All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179953Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th February 2014, 12:17 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Captain Phillips (2013)

A terrific true life thriller about piracy off the coast of Somalia from British director Paul Greengrass which treats it's audience as adults and gives us some almost unbearable tension.

Tom Hanks is excellent as Phillips and Barkhad Abdi gives a stunning performance as the lead pirate Muse.

I'm sure Greengrass must have been having a private joke with his audience about the inadequacy of the British authorities in their response to possible situations. The UK navy suggested Phillips use water pumps to repel pirate vessels whereas the US response was a war ship, an aircraft carrier and two SEAL teams..... Guess which got the job done.

Highly recommended.
Dem! Does Captain Philips have subtitles for the pirates/Somalian people's dialogue?
Because I begun watching a bootleg copy (I know I know, I'm sorry) which had no subtitles, Although it felt like it should have...
Old 16th February 2014, 12:29 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
During my absence from this lovely forum I have watched quite a few fillums, as you would expect. Here are a couple of outstanding examples...

Metropolis (1927)

The Haunting (1963)

My wonderful wife bought the Masters of Cinema bd of Metropolis for my birthday and I love it almost as much as her! This is a film that I never get tired of, I even enjoyed the Giorgio Moroder abomination! The newly recovered footage is fantastic and the booklet in the box is excellent too!

The MoC Metropolis gets a well deserved 87.9/10 from me.

The Haunting scared the wee-wee out of me when I first saw it in the late sixties or early seventies, I'm a big boy now but it still has an eerie quality that the later remake, with Catherine Zeta Jones in, doesn't. I still like both films but the '63 vintage wins in a heads up, in my opinion. I'll give it a reasonable 17/10

I'll do some more when I can remember what I've watched and can be arsed to.
Nice to see you back again Troggi, the place wasn't the same without your entertaining reviews and baffling score system.
keirarts likes this.
Old 16th February 2014, 04:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Absolutely LOVE The Haunting!

Big Fritz Lang fan, but I never really saw the big deal about Metropolis.
Old 16th February 2014, 07:21 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
Absolutely LOVE The Haunting!

Big Fritz Lang fan, but I never really saw the big deal about Metropolis.
Look at when it's made then check out ANY film made around the same period or even ten to twenty years on. It's unlike anything else. It did cyberpunk before cyberpunk was even a thing. It influenced everything from Blade runner, Robocop to Ghost in the shell.
Old 16th February 2014, 08:53 AM
Seasoned Cultist

'Demons 2' (Synapse BD) - I'm sure it's the minority view, but I thought this was as good as, if not slightly better, than the original.
Couple of beers, bag of bbq crisps + Demons 2 = a very relaxing afternoon
Old 16th February 2014, 08:59 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDogWeTrust View Post
Dem! Does Captain Philips have subtitles for the pirates/Somalian people's dialogue?
Because I begun watching a bootleg copy (I know I know, I'm sorry) which had no subtitles, Although it felt like it should have...
I saw it at the cinema and remember the lack of subtitles, so you are in the same position as the crew and have absolutely no idea what the Somalis are saying.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 16th February 2014, 10:52 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linbro View Post
'Demons 2' (Synapse BD) - I'm sure it's the minority view, but I thought this was as good as, if not slightly better, than the original.
Couple of beers, bag of bbq crisps + Demons 2 = a very relaxing afternoon
I genuinely like Demons 2, just think the glove puppet is f*****g stupid. An otherwise fun film with a great soundtrack. Cannot wait for mine to arrive. So much so I may even watch my arrow versions....
Old 16th February 2014, 11:17 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

miami_connection_lede.jpg

Ever since i first became aware of this film i have been waiting to get a region free player to make this my first purchase. As soon as i seen that cover artwork i had to find out more it just grabbed my attention right away. Getting this excited about any film can be a double edged sword and the anticipation and high expectation can ruin the best of films. Did this film live up to my expectation? HELL YES IT DID

The first scene gives us a taste of what we are in for for the next 83 minutes. Drugs, Ninjas , over acting extras and plenty of great action sequences.The film centers around Dragon Sound a band made up of tae kwon do black belts.

Soon all the gangs in Miami are out to destroy Dragon Sound. One gang is angry that Dragon Sound have taken there slot as house band in Miamis biggest nightclub the other because the leaders sister is a member of the band and dating the bass player and the Ninjas because the hatered of Dragon Sound is not good for business The threat of Dragon Sound this five men and one woman band is so big that the three biggest gangs in Miami must come together to stop them

Yes the acting is bad yes the plot is stupid but this film is just a really good time. I watched it twice yesterday its so good. First time was with my girlfriend and then with my mate last night. If you have not seen Miami Connection you must fix that as soon as you can
Old 16th February 2014, 11:32 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I genuinely like Demons 2, just think the glove puppet is f*****g stupid. An otherwise fun film with a great soundtrack. Cannot wait for mine to arrive. So much so I may even watch my arrow versions....
If it wasn't for everything I've read about how bad the 'puppet' is, I probably wouldn't have noticed it that much. Yeah, it's not the best, but we are talking c.1986
Where did you order from, mate? Diabolik?
Old 16th February 2014, 12:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

White Heat - loved it, James Cagney delivers a great performance as the psychotic mummy's boy Cody Jarret. They don't make em like this any more!

Fear X - well acted, nice direction and lots of long, lingering, 'meaningful' shots but ... whoops, who forgot the plot? Unfortunately, this one descends into pretentious drivel IMO

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Like this? Share it using the links below!