Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th August 2015, 08:08 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Great reviews, Frankie. I developed a bit of a 'Dohler Complex' when I started digging through the delights of Nightmare USA, so will definitely have to check out the above two films at some point... both of which I haven't seen.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 17th August 2015, 08:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Great reviews, Frankie. I developed a bit of a 'Dohler Complex' when I started digging through the delights of Nightmare USA, so will definitely have to check out the above two films at some point... both of which I haven't seen.
Thanks BE. Mmm, they're not a patch on his older stuff... well, as I said, 'Vampire Sisters' kind of scores in a latter day trash sense (if 'latter' can mean early noughties these days... god I'm feeling old). Last time I checked on Amazon they both looked weirdly expensive. I personally wouldn't shell out much beyond the poundland pennies I spilled on them years ago.
Old 17th August 2015, 08:59 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Thanks BE. Mmm, they're not a patch on his older stuff... well, as I said, 'Vampire Sisters' kind of scores in a latter day trash sense (if 'latter' can mean early noughties these days... god I'm feeling old). Last time I checked on Amazon they both looked weirdly expensive. I personally wouldn't shell out much beyond the poundland pennies I spilled on them years ago.
Thanks, Frankie - although no need to worry as I was only looking at 'paying' Youtube prices to watch them.
Old 17th August 2015, 09:53 PM
Cult Addict

The man from U.N.C.L.E

Well, I have to say I went into this with expectations dialled right the way down. Mainly due to the poor trailers and the box office trouncing its receiving from the NWA film state-side. However I'm actually rather glad I gave it a chance.
Essentially an 'origin' story, the film starts out in 60's Berlin where Napoleon Solo & Illya Kuryakin first encounter each other before getting thrown together to stop a group of Italian Facists from gaining a nuclear Bomb.
The films isn't perfect, it has one or two issues with accents, the dialogue can be a little ropey at some points, however its saved somewhat by Ritchie's directing (never thought I'd be typing that!) that imbues everything with a real 60's super-spy tone to the film that harks back to old Bond movies, Italian drama of the La dolce vita style and classic cold war spy era action. It's very much about the costumes, the drama and the dialogue and the pairing of Armie Hammer and Henry Caville who actually work quite well together. A lazy director might have simply set everything in the modern era but the effort to capture a real 60's style and attitude is really appreciated.
Certainly this ones worth a punt, a lot of people seemed to have brought their teens to the screening I was at expecting something more along the lines of Mission Impossible, and while I enjoy that nutter cruises shenanigans this film is a different beast entirely. I suspect it will gain a following on home video, and if you wait till then make sure you have a big screen and a great sound system.
Old 17th August 2015, 10:10 PM
Cult Rookie

I watched a curious little socio comedy the other night on Netflix called 'Serial' from 1980. It's about middle class people trying to adjust to life at the close of the 70s. It's pretty funny in places and Christopher Lee even crops up as a gay Hells Angel with an American accent. He says 'dude' a lot.
Old 18th August 2015, 10:42 AM
Cult Addict

Being off work in a haze of opiates, I have discovered the warm blanket appeal of the mid afternoon eco disaster film on the Horror Channel. You know the type of thing...Solar Ice Storm, Gibbonquake, and my favourite one Avalanche of Bollocks.

These films all follow a similar pattern, disaster faces the earth and only a discredited scientist can save the day along with a forestry commission worker and a skateboarding teen hacker.

Ropey CGI abounds and when angry, the hero is 'pissed'.

The appeal of these films is that I can fall asleep half way through one film and wake up half way through the next without missing a beat, so generic and cloned are the films.
Old 18th August 2015, 11:13 AM
Cult Addict

Lost Soul.

Excellent documentary chronicling Richard Stanley's decent into dope paranoia and supernatural freakery whilst trying to film The Island of Dr Moreau.

There are so many moments of utter madness in the film that when Stanley talks about hiring a magician to cast a sigil magic spell to aid him in a meeting, you don't question it but just go along with it...then the mighty Brando arrives on set.

Brando comes off as even a bigger arse than you could possibly imagine. He's great!

Stanley presents himself in a fairly good light underneath the bitterness. He also comes across as a man with little understanding of the Hollywood machine and that it takes more than artistic vision to make a film.

Recommended and playing on UK Netflix presently.
Old 18th August 2015, 11:58 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflicksthatchurchforgot View Post
I watched a curious little socio comedy the other night on Netflix called 'Serial' from 1980. It's about middle class people trying to adjust to life at the close of the 70s. It's pretty funny in places and Christopher Lee even crops up as a gay Hells Angel with an American accent. He says 'dude' a lot.
Martin Mull!

Been looking for that for years....
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th August 2015, 04:25 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflicksthatchurchforgot View Post
I gave this a spin this afternoon. Lee is quite funny in leathers with a shiny helmet! The film itself is a fairly broad swipe at psychobabble gurus and New Age thought. What is interesting is how some of these thoughts, once seen as crank or alternative are everywhere these days, in one form or another. Some good, some bad.
Old 18th August 2015, 04:56 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
and my favourite one Avalanche of Bollocks.
are you not sure you were watching the politics channel?

Like this? Share it using the links below!