to see it since reading about it in Alan Frank's Monsters and Vampires book some 30-odd years ago! The final revelation is quite creepy though, I must say.

Final Destination 5 (2011) - Another tired retread in this series that ran out of steam several films back. This also serves as a kind of prequel as well, which is a nice twist, but nothing special. Overall it's a bit boring and brings nothing new to the table. I hope they either stop with this one or deliver something truly original to reboot the franchise.

Phenomena (1984) - I picked up the Arrow Blu-ray recently, so I thought I'd give it a watch. It's never been one of my favourite Argento movies, but it's been so long since I last saw it I thought I'd give it another go. I did find it a bit better on this rewatch, but that awful score of heavy metal really gets on my nerves. Simonetti and Wyman both put in good turns though. Still not upper tier Argento (IMO), but it's not bad. The HD transfer from Arrow is exceptional though, absolutely terrific.

Final Destination 2 (2003) - Probably the best in the series and my favourite, so I grabbed the BD cheap from Amazon. The opening car crash mayhem still takes my breath away and the BD transfer makes it all the more breathtaking, it looks and sounds amazing. The story is a bit of a rehash of the original: girl gets premonition of bad accident and saves a handful of people, only to have death coming back to reclaim them one-by-one. But it's done with such style and flair that it easily outdoes the original IMO.

Out For Justice (1991) - Steven Seagal is tough cop Gino and when Richie (William Forsythe), a local mobster, goes psycho and goes on a killing spree, it's up to Gino to stop him. It's action from start-to-finish and easily Seagal's best film to date. The Blu-ray from Warners is an absolute revelation. There's so much picture detail it hurt my eyes! Seriously, this is one of the best BDs I've seen yet, the old DVDs pale in comparison. I can't recommend this Blu-ray enough, especially if you're a fan of action or Seagal movies.

Horrible Bosses (2011) - Three friends each have horrible bosses and plan a way to kill them. That's about it. It's not very good and certanly not funny. The only one really giving it his all is Colin Farrell, who surprised me at being such a sport to be made up to look like he did.
Oddly enough I too watched 'Phenomena' today. I should point out that I have quite a strange relationship with this film, perhaps all the more so for not being a big Argento fan (read - as in, not a MASSIVE fan). I once watched it three times in a row, whereas I will very seldom watch any film more than twice ever. I just seem to have this weird fixation on it, and can't seem to figure out why beyond feeling a bit tranced out whenever I see it, to the point of needing to go over it again to check that I've 'absorbed' everything 'properly', if that makes any sense, but also because the IMO hypnotic qualities of the movie and the sense of immersion are attractive in themselves, maybe even addictive. And all the slightly painful elements which objectively should strike the wrong chords (ie. the bad metal for a start ) still work a kind of magic for me - no doubt a testament to my bad, bad taste.
Old 7th February 2012, 12:30 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Wonderful movie!

Like 'Plan 9', it has been ruined by the Medved Brothers
Not sure I know who the Medved brothers are, but they certainly weren't involved in the version I saw (I don't think?). I have the Image disc from a few years back. Great film, it's wonderfully bad, if that makes sense!
Old 7th February 2012, 10:23 AM
Cult Rookie

[QUOTE=Demoncrat;214496]must ask why you thought RS was a letdown? easily one of the films of last year IMO. unless you were fooled by the trailer (as i was admittedly) into thinking twas a "horror" film.

I wasnt fooled into thinking it was a horror film,i just expected something more apocalyptic to happen at the end.Thats the only reason why.It fgelt like a complete anti climax in my opinion,but hey,each to their own!
Old 7th February 2012, 11:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Not sure I know who the Medved brothers are, but they certainly weren't involved in the version I saw (I don't think?). I have the Image disc from a few years back. Great film, it's wonderfully bad, if that makes sense!
Arent they the team behind the "Golden Turkey Awards" ?

the name rings a bell nonetheless, isnt one of them a right wing dick anyhow?

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th February 2012, 11:41 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

They became famous/infamous for their Golden Turkey awards in which they named Plan 9 from Outer Space as the worst film ever made, though their qualifications to make such a claim aren't necessarily beyond debate.

I'm not sure about their personal lives, but I've no doubt a quick Wikipedia search would give you almost all the information you need to know!
Old 7th February 2012, 11:58 AM
Cultist in Training

I watched

Island of death

Street trash

The Stendhal syndrome

Ratman

Baba yaga

All I enjoyed very much Ratman was ok but lagged pacing for me but still fun the others I was hooked
Old 7th February 2012, 03:23 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

Yes and yes.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 7th February 2012, 07:54 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Just Go With It... Fun Rom com with Adam Sandler And Brooklyn Decker who has the best slow mo bikini scene I have seen for a while

The House That Dripped Blood

Like this? Share it using the links below!