Streets of fire
Class of 84
10 Rillington place
Bad boys, prison version not the action version,
Kez
Futureworld
Assault on precint 13

Plus other films.
These are the type of films that make me debate on no matter how good films are todays (even tho i think most aren't) they just dont hold up and make them like they use to
Old 22nd August 2016, 06:38 AM
Cult Addict

Z

Based on real events the film boldy declares any similarities to real people or events is intentional. It begins with a political rally where a left wing candidate is assasinated, the authorities try to paint it as a tragic accident however an autopsy is orderd and points towards a deliberate assault. The film then follows the investigations of the investigative magistrate (Jean-louis Trintignant) who begins to realise the death is actually an assasination by a right wing military junta looking to seize power.
Z is an incredible, documentary style thriller that feels inspired by The battle of Algiers in its approach and has to have had some inspiration on new wave Hollywood directors like william Friedkin. The Australian DVD from Umbrella looks great and is region free and should actually be affordable. Well worth picking up.

The French connection

Decided to double bill Z with this. Like Z it takes a documentary style approach to delivering the story as we follow Popeye Doyle (Gene Hackman) and his partner (Roy Scheider) following through a case on gut instinct and uncovering a huge Heroin deal. I don't really need to sell this to anyone as most people here will have seen it but if your multi region then grab the Filmakers signature series release as its great, though its worth keeping hold of the UK release for the Mark Kermode documentary.
Old 22nd August 2016, 06:59 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I was on a bit of a VIPCO trash style binge this afternoon. I also ordered Bava's Graveyard Disturbance. Lamberto not Mario. It would be ridiculous to think Mario could make a film as shit as that. A film i've owned three times previously and ditched three times too. However i got the urge to pick it up again. I always think it won't be so bad this time around, but i'm sure it will be. Still, i've sworn to keep hold of this copy no matter what.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Thinking of checking out 'Graveyard Disturbance' myself, as it's one piece of late eighties Italo shite that I haven't actually seen. Although your history with it doesn't seem to bode well.
I recently re-watched Graveyard Disturbance (check my last 'in depth' () post in this thread) and rather enjoyed revisiting it.

Hopefully you fare better this time around Dem.

Also, as we're on late '80s made for TV Italo-horror you need to check out Dinner with a Vampire if you haven't already too.
Old 22nd August 2016, 07:39 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Recent watch involves,

Bad boys, prison version not the action version
Hmmm!

Is there something you need to tell us?
keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 22nd August 2016, 07:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Hmmm!

Is there something you need to tell us?

Ill let you ponder on that thought
I say to much at times on here as it is, and then get bullied and picked on for it
Maybe i should say less
Susan Foreman and keirarts like this.
Old 22nd August 2016, 10:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Estranged (2015, Adam Levine)
Twas on THC. Couple on holiday suffer a road accident which leaves one of them with amnesia. Returning to the family home to recuperate, the reception they receive isn't the warmest.....quite gripping up to a point.

The Unfolding (2015, Eugene McGing)
Another FF film. Don't go haha. Couple investigate paranormal shenanigans on Dartmoor. Some nice locations bolster this tale of revenge from beyond. I felt they could have made more of the backstory chiming with the events they witness, as the ending lead me to believe???

Devils Of War (2013, Eli Dorsey)
Prime piece of exploitation. In that, even though tis only 70 odd minutes, there is padding, excruciating dialogue of the "We zink you have ze answer, Tommy!" variety, hot blonde nazi babes, and a racist character!! Well worth the £1 I paid for it haha.

Unlike.....SAS: Black Ops (Rishi Thaker, 2014)
A film that has serious pacing problems. Decent enough story, but all in all twas NOT worth the £1 haha. Aka Slaughter Is The Best Medicine

Supernova (2000, Walter Hill!!)
Burroughs was right. We cannot go into space whilst dragging our human failings with us. The back story with this film is far more interesting...so go check that out ahem.

MI 2 (200, John Woo)
Mate gave me a few R1 discs a while back, this is one of them. One of the few Woo films I've avoided due to the Cruiser. Wish this had remained the case. Ok, so tis the PG13 cut I've watched, which is shorn of some action sequences, I presume? Certainly the gunplay looked "toned down". Exciting set pieces abound, which is par for the course, but if I never see it again.......

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd August 2016, 10:55 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post

Also, as we're on late '80s made for TV Italo-horror you need to check out Dinner with a Vampire if you haven't already too.
I haven't seen Dinner with a Vampire.

As far as i'm aware Mya are the only company to have released it, and Mya being Mya i was always dubious. I notice there are multiple versions about but not all are English friendly. There's a Czech release at a very good price but has no mention of English language tracks.
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd August 2016, 11:38 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I haven't seen Dinner with a Vampire.

As far as i'm aware Mya are the only company to have released it, and Mya being Mya i was always dubious. I notice there are multiple versions about but not all are English friendly. There's a Czech release at a very good price but has no mention of English language tracks.
I have the Mya disc and it is pretty good (for Mya anyway!)
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 22nd August 2016, 11:39 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I have the Mya disc and it is pretty good (for Mya anyway!)
I added it to my wishlist earlier so when the Pound performs a bit better i'll order it.
Old 22nd August 2016, 05:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2010)

Although he didn't direct the film this remake of a 1973 tv movie bares all the hall marks of producer / script writer Guillermo del Toro. From it's atmospheric opening and it's creepy mansion with foreboding grounds all decked out in gorgeous Autumnal colours it's unmistakably del Toro...or Tim Burton.

The story is a familiar tale of an architect (Guy Pearce) moving into a new old house with his girlfriend (Katie Holmes) and young daughter ( Bailee Madison) a house they are restoring. It's not long before odd things happen to the daughter and there seems to be something living in the basement putting everyone in danger.

The film has a mix of tension, playfulness, and sudden shocks, somewhat akin to 1987's Dolls and the whole thing has a lovely Gothic fairy tale horror feel to it even with the reveal of what resides in the basement. However the final outcome is rather downbeat and decidedly darker and scarier than what precedes it.

I don't know how this was received on release but i have to say i was pleasantly surprised at how much i enjoyed the film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large_yZlKw02AuEJQ4oOFC3kUjFxqiUj.jpg (73.7 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!