Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179652Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th October 2013, 09:45 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Se7en (1995) "Whats in the box?" long time since I last saw this!
Yep, it still holds up I think, much more than Fight Club. Every movie geek has a favourite line they drop into everyday conversations and one of mine is from Se7en, when Morgan Freemen says: If John Doe's head splits open and a UFO should fly out, I want you to have expected it. Just a fantastic line to throw in when discussing oddballs, weirdos and eccentrics...
Rik likes this.
Old 27th October 2013, 10:21 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Ender's Game

Having read the book, I was expecting little from this - after all, the book is a cerebral affair, chock full of internal politics, allegory and (intentional) repetition - but its translation to the screen isn't quite the washout I expected. Indeed it skims over events, dropping some altogether (particularly Ender's brother/sister's involvement in the political field, as well as their deep-rooted relationship with Ender, and many of the relationships in the battle school), but its heart - particularly the militarization and manipulation of children - remains somewhat intact. Ender himself is softened, as is the language and violence (no "buggers" here), but Butterfield is a decent lead (too old of course) and Harrison Ford a reliably gruff Colonel Graff, and there's a reasonable stab at keeping the novel's overarching themes in place.

If you want to get inside the character's skins (and indeed the author's, questionable morals and all) - read the novel. But as a likable, if flimsy, slab of cinematic sci-fi goes, it entertained. Even if the sharper edges have been filed down.
Im outright reffusing to watch this. I wont let a single penny of my money to Orson Scott Card.
trebor8273 likes this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 27th October 2013, 11:26 AM
Cult Acolyte

Not a film but a mini series. Last night I watched BAG OF BONES and it's about a black singer who gets raped and curses the boys and their children to drown their children. Starring Pearce Brosnan and Melissa George. Brosnan is a book writer who sees his wife ran over and killed so this brings him to Dark Score Lake which is a small village for a break and to write his new novel.

While there he learns of the curse and tries to stop it while fighting with a man in a wheelchair. I haven't read the book yet (even though I own it) so I can't compare, but from what I saw it was pretty decent until the end which got stupid in my eyes. The ghost bath scene was the part I didn't like.

Overall it was good and I am considering buying the DVD
troggi likes this.
Old 27th October 2013, 12:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Halloween 35th anniversary Bluray edition last night along with Night of the Living Dead 1990 from Twilight Time. The Anchorbay UK transfer of Halloween was great. Nice new extras as well. Night of the Living Dead '90, well we all know the story regarding that movies transfer, but I love the movie and the sound quality was impressive
Old 27th October 2013, 01:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Yep, it still holds up I think, much more than Fight Club. Every movie geek has a favourite line they drop into everyday conversations and one of mine is from Se7en, when Morgan Freemen says: If John Doe's head splits open and a UFO should fly out, I want you to have expected it. Just a fantastic line to throw in when discussing oddballs, weirdos and eccentrics...
The only problem I have with it is Pitt almost over doing it when he realises whats in the box! But yep its still a great picture!
Old 27th October 2013, 01:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Im outright reffusing to watch this. I wont let a single penny of my money to Orson Scott Card.
Why?

Just got back from taking my boys to watch Monsters University, which is this weekends Kids AM film at Vue Cinemas. We missed it first time round so I was chuffed to find out it was on this weekend. I wouldn't say it's as good as Monsters Inc. but it sure is a great film and one that had us laughing throughout, definite purchase when it's released in a couple of weeks
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 27th October 2013, 01:46 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Why?
Scott Card is a sexist, masogynistic (and mesandristic) homophobe who has proactively taken the stance that homosexuals are a vulgar speck on the face of humanity and has even written characters in his books as being shunned and freakish for their sexuality. He's aligned himself with the WBC and provided them with some of the earnings from his books. When I know that any of my money will end up in either his or their pockets, i'm not having it. This isn't an instance where distinguishing the art from the artist, this is an instance of a bigot who simply knows how to write good sci-fi.

DVD and BD collection
Old 27th October 2013, 01:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Scott Card is a sexist, masogynistic (and mesandristic) homophobe who has proactively taken the stance that homosexuals are a vulgar speck on the face of humanity and has even written characters in his books as being shunned and freakish for their sexuality. He's aligned himself with the WBC and provided them with some of the earnings from his books. When I know that any of my money will end up in either his or their pockets, i'm not having it. This isn't an instance where distinguishing the art from the artist, this is an instance of a bigot who simply knows how to write good sci-fi.
Fair do's, but one of his novels inspired my favourite album of all time, so I can forgive all the other shit, as wrong as his opinions are
troggi likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 27th October 2013, 04:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I don't think he's particularly sexist or a misogynist Hawk.

If you say he's misandristic as well then he basically likes no one at all. Which is odd for a married man with five kids.

His controversial views on homosexuality and marriage are typical of religious extremists though, i agree.
troggi likes this.
Old 27th October 2013, 04:38 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I don't think he's particularly sexist or a misogynist Hawk.

If you say he's misandristic as well then he basically likes no one at all. Which is odd for a married man with five kids.

His controversial views on homosexuality and marriage are typical of religious extremists though, i agree.
I'd say in Scott's case he show's that he has a fondness, even religiously close, affinity to the archetypal family. Dominant father figure, submissive female figure. He believes both genders have a role in society, and by confining both to a stereotype he's both a masogynist and a mesandrist. Just my two pence on his stance on family role in society but frankly I find the man a nutter but his work is generally very good aesthetically.
troggi likes this.

DVD and BD collection

Like this? Share it using the links below!