Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2013, 09:43 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
SEASON OF THE WITCH - Despite it being pilloried on its release, I found this a fairly diverting mainstream horror effort. Maybe it could've played on the ambiguity of supernature vs psychology a bit more (which was the route I thought it was going to take at first) rather than blowing it all on a special fx climax with demon, but even so, lurking behind the obvious moves and the usual bombast was an interesting line about power and religious 'authority'. Beyond this, the slightly peripheral aspects ie. the weirdly fungal plague appealed more than the 'main course', which was standard but entertaining enough.
Oddly i watched Romero's Season of the Witch two night ago. Until you mentioned the plague at the end of your review i thought you discussing that. I was struggling to remember the demon though and thought you were talking metaphorically at first.

Talk about one track mind.

As far as the Cage film goes, i really enjoyed it. I was expecting rubbish due to the critical mauling it received but found it good fun, with some fairly decent set pieces.

Except the demon of course.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 22nd March 2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:28 PM
Cult Addict

Do any of you guys actually have a literal 'to watch' pile? Do any of you acually get up to date on stuff?
Invid Ninja likes this.
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Do any of you guys actually have a literal 'to watch' pile? Do any of you acually get up to date on stuff?
Yes between 150 - 200 films. Of which around 60 are horrors.

...and, no. I never get up to date. I wouldn't want to really.
Zann likes this.
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:04 PM
Cult Addict

Even close? I wonder if im alone in buying far I more than I ever have time to watch...and I don't actually buy much. Not these days anyway. Ive got films upstairs I've bought years ago that I've not yet watched.
Zann likes this.
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:08 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post

...and, no. I never get up to date.
*Cough!* The Blake's 7 thread. *Cough!*
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:29 PM
Ex-member

Today's Viewings
Sorioty Row (2009)
My Bloody Valentine 3D (2009) (Watched in 3D)
&
Home Alone
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Death Laid An Egg (La morte ha fatto l'uovo)

Every once in a while a film throws me for a loop and this is one of them. In fact I'm still processing it, as La morte ha fatto l'uovo is one of those films that defies conventions and exists in its own sphere, to which I'm developing (as I say, I'm still processing it) something of a love/hate relationship with it.

Labelled a giallo, this 1968 offering doesn't follow the strict formula we've come to expect from the genre, but takes a rather more arthouse and psychedelic approach - a giallo by way of the Nouvelle Vague if you like. On one hand it's got some striking imagery - almost surgical and surprisingly un-kitch - and the actors are watchable if somewhat morose. The lead is played by Jean-Louis Trintignant, who we saw most recently in Michael Haneke's Amour , as a husband caught in a three way love-triangle with his poultry farm owning wife (Gina Lollobrigida) and her beautiful young cousin (Ewa Aulin). There's plots to kill and mutant chickens involved, but it's often vague - frustratingly so at times. And that's where the problem lies - it's clearly an anti-capatalist film, but for all its revolutionary intentions it can be a slog with its character's cold, stilted delivery and general lack of fun, despite some wry humour and sly pokes at its subjects. Bruno Maderna's score deserves a special mention, as it's been a while since a score made such an impression for all the wrong reasons. It's quite possibly genius, but maddeningly infuriating - a jarring, avant garde composition that often sounds like someone randomly hammering on a piano, while another strums an out of tune guitar - occasionally overlaid by vocals that sound like the mutterings of a madman. It's deranged, which on one hand fits the movie perfectly, but I can't say it didn't set my teeth on edge.

There were moments I hated this film for its dourness, icy impenetrability and irritating score, and others when I admired its complete lack of convention. Either way I can't stop thinking about it. And for all its infuriating quirks, I actually want to see it again.
Old 23rd March 2013, 04:20 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Even close? I wonder if im alone in buying far I more than I ever have time to watch...and I don't actually buy much. Not these days anyway. Ive got films upstairs I've bought years ago that I've not yet watched.
Nope I do it all the time. It gets pretty compulsive, especially if like me you check HUKD most days where there's frequently something on BD irresistibly cheap.
Old 23rd March 2013, 07:55 AM
Cult Addict

Sorry HUKD?
Old 23rd March 2013, 08:09 AM
Cultist

Another weird ass movie day!

Cat's Eye: Just like Trilogy of Terror, my favorite one is the last one, where the little Troll thing fights General the Cat!

My Little Pony Adventures in Dreamland: I ain't no Brony. But this original 80s video actually has a fair share of dark imagery. There were plenty of moments where I said this could be the cover of a Black Sabbath album!

Monster High: Not to be confused with the toy cartoon. This piece of total schlock was about a guy named Mr. Armaggeddon being trapped inside a basketball and.....actually even after watchin' it, I'm still a little fuzzy about what the hell is going in it.

Billy and Mandy's Big Boogie Adventure: Loved the show, so I had the movie, my friend really wanted to watch it and we had some laughs

Like this? Share it using the links below!