Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179952Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th July 2013, 09:27 AM
Cult Addict

Fistful is ok but the sequels (if you can call them that) are way better. The Good The Bad and the Ugly is in a different league.
The Abyss is a great film and one long overdue a good blu release. I've still got the original 2 disc dvd with the annoying ultra narrow letterbox ratio.
Old 25th July 2013, 09:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Fistful is ok but the sequels (if you can call them that) are way better. The Good The Bad and the Ugly is in a different league.
The Abyss is a great film and one long overdue a good blu release. I've still got the original 2 disc dvd with the annoying ultra narrow letterbox ratio.
Totally agree abyss is crying out for a blu ray release if any film deserves to be seen in HD this is one of them
troggi likes this.
Old 25th July 2013, 12:07 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

RED DAWN, the remake. You'll be backing the Korens all the way. Bloody dire remake of one of my favourite films.

A FIELD IN ENGLAND. Jesus, this is good. A funny, clever dose of occult bollocks with a real conviction for its subject matter. I loved it.
Old 25th July 2013, 01:56 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I saw Pacific Rim at the cinema earlier on and thought it was very good. When it began, it didn't really feel like a Guillermo Del Toro movie but, the more it went on, the more of his touches I saw and the more I grew to like the film.

Sure, some of it's predictable and a little clichéd, but I loved the two scientists, the creature and robot design, with the little details on the Jaegers making them more than just hulking robots.
troggi likes this.
Old 25th July 2013, 02:00 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Stagefright

For something I bought on impulse and had never heard of was very surprised, a cracking little slasher with a interesting killer ,story and some good set peices. The killer really creeped me out with that owl mask. 9/10
Have you seen THE CHURCH yet? if not its worth seeking out as its from the same director as stagefright. Cemetary man (aka Dellamorte dellamore and the sect are worth a look too!)
troggi and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 25th July 2013, 03:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Eh? The film's aspect ratio is 2.35:1 and that's how it's presented on the DVDs.
Old 25th July 2013, 05:34 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
Eh? The film's aspect ratio is 2.35:1 and that's how it's presented on the DVDs.
Just waiting for it to be opened up to 1.78:1 for the blu-ray, since it was filmed in Super 35. Not as cazy as it sounds. Cameron did it with the 3D version of Titanic.
Old 25th July 2013, 05:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Just waiting for it to be opened up to 1.78:1 for the blu-ray, since it was filmed in Super 35. Not as cazy as it sounds. Cameron did it with the 3D version of Titanic.
I don't agree with doing that, the intended ratio was 2.35:1 (which isn't 'super-narrow' at all). He only does it because he reckons it makes the 3D more immersive anyway, and I don't watch stuff in 3D. He also (quite rightly) regrets doing Aliens in 1.85:1 as well.
Old 25th July 2013, 05:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Have you seen THE CHURCH yet? if not its worth seeking out as its from the same director as stagefright. Cemetary man (aka Dellamorte dellamore and the sect are worth a look too!)
I was looking at getting the church as its the same director will pick it up
Old 25th July 2013, 05:42 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
I don't agree with doing that, the intended ratio was 2.35:1 (which isn't 'super-narrow' at all). He only does it because he reckons it makes the 3D more immersive anyway, and I don't watch stuff in 3D. He also (quite rightly) regrets doing Aliens in 1.85:1 as well.
I don't agree with it either. Same thing happened with the dvd/BD of Once Upon A Time In Mexico and the German BD of Dolph Lungren's Icarus. I don't have a big problem with it if it's opened up to reveal more picture, but I'd rather they keep it the way it was intended.

Like this? Share it using the links below!