Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
It's a bit funny to me because:
  1. I don't know these people
  2. It's only a film
  3. And I'm not Jewish

But, it's uncomfortable to know that such a mindset exists...

Ah, well - back to dick jokes!
Don't worry Mac.

We still love you on here even if you are a Liberal, typing... what was it again?
Old 13th December 2015, 07:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Don't worry Mac.

We still love you on here even if you are a Liberal, typing... what was it again?
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 13th December 2015, 08:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Shameless:
#25 The Bronx Warriors (1982) This really didn't hold my attention tbh. Although thats no fault of the movie, stayed up way too late. However when my attention was on it I did quite enjoy the 80's trashiness, its definatly one I'd rewatch.

Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith (2005) The best of the prequels my only gripe it the final transformation of Skywalker into Vader, It felt really rushed.

Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope (1977/1997/2004) Would have said the original...but it isn't really, still like it though. I remember being taken to the cinema by my Pa to see it back in '77 and having to queue around the corner in order to get in and see it, my Dad didn't like it!
Old 13th December 2015, 08:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith (2005) The best of the prequels my only gripe it the final transformation of Skywalker into Vader, It felt really rushed.
keirarts likes this.
Old 13th December 2015, 08:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Yeah............it really didn't work did it?
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 14th December 2015, 11:03 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I didn't think much of Prometheus.

I found it boring, overlong, poorly written and muddled.
Me too.

Creep (2014)

I never thought I’d give full marks to a new found footage horror film - one of the most boring of modern horror sub-genres - but this is excellent stuff. I was engrossed throughout as its simplistic execution is sublime, its immensely effective in its “creepiness” and the central performance by the also co-writer Mark Duplass is astounding. This is part of a proposed sequel and I’m really looking forward to the next two instalments.

**** out of ****

Pod (2015)

** out of ****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 14th December 2015, 03:17 PM
Cult Veteran

So I actually watched some films this weekend, and still nothing Christmassy - ugh, I even got Sint out and ready but never felt like it.

Dragon Inn (1967)

Great little action film where not a great deal happens, it's strengths for me lie in the quiet little scenes such as the 2 separate occasions where the wine was poisoned. I found it to be much like a Sergio Leone western but set in feudal China rather than the 'wild west'. Lots of great set pieces and action packed fights, no wire work which I felt odd but then after watching the video essay I found that wire work wasn't used at this point in wuxia films and they in fact used a trampoline which made it more impressive. Enjoyable, looking forward to A Touch of Zen.

Harold and Maude (1971)

Pitch black comedy, it's a classic and certainly ahead of it's time for 1971. Ruth Gordon as Maude is awesome and she's so beautiful and vivacious that it's not hard to believe that Harold could fall in love with her. There are too many stand out parts to name them but I particularly loved when Harold souped up his brand new Jaguar to look like a hearse after his mum sold his old one The ending was not what I expected - there should be a warning about that haha but I wont spoil for those who have not seen.

Say Anything... (1989)

Cameron Crowe's debut, and it's clear that the guy is a gifted director. Great performances from Cusack and Skye and the ever talented John Mahoney turns out a great Dad. Soundtrack is on point, the dialogue is on point and the story is gut wrenchingly real rather than heading into schmaltzy teen movie territory. Perfect Sunday afternoon viewing. It's got me in the mood for watching the best Crowe movie of them all, Almost Famous.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th December 2015, 04:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

NIGHT OF DEATH – This obscure early eighties French horror flick is set in a retirement home. The elderly residents are cannibals and there's a gialloesque killer stalking the town down the road. A nursing assistant starts a new job at the rest home and quickly becomes the focus of various oddballs, including the staff. 'Night Of Death' is quite difficult to place. It seems to go for a quirky, blackly comedic angle, albeit a fairly dry one which can't quite accommodate the surprising outbursts of gore that splurge every now and then. There are also Polanski-esque stylings, with the OAPS lurking, spying and creeping down corridors like neighbours from 'The Tenant'. The combination of ironic, arty tone and scenes of pensioners munching on human hearts is intoxicating enough, and there is an intriguing air of political allegory about it all, but 'Night of Death' is interesting rather than wholly satisfying. Worth watching though, and definitely a curio.

CLASS OF 1999 – 'The Class Of 1984' was a difficult film to follow up, it being one of the definitive teen exploitation flicks of the eighties. CO1999 doesn't quite get there, but it's a pretty good attempt. It's set in a familiar apocalyptic VHS type future America, where cities are divided up into no-go zones full of new-wavers and guns... sensible places to put the nation's schools, according to whichever hacks were on board for the script here. In another clever move, three ex-military androids have been repurposed to serve as teachers in these hellholes... who could've predicted they'd massacre all those lowdown dirty punks when they wouldn't go along with the lesson plan? Certainly not Stacy Keach, with his albino rat-tail hair do. It's a little bit baggy, but good fun nonetheless, particularly when the teacher-droids go all 'Terminator'.

