Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th July 2012, 07:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Watched Jess Franco's Exorcism. An above average release for Franco, although I was a little let down overall. My expectations were set pretty high, and I think that if Lina Romay-in her Erotikill prime!-hadn't have starred, I probably would have liked it even less.

Then I rewatched Taxi Driver on BD, and all was well.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 5th July 2012, 07:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched both Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny and Girly (1970) & Short Night of Glass Dolls (1971) both great films but I feel the need for a bit more excitement/cheese or something spooky this evening.
Old 5th July 2012, 07:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
I bought the AB UK horror classics DVD in Poundland a while back and actually gave it a spin a couple of weeks ago after over a year of staring at it wondering when I'd be in the mood. Still a no....
Yeah, I doubt I'll be bothering with the sequels.

Something that stood out was how gun obsessed it was - the kids having several guns displayed above the fireplace, the older kid giving his "shoot to kill" speech, and the youngest kid using guns numerous times to get out of sticky situations. It's not a criticism, just an odd thing I picked up on . . .
Old 5th July 2012, 10:08 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Cherry Tree Lane - 2010 UK d:Paul Andrew Williams

British entrant into the post-Funny Games Home Invasion revival. This is a well acted but blundering misfire. It's a very theatrical short play stretched very thin to (just) feature length. A guy from The Bill and his annoying passive aggressive wife are imprisoned and abused by a trio of criminals who want revenge on their son for grassing up the cousin of two of the invaders.

There is some painfully heavy handed stuff going on here (Night Of The Living Dead is on the telly, for example, one of the thugs is a "sensitive" type and so on) and this all but overshadows the good performances (considering the actors have mere clichés to work with, any way).

Paul Andrew Williams made the enjoyable and under-rated horror comedy The Cottage and it is disappointing to see this formula clunker come from him.

The film also panders to the worst Daily Mail fears and prejudices imaginable, which leaves a sour taste.
Slippery Jack likes this.

Last edited by Gojirosan; 5th July 2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 5th July 2012, 10:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Watched both Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny and Girly (1970) & Short Night of Glass Dolls (1971) both great films but I feel the need for a bit more excitement/cheese or something spooky this evening.
Loved Girly and Short Night, although the latter is far more of a slow burn. Both great, however!
SharonLynette likes this.
Old 5th July 2012, 10:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE SEVERED ARM - From Code Red. I liked it. It satisfies with that combination of bland flatness and absurdity only a deeply seventies horror flick can express. Survivors of a cannibalesque trapped-in-mineshaft escapade are hunted down by the man whose arm they nicked. Or are they? I think a lot of people find 'The Severed Arm' quite boring but I'm pathologically drawn to this kind of thing. Uncut for the first time! but not hugely offensive after all.
SEED - I'm no player in the Uwe Boll group-hate orgy but if I was I'd give him a second chance based on this grimfest, which strains ludicrously hard for bleakness but is too inept to ascend to the pinnacle of gloom it covets HOWEVER succeeds in being a more than moderately nasty piece of trash. Serial killer with rubbish mask fails to be executed and returns to do all kinds of vicious shit to the squares. I imagine many will beg to differ when I say 'Good for you, Uwe'.
COLD PREY - Not impressed at all. Boring.
PROWL - Diverting enough for mainstream horror with derivative vampire theme.
Old 6th July 2012, 12:29 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Demons Never Die - 2011 UK d: Arjun Rose

One of the worst films I have ever seen. Genuinely. Not just saying that.

Tries achingly hard to be hip and street and is just laughable in every respect.

Painful, but I suspect it may become a camp classic in the future.

It really is that bad. Not even the appearance of the stunning Jennie Jacques is enough for me to give a begrudged recommendation.

The lowest point? It has Ed Sheeran on the soundtrack. I rest my case.
Old 6th July 2012, 07:27 AM
Cult Acolyte

DeathDream

Pretty decent, though the middle section seemed to drag a bit. Good cast, liked that the parents were given more to do than in the typical horror - though I spent half the film struggling to think where I knew the dad from (horse head Jack Woltz from The Godfather!!). Great third act, thought the zombie/vampire thing worked well, and the ending really packed a punch. Good stuff . . .
Old 6th July 2012, 11:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The New York Ripper (1982)
Carnival of Souls (1962)
Mesa of Lost Women (1953)
Panic in Year Zero! (1962)

Now I love The New York Ripper and Carnival of Souls, both old favourites, Mesa I found a bit dull and irritating, Panic in the Year Zero I liked but found it quite comical. I don't even know what to watch today, I kind of want to watch The New York Ripper again.
Old 6th July 2012, 12:08 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
I don't even know what to watch today, I kind of want to watch The New York Ripper again.
Another giallo, perhaps?

Like this? Share it using the links below!