Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179933Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2012, 01:14 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

recent viewings...

A PROPHET: Stunning French gangster film about a young man who starts a crime empire from his prison cell under the nose of the mafia. Was blown away by this film, Brilliant performances from the main cast and some brutal violence including a wonderfully choreographed and shot assassination in a car. Cannot praise this film any more.

SHOWDOWN IN LITTLE TOKYO: Fun if overly dumb action film with Lundgren and Brandon Lee. Not the best of it's kind but still a lot of fun and Tia Carrera is yum.

ROAD HOUSE: i must have seen this film about 100 times by now and it never fails to entertain me. Infact i reviewed it here. Everything about this films is badass, Swayze, Elliot, Gazzara, the sound track, the fights. All so awesome.

PLANET TERROR: Robert Rodriguez proves he knows more about making Exploitation films than Quentin Tarantino. PT is so much fun.

FOOTLOOSE (2011): This is one of the better remakes of 80s films, to be honest i enjoyed the hell out of it, maybe it was down to the music of Kenny Logins i don't know, but it was fun and kept me entertained for the entire runt time.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 15th February 2012, 07:24 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
You certainly won't be fighting me to the death over 'Fire Walk with Me' - for me it's almost as stratospheric as Highway, Mulholland etc etc. I'm often amused by supposed Lynch fans' attitudes to this film, which is sloppily and unimaginatively dismissed by many, so it pains me too when people harp on about it being 'shit'.
I'm inspired and intrigued to check out the Bergman reference - haven't seen 'Hour of the Wolf' since I was sixteen, and at that point I think most of it was probably beyond me. Been thinking of having a Bergman resurgence for a while now actually - though the sorry thing is, I find it so much easier to watch something relatively accessible but trashy these days than more abstract and demanding stuff (recent delve into Lost Highway and various others aside). It used to be the other way round, but that's how life is when you end up with a pile of booze and a backlog of cheapshit horror!
I've always thought the critics of fire walk with me were expecting a lot more of the films humour, instead lynch focused on the dark heart of the movie and I would argue that the humour would be totally out of place in a movie about incest and sexual abuse. I've enjoyed fire walk with me for a long time, ever since it turned up on vhs in my local libary to rent.
Old 15th February 2012, 08:08 AM
Active Cultist

Great to hear the love for Fire Walk With Me, one of my top 5 movies - it's got everything, the audacious 30 min prologue which is basically the series put through a mangle (even the coffee's bad, a running joke continued in Mulholland Drive), the terrifying dream sequences, heartbreaking performances by the 2 female leads, Leland, Bob, the Pink Room scene - I could go on all day. If you don't have the French blu ray I recommend it, not a perfect picture but a huge improvement over the DVD.

I watched Edward Scissorhands last night for the first time in about 15 years. Not surprisingly for a film set in a weird 50s/80s time zone it has aged really well. When you see it as an old woman recounting a lost love from her adolescence in the form of a fairy tale to her granddaughter it's really quite a brilliant idea. Blu ray isn't as perfect as I'd hoped - black levels not quite right, but its still a solid 7.5/10. Oh for the days when Tim Burton did these unique, magical films rather than remakes and adaptations. I'm off to dig out Pee Wees Big Adventure...
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 15th February 2012, 09:43 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Chalet Girl ...enjoyed this rom com which really didn't have much romance, but instead alot of snowboarding. My kind of film when I want to just relax and not think too much
I've set my V+ box to record it this evening (along with Lincoln's Lawyer) and, as the trailer doesn't make it look doesn't look particularly challenging, it should be entertaining enough.
Old 15th February 2012, 10:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

FWWM is a cracker, but I agree with what Keirarts said. A huge number of detractors are Twin Peaks fans, NOT Lynch fans, so it's quite a hard film to watch if you're used to the show, especially the kookyness of Season Two. It's quite noticable the shift in tone when Lynch came back after Wild At Heart and put his stamp on things.

Some of the scenes are just downright odd as well (message at the airport? FBI office?), so again, the dislike from the casual viewer is understandable.

Anyone that claims to be a Lynch fan that hates it is clearly bonkers though. It's the PERFECT Lynch film, only beaten by the mighty Mulholland Dr.
Old 15th February 2012, 11:41 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

THE CAR (Elliot Silverstein, 1977)

ooh, its been years. does the car represent Brolin's fear of commitment?
Ronny Cox's alcoholism? the encroaching globalisation of the modern world?
could be......

a great compact film, with very little fat to it imo. the eponymous villian is used sparingly to begin with ala Jaws etc.
Though the characterisation is a little flat at points, but now i am merely quibbling, this still stands up in my book.
would make a great double bill with Battletruck....

and what an ending.

Recommended!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 15th February 2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 15th February 2012, 12:02 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
FWWM is a cracker, but I agree with what Keirarts said. A huge number of detractors are Twin Peaks fans, NOT Lynch fans, so it's quite a hard film to watch if you're used to the show, especially the kookyness of Season Two. It's quite noticable the shift in tone when Lynch came back after Wild At Heart and put his stamp on things.

Some of the scenes are just downright odd as well (message at the airport? FBI office?), so again, the dislike from the casual viewer is understandable.

Anyone that claims to be a Lynch fan that hates it is clearly bonkers though. It's the PERFECT Lynch film, only beaten by the mighty Mulholland Dr.
It's been a long time since I saw Fire Walk With Me but, when I did, that was after watching both seasons of Twin Peaks and the difference in style and narrative structure was striking.

I have the French BD and intend to watch that as a stand-alone film and then again before a Twin Peaks marathon, going through the two seasons again. Since I last saw Fire Walk With Me, I've watched Inland Empire two or three times, so it can't be any more of a visual and aural assault that it was the first time!
Old 15th February 2012, 12:31 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've set my V+ box to record it this evening (along with Lincoln's Lawyer) and, as the trailer doesn't make it look doesn't look particularly challenging, it should be entertaining enough.
What channel and what time is Chalet Girl on?

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 15th February 2012, 12:43 PM
Cultist

Female Prisoner Scorpion: #701's Grudge Song (1973)

*** out of ****

UPDATED WEEKLY
Old 15th February 2012, 12:57 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
What channel and what time is Chalet Girl on?
It's on Sky Premiere (and Sky Premiere +1) at 8pm/9pm, but should be available to watch any time on both Sky and Virgin Media.

Like this? Share it using the links below!