All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th June 2014, 07:58 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It didn't take a genius given the film's subject matter.
That's about as explicit as the film gets!

It took me ages refolding the unused tissues and putting them neatly back into the box.
Old 25th June 2014, 07:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Old 26th June 2014, 06:33 AM
Cult Addict

LORDS OF SALEM

Given the general rotten reception this film got on release and the bad word of mouth it has received, I sat down to watch LOS with very low expectations.

I was surprised to find however, that I actually enjoyed the film a lot more than I thought I would.

Part of the appeal may have been watching it at my friends house. He has a killer surround setup and the moody music really works. The soundtrack is fantastic throughout.

Lords takes the Rosemary's baby style satanic conspiracy and really runs with it. There are some amazing visuals to the film that look bloody gorgeous in HD and framed with a definite Kubrick influence. The films finale however also suggests Mr Zombie has been watching a bit of Ken Russell too, especially The Devils and Lair of the white worm.

The film isn't perfect however, and I am aware that it all took a bit of editing as the first cut of the film simply did not work (explaining some of the differences between book and film) Also the film experienced the sad passing of Richard Lynch so william mather had to be recast. Fortunately Andrew Prine came in to work on the film so they got a great actor as replacement.

Also really enjoyed Judy Geeson, Dee Wallace and Patricia Quinn as the witches as well as Meg foster as Margaret Morgan.
Old 26th June 2014, 02:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Black Sabbath (1963)

First time watch of my Arrow Video Blu-Ray on a HD TV with my new Blu-Ray player. As stunning a horror cinema experience as I imagined it would be. That every segment is a quality film in its own right only shows how visionary and good a directer Mario Bava was. Looking at other anthology films, even considering the impact that contributions from different directors can have on varying quality, this is no mean feat. Following the success of Black Sunday Bava could have easily indulged in this opportunity to make an anthology film and forgotten about the viewer but as the finished film shows Bava certainly did not.

Contemporary anthology films like VHS (no matter how good some segments are) could learn a lot from Black Sabbath; you don't have to try so hard to be edgy and shocking; opening sequence of the original VHS and 90% of ABC's of Death, I'm looking at you, to create an impact on the viewer. Bava effortlessly does so in his anthology segments by creating a strong, suspenseful and eerie atmosphere through both mesmeric visuals, strong writing, and characters you can, to a degree, relate to. This builds to a truly effective penultimate story; The Drop Of Water, that ranks among the most chilling cinema experiences I believe a horror fan can uncover and for this viewer, is both a mini masterpiece in its own right and arguably, the pinnacle of Mario's work.

A 10/10 from me.

Last edited by Buboven; 26th June 2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 26th June 2014, 02:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Had some free time today, so I checked out Shameless' DVD of Lucio Fulci's Contraband. I enjoyed it, but I prefer his other early 80's films tbh. I can't comment on whether or not the picture was is an improvement on the BU DVD, but it did look pretty good, I only remember one scene where there I appeared to be a hair on the print.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 26th June 2014, 09:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Zombies vs Strippers (2012)

A run down strip club on the brink of closure ends up as the centre of a mass zombie outbreak which threatens both strippers and punters alike.

It's possible to hammer this film on so many levels as so much is wrong with it. However, i can cope with wooden acting and postage stamp dialogue but i found it difficult to get past the laziness of the club itself. From my knowledge of Stateside strip joints, no matter how dodgy the place they always have an atmosphere to them - loud music, girls dancing in various places etc etc. Not here though, the club scenes were practically silent, no tables, no dancers, no music - no wonder the place was in trouble. To some it may seem a minor gripe but i found it more irritating than a million shaky cam films put together. It felt like the producers couldn't be bothered to even try.

Zombies vs Strippers is the worst of a genre that's hardly classic film making at the best of times and comes across as poorly realized rubbish which can barely be classed as entertainment. A complete misfire from 88 Films.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4456.jpg (25.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 26th June 2014, 10:26 PM
Cult Addict

LINCOLN.

So, how do you tackle the life of an influential statesman without incorporating a vampire subplot?

In the case of this film from Spielberg you look at one of his most important pieces of legislation, the thirteenth amendment to abolish slavery and how he got it passed.

The country is weary from a long grinding war that has claimed countless lives. There is an end in site and Lincoln believes that it is the best moment to end slavery once and for all. The film follows all the back room negotiating, deals and compromise that was involved in making it a reality.

Being Spielberg he can't resist having a ****ing kid in the picture staring at stuff in wide eyed amazement but this is frankly kept to a minimum here so does not ruin the film with the directors usual predilection for schmaltzy crap.

Actually quite good.

Dracula. (Dan Curtis)

Great adaptation of Dracula from the legendary Dan curtis. Well worth seeking out. The Blu-ray is region locked sadly but looks astonishing.
Old 27th June 2014, 10:21 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Descent: Part 2 (2009)

For those like me who enjoyed The Descent you won't be disappointed with The Descent Part 2. The film continues where the first film left off, with the lone survivor ( Shauna Macdonald) recovering in hospital before being forced to lead a new team into the caves to search for the other girls.

The film keeps the first movies claustrophobic atmosphere and shocks with some wonderfully bloody set pieces which will keep you squinting into the shadows.

However Part 2 brings absolutely nothing new to the party. In a case of if it ain't broke don't fix it the film is a straight rerun of the original Neil Marshall thriller thus ending up as an enjoyable cave set romp, but we really have seen it all before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poster14.jpg (78.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 27th June 2014, 10:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've still not seen the Descent, it's been on my to watch list for years now!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 27th June 2014, 10:29 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I've still not seen the Descent, it's been on my to watch list for years now!
It's well worth checking out Rik. As is the sequel. But i'd watch them years apart.

Like this? Share it using the links below!