Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179666Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th April 2011, 12:15 AM
Cultist in Training

Couple of night ago I watch Faster with Mr The Rock, its by far the strongest film hes done so far and it might be just me but it he looks even larger than normal.

Last night I went into Dragon Tiger Gate completely blind because it involved Donnie Yen. While I was entertained I felt that the source material was just too large to fit into a 85 minute movie. It was so easy to get lost in it all. Still had a blast watching Donnie as usual. Love that man.
Old 6th April 2011, 06:46 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I was going to buy the BD, but I think I'll wait for the new extended version to hit BD.
There's an extended version!!? Isn't 3 hours 50 mins long enough

Loved the film btw, I think Leone proved just how great a director he was, must have been difficult shooting in a country which I've read he had never been to before. Still I bet he had a great team around him. This film, like many (all?) of his other has a super Morricone score too. The film was gorgeous to look at. And the story spanning 50 odd years was superb. Woods / DeNiro / Connelly / Weld etc were all great to. In fact it was creepy how well they did the makeup to make DeNiro and Connelly look a lot old than they actually were. Final verdict = Classic...Possibly the best gangster film I've ever seen.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 6th April 2011, 06:55 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
I've decided to work my way through some Studio Ghibli releases, I'm starting from the first release then working my way through in date of release order.
So far I've seen the pre-Ghiblis Castle of Cagliostro, Little Norse Prince and Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind. All great films but Nausicaa was the true classic there.
Then I watched Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Grave of the Fireflies and My Neighbour Totoro.
They are all fantastic films so can't really pick a favourite yet and I've got many more to go through still. Next up Kiki's Delivery Service.
Watching them in date order is a really good idea Ant. I wish I could do that but I sold all my Ghibli dvds quite a long time ago. Bummer! I'm now trying to collect them all on blu ray but it feels like a long wait between each release. LAPUTA: CASTLE IN THE SKY and MY NEIGHBOURS THE YAMADAS are the next ones to be released, I think on may 9th.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 6th April 2011, 07:33 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post
Watching them in date order is a really good idea Ant. I wish I could do that but I sold all my Ghibli dvds quite a long time ago. Bummer! I'm now trying to collect them all on blu ray but it feels like a long wait between each release. LAPUTA: CASTLE IN THE SKY and MY NEIGHBOURS THE YAMADAS are the next ones to be released, I think on may 9th.
Yeah, I was going to go in Spine Number order but decided it would be good to see the progress in animation and storytelling.
The two new Blu-ray's couldn't come soon enough to be honest, can't wait. I do hope they sort out their spine numbering system though before they release them.

I also agree with your views on Once Upon A Time In America, it's the greatest ganster film made, alongside Scarface of course. It may be sacrilege but I didn't think much of Godfather at all, saw it for the first time a month ago and it was a real let down to be honest. Don't get what all the hype was/is about.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 6th April 2011, 04:54 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
I also agree with your views on Once Upon A Time In America, it's the greatest ganster film made, alongside Scarface of course. It may be sacrilege but I didn't think much of Godfather at all, saw it for the first time a month ago and it was a real let down to be honest. Don't get what all the hype was/is about.
The Godfather is a great film but is hugely overrated. Scarface is awesome and i think i too have to agree that Once Upon A Time In America is probably the greatest gangster film ever made.
Old 6th April 2011, 04:59 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Although Sergio Leone's film is an epic and a masterpiece, The Godfather is one of the greatest films ever made and, in terms of gangster films, bettered only by its sequel. I love them both, but Coppola's film is better as far as I'm concerned.
Old 6th April 2011, 05:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Although Sergio Leone's film is an epic and a masterpiece, The Godfather is one of the greatest films ever made and, in terms of gangster films, bettered only by its sequel. I love them both, but Coppola's film is better as far as I'm concerned.
My personal favourite is Carlito's Way.

Its certainly not held in the same regard as The Godfather, Goodfellas etc, but i find it hugely entertaining.
Old 6th April 2011, 06:05 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Really? I just couldn't understand what was so good about it, kinda bored me in parts too. I really appreciate camera work, music, style, acting, etc, (the components that create a masterpiece) but it just was a bit.....meh!

I'll have to watch it again to see what I was missing and watch the other two just to see if I can actually start to be interested in any of the characters. I watched it on Film4 HD I think and the quality was poor for supposedly HD. Is the Blu-ray meant to be any good?

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 6th April 2011, 06:09 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It's a film best not watched on a channel with commercials! The Blu-ray set is absolutely stunning and a real step up from the DVD releases, even the superb R1 disc.
Old 6th April 2011, 08:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I just finished watching Mulholland Drive. I don't think I can really put into words how I feel about it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!