All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2013, 09:09 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
Wrong thread but i'll ask anyway

Do I need to watch any of the Dr Mabuse films before the Testament of Mabuse?

Because I want the MOC Testament Blu but I don't know if it follows on
Nah, you don't. I've never seen any others and really enjoyed it.
Old 16th July 2013, 10:10 AM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I just watched A Good Day To Die Hard.

I liked it.

Is that allowed?
Sure dude, I know a couple of people who liked it. More people now are actually starting to warm to the fourth one. Granted I still don't like 4 and won't touch 5 with a barge pole personally but hey people should just enjoy what they enjoy.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 16th July 2013, 10:16 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
Finally got around to watching "Skyfall". Not my favourite Bond film ever but beats the hell out of a whole bunch of 'em! 18/10 for the new Moneypenny, -3/10 for The new Q, 15/10 overall!

I can't remember any overalls, must've been in the tunnels!

Watched The Dark Knight Rises last night, still for me a massive screw up on one of the greatest modern Franchises. They say 3rd time's a charm I wish.

keirarts and troggi like this.
Old 16th July 2013, 10:32 AM
Cult Acolyte

I actually liked Die Hard 4. It wasn't as bad as everyone makes out. I just didn't like the main villin, He didn't seem frightening enough and came across quite weak compared to the other terrorists
Old 16th July 2013, 10:40 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
I actually liked Die Hard 4. It wasn't as bad as everyone makes out. I just didn't like the main villin, He didn't seem frightening enough and came across quite weak compared to the other terrorists
You hit the nail on the head a really bad choice of villain. But Maggie Q was aa right choice oh yes she was
troggi likes this.
Old 16th July 2013, 10:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Maniac remake was great. Cool Soundtrack.
Watched Seedpeople after. What a waste of 78 minutes.
Just terrible. Have Bait lined up for tonight.
Old 16th July 2013, 10:42 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
I was gonna pick up Maniac but im on the fence. So its well worth picking up then?
troggi likes this.
Old 16th July 2013, 10:42 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
My thoughts exactly.
Old 16th July 2013, 10:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Maniac remake is one of my favourite films this year so far, watched it twice now
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th July 2013, 11:08 AM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Seeing as how I've barely posted here lately regarding films I've actually seen recently (honestly I've been trying to squeeze in as many unwatched films from my collection as possible) I thought I may as well post from another thread for the sake of clarity on what I have thought of the few 2013 films I've seen so far:

G.I. Joe Retaliation - The first film Rise Of Cobra I'm not afraid to say I actually enjoyed as the ridiculous somewhat self-aware cartoon adaptation it was. This one for me was not so much disappointing as a film in which the oft-written troubled production can be seen throughout. Not much to really say beyond that it was passable; maybe with the extended cut on Blu, I'll give it another shot.

Evil Dead - Well produced and certainly very gory for a mainstream remake release but for me it lacks the tight-knit characterisation of the original films and perhaps comes across as too polished for it's own good; certainly not the worst horror remake by any means but somewhat lacks in personality I feel; maybe a less hype-filled re-watch will be on the cards.

Maniac - A real pleasant surprise. A modern horror remake which for me perfectly complements the original in terms of style, tone and character. Much like for me the Total Recall remake (another controversial opinion), Maniac I found an entertaining genre piece in it's own right.

Star Trek Into Darkness - While I am tempted to give the film a rewatch on home video, I was pretty underwhelmed by this particular Trek film which despite it's consistent pace and occasional witticisms suffers from being essentially too much of a story that focuses on aping a better film in the series alongside bizarre story decisions; this included for me an ending which made much of the action and emotion inconsequential. A lesser Star Trek film overall.

Man Of Steel - Easily from my personal impressions the most divisive modern comic book superhero film I've come across. Despite certain characters being given too little screen time given the length of the film and occasionally wonky cinematography, I found this to be a very enjoyable slice of action filled portentous space opera camp that just happened to be a retelling of Superman's origins. Not a popular viewpoint but I thought Man Of Steel was great fun in spite of it's clear issues.

World War Z - Thoroughly inconsistent zombie disaster film with several moments of solid grand scale catastrophe marred by a muted third act and a lack of blood robbing the horror aspects of a more visceral edge. A mostly good cast and lightening fast pace however helps a film that clearly shows it's post-production problems left right and centre. Better than I thought but for me it's a case of 'look what could have been.'

Apart from those, some of the other films I'm interested in seeing this year include A Field In England, Pacific Rim, Only God Forgives, Jodorowsky's Dune documentary, The World's End and hopefully a few others. As the year rolls on, hopefully more will peek through.
trebor8273, Hawkmonger and troggi like this.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)

Like this? Share it using the links below!