Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179658Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2013, 10:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
Yes it was amusing but on the whole the scene represents another little reinvention of Bond and cumulatively this is not a good thing. If it's not broken don't fix it - bring back Roger Moore!
I've got to agree with all of my colleagues in respect to "the Baddie". Bardem is brilliantly camp or camply brilliant and possibly the best baddie since Christopher Lee. On the "little reinvention"...I'm not so sure it is, I haven't read the books so can't vouch for Flemming's idea of the character of Bond but we all see him as a product of the Public School system with all the nudges and winks that that entails.

As for Roger Moore, well David Niven and Woody Allen both made better Bonds!

Monster Magnet
Old 15th July 2013, 11:13 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

220px-Baraka.jpg 220px-TrollHunter.jpg Pacific-Rim-Poster.jpg glimmerman.jpg MV5BMzY3NTE3NzI4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDEyOTIyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR1,0,214,317_.jpg

Baraka: Wow just an amazing piece of work. No words just fantastic music and some mighty fine camera work. I was blown away and totally entranced from start to finish. 10 / 10

Trollhunter : Great fun and the trolls look great. Proves that not all found footage films are not total rubbish. Apart from the great story and believable acting the film really showed the beauty of Norway. 8 / 10

Pacific Rim : Watched this in the cinema yesterday. I had really built myself up for this something i really try not to do but with the promise of giant robots and sea creatures fighting its hard not to be excited. The film looked fantastic the trademark use of colour by Del Toro is all over this film making the fights so fantastic but where this film lacks is the human element of the film. When ever the film spent too long with the humans i kept thinking oh get on with it. Many of the human characters are just annoying with about four exceptions from the whole cast. 8 / 10

Out for Justice and Glimmerman : Not much to say only they both have Seagal so they are awesome
Old 16th July 2013, 12:30 AM
Cult Addict

I just watched A Good Day To Die Hard.

I liked it.

Is that allowed?
troggi likes this.
Old 16th July 2013, 05:59 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Where the hell did you dig those up from?
Old 16th July 2013, 06:12 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Holy flying circus,

Wasn't sure exactly what to expect from this, but thought it was better than expected stuck to the exact type of humour you would expect from monty python crew, quite amusing and was surprised at how canny some of them looked like the monty python team that you could almost mistake some of them for the real person..
I've watched this a couple of times and think it's superb. I especially liked the Christian activist w/ tourettes.
Demoncrat and troggi like this.
Old 16th July 2013, 06:44 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
I've watched this a couple of times and think it's superb. I especially liked the Christian activist w/ tourettes.
Thought he played that part so well you could Actualy be convinced it was played by a real Tourette's sufferer.
troggi likes this.
Old 16th July 2013, 07:25 AM
Cult Addict

FESTEN (Dogme #1)

Picked up the 10th anniversary in CEX for the princely sum of £2.50. Not seen it in ages. It's still as good as I remember. Very lo-fi thanks to being shot with to the Dogme pincipals so it relies on script and acting. Both are excellent. Occassionally funny and by the end quite shocking it still has the power to make me feel very uncomfortable watching it. It's probably my favourite Dogme film (as much as I like von triers stuff) and definately my favourite Vinterberg fil (so far, i've yet to see the hunt but i'm looking forward to it.)
Old 16th July 2013, 08:52 AM
Cult Acolyte

Wrong thread but i'll ask anyway

Do I need to watch any of the Dr Mabuse films before the Testament of Mabuse?

Because I want the MOC Testament Blu but I don't know if it follows on
Old 16th July 2013, 09:00 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Nos what did you think of the Magnificent 7 sequels?

I don't think i've seen any due to poor word of mouth.
They're not up to much as each one just seems to struggle to shoehorn the idea of getting seven men to save some people or do some good into an unlikely situation with decreasing levels of plausibility.

It also doesn't help when you have Chris Adams, the character played by Yul Brynner in the first and second films, then essayed by George Kennedy and Lee Van Cleef!

They are the sort of films where you watch them with low expectations and still get a little bored. I'll be very unlikely to watch them again any time soon.
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
Old 16th July 2013, 09:02 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
Wrong thread but i'll ask anyway

Do I need to watch any of the Dr Mabuse films before the Testament of Mabuse?

Because I want the MOC Testament Blu but I don't know if it follows on
I think there's enough exposition at the beginning to get you up to date, but it works as a stand-alone film anyway.

Like this? Share it using the links below!