All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th February 2011, 02:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Last night I managed to watch

I Spit On Your Grave (2010)

Now, it was supposed to be the unrated edition, coming in at 1:48.15. Now I am sure that the UK DVD/Blu release runs at something like 1:43.00 .... but I am not really sure if it was uncut or not. The reason I say this is because I found the violence .. well kinda tepid. I have seen worse, much worse in other movies, so maybe it was just the title and the notoriety of the original which had the BBFC up in arms once again. If someone could tell me if indeed I DID see the unrated version.

Anyway, the film. I thought it was quite well made (certainly compared to the original!). The steely washed out look gave it an overall gritty feel. The acting was rather good ... except for the actress playing Jennifer. I found her completely devoid of any depth, and feel rather ashamed to say it, but felt very little sympathy for her character. Rape victims in movies .. Jodie Foster's character in The Accused for example OR in the original ISOYG, go through what appears to be a massive metamophasis before getting their lives together. We had none of this in the 2010 remake of ISOYG! I feel there wasn't enough exposure of her after the attacks coming to terms with things. Maybe this was more the fault of the director rather than the actress, but the movie was rather missing something.
Old 13th February 2011, 03:00 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
It doesn't have to be horror related on this post, all's cool

I watched Catfish yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. It really was an intriguing story and I was rather captivated by it.
I watched Catfish quite recently too. I found it quite interesting, but thought they were exploting them a but towards the end.

Over the last couple of days I've watched Scott Pilgrim Vs The World, A Serious Man and The Hudsucker Proxy. All of them were as excellent as I remember them being.

I think Hudsucker and A Serious Man are overlooked when it comes to The Cohen Brothers work. They're two of my very favourites.
Old 13th February 2011, 04:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched Eaten Alive last night. This film really is nasty. But only due to it being rubbish, in my opinion
Old 13th February 2011, 05:20 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've just returned from seeing True Grit at the cinema and it was very good, certainly not the best of the Best Picture contenders, but another fine Western by the Coen brothers with incredible cinematography by Roger Deakins.
Old 13th February 2011, 05:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've just returned from seeing True Grit at the cinema and it was very good, certainly not the best of the Best Picture contenders, but another fine Western by the Coen brothers with incredible cinematography by Roger Deakins.
I saw it on Friday & I concur. Excellent performances throughout, Jeff Bridges Rooster Cogburn had me stitches.

You know it's a Coen Brothers movie as soon as I see the bear guy!

You make it easy.
Old 13th February 2011, 06:55 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Saw the Crazies remake last night. Not bad.
Just watched The Empire Strikes Back. Great film. I don't have any Star wars on dvd yet I have been put off by the renaming and the prequals. But I think it is maybe time to get over it
wait till september, the entire saga on blu for less than £70 or you can pick up the original trilogy for about £15.00 on dvd.

The Remake of The Crazies was good up untill the ending ten minutes.
Old 13th February 2011, 09:57 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That was quite a prophetic post as an hour or so after praising Roger Deakins' work, he picked up the BAFTA for Best cinematography!
Old 13th February 2011, 10:11 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I quite liked The Escapees, Tall Dude; although I am a big Rollin fan so I wouldn't necessarily say that my opinion was completely unbiased.

Had a Rollin double-bill these past two nights, actually with the 2002 Dracula's Fiancée and the 1968 Rape of the Vampire.
I've seen a number of Rollins' films and they are all slow and boring
Old 14th February 2011, 11:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ach, i have a soft spot for SHIVER OF THE VAMPIRES...watched Megamind (ahem) ok, passable fluff etc, some smart animation though...also watched the 23rd century The Dark Power i picked up...dear lord it was worth the 80p i paid for it, if i could only get Evil clutch again...NOT.
Old 14th February 2011, 11:58 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Last night I watched Shaun of the Dead on BD. It looked fantastic by the way, great transfer! I watched it with the Zomb-O-Meter trivia track and it was a real treat for the film geek within me.

I bought Going The Distance for Kelly's Valentines present so we watched that last night at about half 1 in the morning. This is a really really good romantic comedy, most probably the best one to be honest because it's genuinely hilarious in places rather than just a film with a few giggles like most romcoms.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html

Like this? Share it using the links below!