Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179739Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th May 2013, 10:42 PM
Cult Master

Finally got a few hours spare this afternoon, so I caught up with some films:

'Prodigal Son' (1981) - Very entertaining old-fashioned Kung-Fu film, with many laugh-out-loud moments. It's a real shame that the films of Yuen Biao are often overshadowed by his two "big brothers"

'The Amazing Spider-man' (2012) - A huge disappointment. Disjointed and hideously mis-cast. Sam Raimi's films are much better

'Jack and Jill' (2011) - Caught in the right mood, this was actually an enjoyable movie. Not a good film by any stretch of the imagination, but not as bad as it has been made out to be

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 10th May 2013, 02:30 AM
Seasoned Cultist

'Platoon' - haven't seen it since its theatrical release, down here in Aus. Was even better than I remembered, though not quite as good as my favourite war movie - 'Apocalypse Now'.

'Valhalla Rising' - mesmerising film, not much I can say without giving things away. A few dodgy effects - digital blood - but not bad enough to detract from the overall effect. Pretty brutal, too.
Old 10th May 2013, 09:55 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linbro View Post
'Valhalla Rising' - mesmerising film, not much I can say without giving things away. A few dodgy effects - digital blood - but not bad enough to detract from the overall effect. Pretty brutal, too.
I liked Valhalla Rising quite a bit. I found it quite Herzogian.
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 10th May 2013, 10:20 AM
Cult Acolyte

Straw Dogs (1971)
"This is where I live, this is me. I will not allow violence against this house".
artisturn and troggi like this.
Old 10th May 2013, 10:30 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched fully Black Samurai last night and Zombies Zombies Zombies, both of which are really fun films to watch with friends for a good laugh.
Old 10th May 2013, 10:39 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Straw Dogs (1971)
"This is where I live, this is me. I will not allow violence against this house".
Haven't watched it in 2 years such an amazing film and has one of the best performances by dustin hoffman, pity they had to remake it
artisturn likes this.
Old 10th May 2013, 12:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Working my way through the blu ray of STAR TREK NEXT GENERATION Season 3... Looks absolutely incredible, they did a brilliant job touching up some of the old effects. And the show itself is very addictive, everything really picked up in season 3. Its drama at its best, I can't think of any other TV series as well written, interesting or entertaining (although I think Quincy M.E. and Magnum P.I come close).
troggi likes this.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 10th May 2013, 01:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched the Aussie BD of 'The Brood' tonight. One of my all time faves, and it looks great - this is the same transfer as the upcoming Second Sight release. It's a bit light on re. special features though, so I'll be double dipping with either the SS, or maybe hang out for the Criterion box set. I NEED his other early films on blu!
SCM likes this.
Old 10th May 2013, 01:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Earth Vs The Flying Saucers"

This wonderful piece of cinematic history is 4 years older than me. When I was 8-14 years old I was still captivated by films like this (I still am, I s'pose).

I don't think that you need to "suspend disbelief" for these creaky old masterpieces, try imagining, or remembering if you're anywhere near as old as me, a world without CGI and ANIMATRONICS and put yourself in the shoes of a member of the audience for, say "The Blob", you may not believe in a living strawberry jelly but might wonder at how they had animated it!

"Earth Vs The Flying Saucers" deserves a 6/10 for it's inventiveness.

Monster Magnet
Old 10th May 2013, 03:08 PM
Cult Addict

CYCLONE.

Jeffrey combs builds a state of the art motorbike loaded with weaponry right before shady espionage types kill him off in order to get the bike. His hot blonde girlfriend must protect the bike at all costs. Cue lots of kick-ass chases and stunts and lots of brainless but hugely entertaing action. Almost faultless exploitation fare from FRED OLEN RAY and excellent picture quality as well!

ALIENATOR.

Damnned fine sc-fi action from olen ray. Lots of intergalactic action and plenty of cult film stars as well including a clearly drunk-as-hell jean michael vincent being angry at camera and repeating the word 'scum' a lot.

If you bought the scream factory 4 film set these two alone make for an first rate afternoons entertainment to be enjoyed with either a fine brandy and canopes or failing that some cheap cider.
artisturn likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!