Like Tree179659Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd August 2016, 08:18 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I know, but that's the best I had for a general description or subgenre without giving too much away to those who haven't seen it.
Yes, i can understand that.
Old 22nd August 2016, 09:02 PM
Cult Master

I watched They Live and Big Trouble In Little China with the Commentary on .They Live with John Carpenter and Roddy Piper man Roddy sounds like a broken man at some points he lived and seen some days.

Big Trouble was very funny with Kurt Russell what a great double team those guys make.

I don't usually watch films with the commentary on im just working through the John Carpenter films.
Old 22nd August 2016, 09:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Seven

Fantastic stuff had me gripped from beginning to end. Great acting all round and proved Pitt wasn't just a pretty face. The ending is still shocking even though it loses some impact after the first viewing. Can't believe this is only the second time I've seen this, first time being on release 9.1/10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seven_(movie)_poster.jpg (27.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 23rd August 2016, 06:49 AM
Cult Addict

The seven-ups

While it could be argued this is French connection-lite that's still not a bad thing. Plus its much better than french connection 2. Roy Scheider is essentially playing the same character from the first French connection as head of a 'dirty tricks' squad that goes after a pair of crooks when one of their team is killed.
It retains the grim & gritty urban squalor of 70's new york and includes a car chase that actually manages to rival the intensity (almost) of the Friedkin film. Its a solid cop movie with some nice turns from the cast including Richard Lynch as a terrific villain, Tony Lo Bianco whi is always great and a great perfromance from Joe Spinnell. Worth picking up the UK blu-ray if you haven't already as its totally packed and looks great.
Old 23rd August 2016, 08:37 AM
Cult Acolyte

Network double bill!

MADE
Carol White stars as single mum who falls in with travelling folk - rock star Mike Preston ( Roy Harper ) in this little seen 1972 flick which features a great soundtrack from Harper himself. Look out for a neat cameo from 'Whispering' Bob Harris here too.
I thought this was a nailed on candidate for a BFI Flipside ( with all the extras and so on ) but still it's good to see Network putting out this grim slice of early 70s drama on blu ray, complete with booklet.

REVENGE
A suspected child murderer is captured, beaten up and imprisoned in the cellar of a pub in this lurid 1970 UK shocker.
Another nice looking blu ray from Network, it is a gripping enough story, though I can't help feeling it might have been more suited to 60 a miinute 'Thriller' type episode.
Old 23rd August 2016, 02:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I watched They Live and Big Trouble In Little China with the Commentary on .They Live with John Carpenter and Roddy Piper man Roddy sounds like a broken man at some points he lived and seen some days.

Big Trouble was very funny with Kurt Russell what a great double team those guys make.

I don't usually watch films with the commentary on im just working through the John Carpenter films.
The Thing is one of my favourite comm tracks.

Watched Panic Button last night on THC.
A sobering lesson for those who click/comment on stuff they shouldn't really be watching ahem!! Worth a look. These Frightfest films have been ok so far...looking forward to Landmine Goes Click on Saturday etc.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd August 2016, 04:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Spirit (2008)

Having already watched this when it first appeared on dvd i knew what i was letting myself in for.

Eight years later and the film hasn't improved one iota. In fact it seems incredibly dated in 2016. Basically the film is about a battle between cop killed in action turned superhero, the Spirit, (a lifeless Gabriel Macht) and his deadly rival the Octopus, Samuel L Jackson, in possibly his worst role to date.

Directed by comic book legend Frank Miller this really should have been better. It clearly takes Miller's own Sin City as it's source material as the film is almost identical in look to that film but nowhere near as effective, in fact it drags to the point of being boring and feels more like a pastiche than anything, and not a very good one. Miller's direction is uninspired and he fails to produce any tension or excitement to elevate the film above the levels of dross. Miller fails to replicate Sin City's Noir brilliance on any level and the film feels like a derivative mess.

Even a cast of sexy women cannot save the film. Eva Mendes, Paz Vega, Stana Katic, Sarah Paulson, Jaime King and Scarlett Johansson try their best and look fantastic in all manner of costumes but cannot save the risible storyline from tedium.

Will i ever watch the film again? It's doubtful although i'll keep hold of the dvd due to it's nice slipcase and gorgeous set of art cards of the film's lovely ladies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Movie-poster-the-spirit-3205417-505-755.jpg (96.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 23rd August 2016, 05:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Last night I caught American Ultra on Sky. I had no idea what it was about and thought that if it was shit I'd find something else.
A stoner dude and his missus live in Smalltown USA, dead end Cash and Carry job, no prospects but enjoys the herbal life whilst drawing pictures of his Apollo Ape superhero. It took about 15 minutes to start kicking but then takes off like a rocket for the rest of the film.
It is a bit predictable and clichéd but what a lot of fun! And violent! I really enjoyed it. If you're searching for something on the telly and you see it, it is well worth the 90 odd minutes of your time. I might even get a Blu of it if I see it cheap enough!
Old 23rd August 2016, 06:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

House of Wax (1953)

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 23rd August 2016, 06:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Two viewings for tonight one which I only saw when it was released ( true romance) and the other which is my first viewing ( castle of blood)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg castleblood.jpg (44.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg True_romance.jpg (40.4 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!