Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2012, 03:08 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Coincidentally enough I just watched Demons 2 for the very first time. Excellent job by Arrow on the transfer and extras, really enjoyable and silly film with a better soundtrack than the first.
Old 2nd October 2012, 03:09 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Coincidentally enough I just watched Demons 2 for the very first time. Excellent job by Arrow on the transfer and extras, really enjoyable and silly film with a better soundtrack than the first.
I seem to be one of the few who prefer the sequel to the original, just more fun over all.

DVD and BD collection
Old 2nd October 2012, 03:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post

Damned in Venice - 70's Italian Horror, similar to other Italian takes on Rosemary's Baby but with some Fulci-esque scenes to liven things up. Features one scene you won't forget in a hurry!
I had the German DVD of this but never watched it because it had no English options.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 2nd October 2012, 04:26 PM
Active Cultist

It's amazing what you get in Poundland these days - I picked up a copy of a charming Thai movie today called Meat Grinder. To think of the foo-fer-a over The Burning all those years ago and now you get this, sitting next to a vintage trains dvd, for a quid! It is indeed gory but pretty hard going. The director thinks he's Wong Kar-Wai so there's endless changes of film stock, rapid editing, inappropriate lush music etc etc. Spurious 'social comment' a'la Dream Home is provided by a pointless bit about the Bangkok riots. There are interminable flashbacks to explain why the heroine became nutty - I fast forwarded through these. All in all, in the burgeoning 'strange ingredients in Asian food' sub-genre this is pretty near the bottom. Definitely worth £1 though if you're a fan of bodies being sliced up every which way.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 2nd October 2012, 04:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
It's amazing what you get in Poundland these days - I picked up a copy of a charming Thai movie today called Meat Grinder. To think of the foo-fer-a over The Burning all those years ago and now you get this, sitting next to a vintage trains dvd, for a quid! It is indeed gory but pretty hard going. The director thinks he's Wong Kar-Wai so there's endless changes of film stock, rapid editing, inappropriate lush music etc etc. Spurious 'social comment' a'la Dream Home is provided by a pointless bit about the Bangkok riots. There are interminable flashbacks to explain why the heroine became nutty - I fast forwarded through these. All in all, in the burgeoning 'strange ingredients in Asian food' sub-genre this is pretty near the bottom. Definitely worth £1 though if you're a fan of bodies being sliced up every which way.
I got it a few weeks back from my local Poundland, it is indeed a good film and like you say an absolute bargain for a quid
Handyman Joe likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 2nd October 2012, 11:44 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Went to see Dredd tonight. Really enjoyable film and an excellent performance by Carl Urban. Great visuals and action too, let down by the bloody murky useless 3D. It worked to a degree in the slo-mo sequences but the film would have benefitted without it overall and I can't wait to see it on bluray in non 3D. Due to the nature of Dredds character it could be hard to do a film of him well (he's not that engaging a character and he can't really grow or develop through the events in the film) but this dealt with all that really well.
Handyman Joe likes this.
Old 2nd October 2012, 11:58 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
The original is unwatchable. John Waters with a PG rating?

Purleez - give me a break!

At least the remake holds no pretenses, and didn't sell out!

*Note - I am a fan of the early 'bad-taste' Waters films, but the original version of 'Hairspray' left me cold
not a great fan of Waters but i thought A DIRTY SHAME was quite funny

as regards to the remake of HAIRSPRAY, i haven't seen it but Travolta in drag....judging by his pic of kissing that guy off the plane he was dying for the part!
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:41 AM
Cult Acolyte

Watched V/H/S with my dad and brother last night. Fantastic movie, really REALLY freaky too.
It has a bit of a slow start, with the first tape being really slow, and really average.
The 2nd tape, the Ti West one, was very slow, and very mysterious and nothing was explained, but I quite liked it, unlike my dad and brother.
The 3rd one, was the best as agreed by everyone, being a fantastic little slasher, with a great and terrifying killer.
The 4th tape was a bit paranormal activity, but was probably the scariest out if the lot, having all agreed to stop the movie for a brake when the little glowing kid ran through the door. Quite good with a interesting twist.
The 5th tape was amazing. I'd give this an equal first with the 3rd one, with a fantastic story, set up and amazing end. I'm also giving kudos to Radio Silence for putting fantastic cgi effects into footage of that quality, making pass off as almost real. Hope Radio Silence do other movies.
The bits in between, like the first couple, gets off to a slow start, but little creepy things like dead bodies in the background disappearing, and people watching the tapes disappearing, made it all very good and mysterious.

On the whole, fantastic film, highly reccomended.

Also watched Cabin In The Woods the night before with everyone, this being the 2nd time for me. Still amazing.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:19 AM
Active Cultist

I was in a Rollin mood last night (happens about 6 times a year) and watched the Redemption blu ray of The Iron Rose. What was that scene with the clown wandering through the graveyard all about? In its sheer balls out ludicrousness that one sequence sums up the addictive appeal of JR. The man is unspoofable!
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:25 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Finished watching this last night,another fun Shaw wuxia fantasy.
Certainly one of the better ones as far as story is concerned.

Like this? Share it using the links below!