THE MESSENGERS – From the Pang brothers. It's a typical 2000's mainstream ghost flick ie features a preponderance of jump scares and rusty plot devices wrapped in slick packaging. Kristen Stewart has relocated to the sticks with her family. The new house they've chosen has the advantage of coming with a sunflower farm, although as ever the estate agents have missed out that bit about the previous occupiers dying horrible deaths and the possibility of vengeful hauntings. 'The Messengers' is a passable time killer for those in a forgiving mood. It's a good looking film, and the Pang's aesthetics might throw undemanding viewers off the scent of its numerous inconsistencies.

EVENT HORIZON – Sam Neil is on an interstellar mission, spouting bollocks about folding space time and black holes and the like. I wouldn't trust him, either. You sense that his quest to recover and explore the wreck of an experimental vessel will end in tears. 'Event Horizon' is fairly entertaining, and is a variant of the “traditional horror flick set in space” epitomised by something like 'Alien'. As many others have no doubt pointed out, 'Event Horizon' could almost be characterised as “'The Haunting' beyond the stars” - if only it had a gram of subtlety. It is sort of similar in that the space craft where all the bad shit goes down is framed as a kind of sentient entity with a malevolent pull on its guests, but it jettisons any real creepiness for a load of people running around shouting and being in peril. That's OK as far as it goes, but the opportunity to explore something more 'horrific' seemed missed, and my memories of seeing it back when it came out are more positive than the impressions which followed my viewing of the other day.
Old 14th December 2015, 05:45 PM
Cult Addict

Zatoichi's vengence

Zatoichi has more Yakuza on his back and a blind priest challenging his violent ways. Between the priests guilt trip and a young boy who idolises Z's strength, Zatoichi decides not to fight back and decides to take the rival gangs violence. Eventually however Z cannot take any more and decides to strike back!
A fun but occasionally frustrating entry into the setting.

Zatoichi's pilgrimage

Starting out as an attempt to do something a little different with the series the initial premise of this was to be Z heading to 88 shrines in order to seek penance for all the people he's killed. Being that this was Daiai's cash cow franchise the idea lasts about 10 minutes before Ichi is attacked. After striking down the assailant our hero follows the would-be assassin's horse back to its village where he shacks up with his latests victims sister. Discovering the village is under the thumb of a brutal warlord with a speciality in archery Z seeks help from the local townsfolk to take on the gang only to ultimately find himself stood alone to face the gang high noon style.
The final fight between Z and the gang is stunningly choreographed and the film has some genuinely beautuiful cinematography.

Zatoichis Cane sword.

A more humorous and wise-cracking entry into the series, Z is advised by a master blacksmith that he gets one more kill from his sword cane before it will break. As its a legendary sword from a master swordsmith it cannot be repaired and Z must deal with the idea of finally going straight. He ends up working in a local inn as a masseur but ultimately ends up getting roped in to the struggles of a young brother and sister who must deal with a corrupt local Yakuza. Fortunately the smith has been working on a new sword, Z just needs to get it off the Yakuza. will his sword cane last long enough.
Terrific action with a brutal climax. Well choreographed and genuinely funny.

Zatoichi the outlaw

The most overtly political, and bloody, of the series so far. We return to the idea of Z being an actual Yakuza who discovers another corrupt boss. An upcoming younger boz of a rival family seems to embody the ideals Zatoichi values, and after realising the current boss is using his crooked gambling dens to bleed the peasants dry he institutes a regieme change and leaves town hoping things improve.
One year later he discovers if anything things are worse and the boss he idealised has ended up as corrupt as his predecessor. Z's only hope is to free the very communist-like yojimbo who has stirred up trouble preaching temperance and collectivism. Politics aside this is a brutal picture and the bloodiest so far with some graphic dismemberment. The sword fights are as well choreographed as ever.
Old 14th December 2015, 09:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Christmas Horror Marathon #10

The Return of Count Yorga (1971)

Robert Quarry's Bulgarian Count returns to prey on the good folks of California, this time those at an orphanage.

I wasn't as impressed by this sequel as i was my first encounter with Count Yorga. Robert Quarry seemed to be going through the motions at times and didn't possess the charming menace to the same degree as he had done a year previous. On the whole the acting was better though and Mariette Hartley made for a likable heroine.

However the film ups the horror quota coming in as a R -rated film rather than the PG-13 escapades of the original. Two sequences stand out as frightening and classy moments. The first when the Count's vampire brides slaughter a family at the orphanage and then the final twenty minutes which is actually as thrilling a horror ride as i've seen in a good while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6a00d83451d04569e2014e8643a8bd970d-320wi.jpg (34.1 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!