Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179653Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th June 2014, 10:39 PM
Cult Addict

A few recent watches that i didn't post at the time.
Most will be familiar so i won't go into too much detail.

psycho.jpg

Beyond the darkness.

D'Amato's grim and sleazy masterpiece, haven't seen this in ages and enjoyed it more this time, nice atmosphere and Goblin score.
The main guy is pretty bland but this is more than made up for Franca Stoppi's mental performance which makes the film work for me.
The dead girlfriend seems strangely flexible for a corpse. 8/10

House on the edge of the park.

Home Invasion(sort of) pic that is pretty vicious and sleazy, this i first saw at my aunts house when i was about 10 before it was banned and as my first nasty it's always stuck in my head.
Pretty good performances from Hess and Radice cover over some of the more bland cast members, The film is surprisingly tense at times.
The things that stuck in my head when i was younger was the razor attack on the girl and the bullet to the bollocks shot and extended scream that follows.
Great stuff. 8.5/10

Delirium a.k.a Photo of Gioia.

I'd always heard this late Giallo was pretty bad but actually i quite enjoyed it.
Very 80's and cheesy with a lot of bad acting, but this is made up for by quite a lot of breasts, a main actress that is not afraid to get naked with a nice set and some freaky make up.
Basically models are being killed off one by one and the killer then sends Gioia photos of their bodies in poses beside her modelling posters, obviously this freaks her out a bit.
We are shown how the killer hallucinates that the victims look, before he does them in and these scenes are quite interesting. One has a giant eye on her face and another has a giant bee head (?).
Directed by Lamberto Bava and featuring Daria Nicolodi and while not great it kept me amused. 7/10

Zombie dead a.k.a Burial Ground

Yes the one with the freaky man child in.
Great badly acted cheese fest filled with nice gore that is really enjoyable, love the maid and scythe scene. Vipco prints not too bad either.
'Mummy this cloth smells of death"
Fabulous 8.5/10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zd.jpg (15.0 KB, 1 views)

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 28th June 2014, 09:47 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I like all of Marshalls films but like I've said before I wish the bugger would get on with making some more of them.
I would also like him to hurry up and do something new, but I guess he is still heavily involved with Throne of Swords and Constantine?
Old 28th June 2014, 09:55 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold6082 View Post
Agreed it is diabolical & an insult to it's predecessors.

And yet, I own 2 copies of it on dvd....
Old 28th June 2014, 10:28 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
I would also like him to hurry up and do something new, but I guess he is still heavily involved with Throne of Swords and Constantine?
I think he's also been involved in Black Sails. I thought he was working on a film called The Last Voyage Of Demeter with Viggo Mortenson but it looks like he left that now.
Old 28th June 2014, 11:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bought original Maniac even tho it was atmospheric and well made couldn't help being a bit bored. Just found ending a bit pft eg how come when then they come alive and killed him ripped his head off etc but when police come in he was just lying there with sword in his stomach, They should have found him as to how he got killed room full of blood body parts everywhere etc, would have been better.
Old 28th June 2014, 11:56 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I think he's also been involved in Black Sails. I thought he was working on a film called The Last Voyage Of Demeter with Viggo Mortenson but it looks like he left that now.
I've got Black Sails on preorder. no idea what it's like but i fancy a bit of swash and buckle.
Old 28th June 2014, 02:35 PM
Cult Addict

I sounds interesting but I don't often blind buy when it comes to TV shows.
Old 28th June 2014, 04:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Saturday Night Fever

I watched this the other night for the 1st time. A 22 year old John Travolta lives his life to go disco dancing on the weekend while he has a dead end job during the day and a family who might as well disown him. The weekend comes and he is the king of the dancefloor.

He has dead end friends and a woman who fancies him and I don't know why as he shows no interest. During a night out he meets a dancer called Stephine who decides to try and befriend so he can take her to a dance competition.

The music is by none other then music legends Bee Gees and the music suits the film very well and in places it is a dark film with a threesome on a very drunk and drugged up Anette and John Travolta almost turning into a rapist.

Overall I enjoyed the film and would watch it again and again
Old 28th June 2014, 04:57 PM
Seasoned Cultist

hi guys,arrived this morning, "red room, and bagman".
not yet watched,but soon!
keirarts likes this.
Old 28th June 2014, 05:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

From 1956 - part 1

Bus Stop - Another Marilyn Monroe movie but this one wasnt as good as 'The Seven Year Itch' for me.

The Girl Cant Help It - Great music and....ahem...great milk bottles!

Giant - Wasn't too keen on Deans two earlier movies but I quite enjoyed this one.

Chips Ahoy - Donald Ducks last outing before going down the 'Educational' route.

Around the World in 80 Days - I was looking forward to this but I found myself waiting for the next cameo appearance by a famous star.

Rock Rock Rock! - Some good old 50's 'Rock n Roll' but the story, (such as it existed), was atrocious!

The Creature Walks Among US - Last of the 'Creature From the Black Lagoon' sequels, not as good as the previous two.

Hollywood or Bust - Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis's last movie together also starring Anita Ekberg and Mr Bascom....a great dane, was a comedy and although Lewis does tend to grate I have to admit I did chuckle... mainly at Martin and the Dog.

Yield to the Night - A great British picture starring Diana Dors as a woman who is in prison and awaiting execution for a crime of passion.

Gervaise - A BAFTA winner (Best Film from Any Source / Foreign Language). Based on a story by Émile Zola. There is a fight scene between two women in a laundry that had me laughing.

Like this? Share it using the links below!