Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:24 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

From 1969 - part 2:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - One of the 'Hollywood New Wave' westerns, this one won the BAFTA for Best Picture/Foreign/Any Source.

Z - A political drama that won the Academy Award for Best Foriegn Picture, kind of bored me really.

Easy Rider - A classic? Well yes, my first time seeing this and I was hooked the moment the opening theme kicked in!

Women in Love - A Classic? errr....No! Not for me. This also bored me!

The Castle of Fu Manchu - The last of Christopher Lee's 'Fu Manchu' pictures and what a pile of dog doo this is! Awful just bloody awful!

The Strangers Gundown - A Django movie, not bad, better than the last 'Django' I watched (Django Kill! (If You Live Shoot!).

The Italian Job - Great movie, enough said! Benny Hill "I like em big!" lol

True Grit - "Fill your hand you son-ov-a-bitch" an older style western then the one at the top. Great movie and a great performance from Wayne.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service - Under rated by many over the years but seems to be making a bit of a come back. Connery exits (temporarily), Lazenby enters (temporarily). For me this is one of the better pictures in the series.

100 Rifles - Raquel Welch....water tower...wet shirt...No other reason to see this, although I did like the theme tune!

Hello Dolly - Barbara Streisand, turn of the century musical...didn't she already do one of these the previous year (Funny Girl). With the exception of the title number the tunes were pretty unmemorable.

Sabata - Another of the 'Django' clones, although this is one of the better ones. Lee Van Cleef takes the title role in this Spaghetti. Not bad and with a good score.

Journey to the Far Side of the Sun - British Sci-Fi picture from Gerry Andrerson. A lot of the cast went into Andersons U.F.O series.

Change of Habit - My last picture of the 60's is also Presley's final picture. A different type of musical to the ones he had done before reflecting Hollywood's New Wave.

Taking a break from my list for a while so I can catch up with a few other pictures.
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Some great ones there JK! Easy Rider for sure, I've only seen it the once but I loved it also.

Last night I watched The Tomb of Ligeia Which was good but not great. Price was good as ever but after seeing all of the Poe/Corman canon now I can't help but think that they're all the same, he loses his one true love, then down the line meets another woman who reminds him of her.
The sets were spectacular though and the soundtrack great and some sequences were really good, particularly the dreamlike sequence towards the end when the Lady Rowena is going mad (as they all do...).

3/5 for me.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd December 2015, 11:46 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Some great ones there JK! Easy Rider for sure, I've only seen it the once but I loved it also.
I watch Easy Rider once a year at least. It's nearing my top 10 of all time.
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:50 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I watch Easy Rider once a year at least. It's nearing my top 10 of all time.
I have a £20 voucher for HMV and I know it's in the 3 for £20 offer so I think I'll pick it up after Christmas

Old 23rd December 2015, 11:53 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I have a £20 voucher for HMV and I know it's in the 3 for £20 offer so I think I'll pick it up after Christmas
I presume it carries over Hopper's commentary and the feature length doc from the dvd.
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:56 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
I presume it carries over Hopper's commentary and the feature length doc from the dvd.
Is it called 'Shaking the Cage' If so it's listed on the cover

Old 23rd December 2015, 12:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Is it called 'Shaking the Cage' If so it's listed on the cover
That's the one.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 23rd December 2015, 05:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I'm not sure which Umberto Lenzi turned up to direct this but i'm pretty certain it wasn't the same one as made the excellent [B]Nightmare City
Nightmare City... excellent?! Does not compute. It's one of those 'so bad it's good' films if anything!
keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd December 2015, 05:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
Nightmare City... excellent?! Does not compute. It's one of those 'so bad it's good' films if anything!
I always enjoy watching it so to me it's excellent...very good anyway. Admittedly the other two i mentioned are far better.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 23rd December 2015, 08:46 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

What Films Have You Seen Recently? None, unfortunately.

Like this? Share it using the links below!