All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179852Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st March 2016, 12:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Do you know what i thought to myself as The Hunger's credits rolled?

"What would Jess have done to this material??"
I know this sounds odd, but this morning while I was thinking Ridley Scott and The Martian I was wondering whether Jess could have made something like that had he been given the money and resources to do so, or would he have got bored halfway through and started to think of other films he could be making.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st March 2016, 12:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Lady In The Van (2015, Nicholas Hynter)

Maggie Smith acts her arse off. Roger Allam does his pissed off toff bit. Alan turns up at the end. Sold!!

Inland Empire (2006, David Lynch)

Odd double bill.
Was supposed to be Lost Highway...but hosts couldn't find it in their pile.
Laura Dern acts her arse off, on and off again in this trance enducing tale of an actress haunted by the previous performer of role?????? Or somefink like that John.

Also watched Kes last night in tribute to Barry Hines RIP.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st March 2016, 12:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I know this sounds odd, but this morning while I was thinking Ridley Scott and The Martian I was wondering whether Jess could have made something like that had he been given the money and resources to do so, or would he have got bored halfway through and started to think of other films he could be making.
This could run and run....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st March 2016, 07:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458591556.057829.jpg

A childhood favourite. A young man who spends he's days dreaming of a better and getting away from the trailer park he lives on. Beats the high score of a game not knowing it is a test to find and recruit people to become a star fighter. He is soon whisked away by Centauri(an alien who has a very cool space car ) on an adventure to save the Galaxy. By today's standards the computer effects are very poor, but back in the day there where draw dropping. Fun and very enjoyable movie, that would of had a sequel if not for poor box office sales. But have been rumours of a remake for years. 8.1/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458592099.545787.jpg

Classic 50s sci-if with some wonderful harryhausen effects. 8.5/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458592219.570856.jpg

Another film in which harryhausen effects are the real star of the film. A spacecraft crashes of the coast of Scilly which has brought a creature back from Venus which has an sweet tooth for sulphur, it soon begins to grow in size and it's not long before it has to be hunted down and killed, highlights include the fight between the creature and an elephant. It might of just been me but I felt sorry for the creature as it was hunted down, this was down to harryhausen wonderful effects that brought the creature to life. 7.8/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458592728.459101.jpg

Another classic harryhausen, this time about octopus that has growing to giant size thanks to nuclear testing and sets it sights on destroying San Francisco. 8.1/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458592847.206444.jpg

The sixth Godzilla movie. A group of aliens inform earth that they need the help of Godzilla and Rodan to help them battle ghidorah and offer earth advanced technologies in return, it's not long before we find this is a trick to get control of earth by using ghidorah and Godzilla and Rodan which are now under alien control. So it's up to the greatest minds on earth to find away to stop them while finding a way to free Godzilla and Rodan. 9/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458593258.853083.jpg

The seventh Godzilla movie which involves a group of youths and a thief that end up shipped wreaked on an island which is inhabited by a terrorist group that is making heavy water. The island is patrolled by Ebira a crab like monster. We soon find that the terrorist are using people from infant island (home of Mothra ) as slave labour so it's up to our heroes with a little help from Godzilla (who just happens to have ended up here after the last movie) and Mothra to rescue the people of infant island and escape. 6.7/10

Next up ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458593671.344780.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458593681.209110.jpg

Last edited by trebor8273; 21st March 2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 21st March 2016, 09:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Hypnotist (2012)

Moderate police procedural thriller from Sweden.

Directed by Lasse Hallstrom, he of the excellent Chocolat (2000). The film fails to really ignite until the gripping set piece on the ice in the final reel. Although well acted the story just didn't do enough to entertain or indeed thrill for the most part, and whilst never boring - the film boasts some excellent cinematography - certainly wouldn't draw me back for a second viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1008645_nl_the_hypnotist_1365512645985.jpg (93.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 22nd March 2016, 08:29 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The Hypnotist (2012)

Directed by Lasse Hallstrom, he of the excellent Chocolat (2000).
And the director of the even better What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Cider House Rules.

I agree with you about The Hypnotist though, because it was fairly average when compared to similar films and TV shows.
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd March 2016, 08:32 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
And the director of the even better What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Cider House Rules.

I agree with you about The Hypnotist though, because it was fairly average when compared to similar films and TV shows.
I've seen neither of those. Just Chocolat , Salmon Fishing in the Yemen and The Hundred Foot Journey. All of which are very good.

Casanova not so good.
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd March 2016, 08:41 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I've seen neither of those. Just Chocolat , Salmon Fishing in the Yemen and The Hundred Foot Journey. All of which are very good.

Casanova not so good.
You should make an effort to catch them. As far as I'm concerned, they are his best two films.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 22nd March 2016, 05:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Anyone else seen a doc called Let the Fire Burn (2013)?

Also watched Buckaroo Banzai and Sheba Baby recently and was not impressed with either.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 22nd March 2016, 07:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458678280.504726.jpg

An excellent start to a fantastic trilogy. Well acted with a great cast and direction. Only downside for me with all three movies is that it's to grounded in reality, there should be a hint of fantasy with the character of batman. Still a fantastic group of movies. But I still like the Burton films better, these might be better films But the Burton films are better batman films 9.2/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458678566.444357.jpg

Enjoyed this more than the last few times I saw it, don't get me wrong it's not a bad movie, it just felt more like a alien invasion movie with superman nothing more than a brutish ape at times, BUT this was all set up with batman vs superman in mind. With superman having to become the hero we all know and earn the trust of the planet . I still find the scenes on krypton and with Kevin Costner the more interesting parts of the film 8/10

Next up

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458678799.745466.jpg

Last edited by trebor8273; 22nd March 2016 at 07:52 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!