Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179678Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th October 2013, 05:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nightmare on elm street

The first and still the best. Even after all theses years it's still a chilling and frighting film, has to have Johnny Depps finest scene. Freddy at his terrifying best before the films turned less scary and more funny . 10/10

The frighteners
My favourite peter Jackson film, mixing comedy and horror to near perfection, with some strong performances from the actors including Fox and Combs who never disappoints. a very underrated actor. 9.5/10

Snowbeast
Another rip off of jaws, but instead of a shark we have a abominable snowman/ wendgo. A lot a familiar faces that I couldn't name. On the whole not to bad . 6.5/10

Bit of a slasher theme next with the 35th anniversary edition of Halloween and followed by bay of blood.
Rik, Hawkmonger, SCM and 1 others like this.
Old 27th October 2013, 05:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
I'd say in Scott's case he show's that he has a fondness, even religiously close, affinity to the archetypal family. Dominant father figure, submissive female figure. He believes both genders have a role in society, and by confining both to a stereotype he's both a masogynist and a mesandrist. Just my two pence on his stance on family role in society but frankly I find the man a nutter but his work is generally very good aesthetically.
Well, the guy's a mormon. And like it or not, who he is contributes to his art. Hence the sour side that Ender's Game (the book) has - it's what makes it intriguing.
Old 27th October 2013, 06:00 PM
Cult Addict

I just hate the guys guts, and if that means I dislike mormons (for the record, i consider the religious indoctrination of society to be outdated and frankly dissturbing) then so be it. I'm still not giving him my money.

DVD and BD collection
Old 27th October 2013, 06:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Halloween 35th anniversary

Just like the first nightmare on elm street this is still the best of the bunch. Often imitated but never bettered. Perfect direction from carpenter with a fantastic use of sight and sound. Both Cushing and Lee where offered the role of Loomis, but it's impossible to see anyone else in the role now, pleasence made it his own and it's one of the greatest performances in horror and was worthy of a oscar nomination. A great job has been done on the restoration and if it wasn't for the fashion you would think it was shot yesterday. One of the true classics of the genre. 10/10
Old 27th October 2013, 06:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I thought that this week I would concentrate on thought-provoking films and moving, emotive films with a positive message for the viewer but I couldn't be arsed with boring rubbish like that and watched "Iron Man 3" and "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" instead! I bet I had a lot more fun than I would have done going the other way!

One thing did mar my enjoyment of "Iron Man 3" though...

About half-way through the rain storm started complete with all the fury and beauty of lightning and thunder, unfortunately the deluge was too much for our parapet gulley and the down-pipe blocked. This had the effect of filling up the gulley and sending rainwater over the lead flashing and down the internal wall towards the socket that my tv and assorted entertainment equipment are plugged into!

Ah well! I managed to finish watching the film later that evening after one of the intrepid students next door had gone out on the roof, in full climbing harness, and unblocked the pipe! Who says that students are useless?

Monster Magnet
Old 27th October 2013, 07:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
I just hate the guys guts, and if that means I dislike mormons (for the record, i consider the religious indoctrination of society to be outdated and frankly dissturbing) then so be it. I'm still not giving him my money.

I don't think anyone's defending Card here, so no need for the defensiveness, I was simply responding as you quoted my review. And my point - which you appear to have missed by a country mile - was that I suggest taking his views with a bucket of salt.
troggi likes this.
Old 27th October 2013, 07:52 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
I don't think anyone's defending Card here, so no need for the defensiveness, I was simply responding as you quoted my review. And my point - which you appear to have missed by a country mile - was that I suggest taking his views with a bucket of salt.
No, I got what you ment Delirium, I just find the guy insefferable for all his talent and find it hard to justify supporting him. Especially when he activly supports the WBC. But I don't want to derail this thread anymore than I already have so i'll leave it their and instead talk about what i'm watching tonight. Baba Yaga, it's rather odd isn't it?
troggi likes this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 27th October 2013, 07:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Baba Yaga, it's rather odd isn't it?
Yup, but brilliant.
Old 27th October 2013, 09:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

So I spent the weekend in London in order to visit Fright Fest Halloween at the Vue west end.

Six films this year, plus a single short and no surprise film - which personally I thin is a shame.

Soulmate A number of the cast and crew, including producer Neil Marshall, turned up to present this British ghost story. I liked it, but it didn't manage to create any tension or jump in your seat moments.

Patrick Re-make of the 1970's Australian classic. It works very well, although the reliance on CGI (and poor quality CGI at that) detracts a little. The film was presented by its lead actress.

Mark of the devil Michael Armstrong turned up to introduce his controversial classic dealing with the torture (and stupidity) of the Witchfinders. I like this film a lot, but it has aged badly and is unlikely to attract many new fans.

Discopath I really disliked this film when saw it originally at the Fantasia world premiere. I realised with this second screening that I was being a little bit unfair. It has a number of flaws, but in this different setting it worked a lot better. The director was on hand to support the film and Paul as the evening went on.

The Station Nice "The Thing-alike" from Austria.

Nothing Left to Fear The first film produced by Slash's Slasher FIlms works very well but does't really contribute much new to the genre.

So overall a good line-up - nothing particularly bad but also nothing particularly good. I guess that this is mostly a second string line-up as the London international Film Festival seems to have captured the "three" must haves for a horror fest line-up.
Old 27th October 2013, 10:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Had a Cult Italian directors day!
Mario Bava - Black Sabbath (1963) The last story was the best!
Dario Argento - The Bird With The Crystal Plumage (1970) Haven't seen this before...and didn't see that coming, nice twist!
Lucio Fulci - Don't Torture a Duckling (1972) It was OK but I figured out who the bad guy was even though I didn't know why, again it was a nice twist!
Tinto Brass - Fallo! (2003) ahem! Cough! It was.......different to the others I'd seen today!

Like this? Share it using the links below!