Like Tree179659Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2016, 10:07 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
If there is another monster in The Bride of Frankenstein, I would contend it is Dr Pretorius, beautifully essayed by Ernest Thesiger, who cleverly manipulates Henry Frankenstein into creating another reanimated human being. He is such a wonderfully funny and sinister person, someone who elicits fear and laughs due to his many vices and interactions with 'The Monster' (with Karloff arguably giving a finer performance in this film than the 1931 classic).

I love both of them for different reasons, with Frankenstein as probably the simpler and purer horror film, and Bride of Frankenstein as one which is probably deeper, with more humour, a more personal film for James Whale, and one which is blessed with a better score, make-up effects, production and art design, and camerawork than the original.
You often look at things from a technical point of view following your film studies whereas i'm purely in it for the entertainment and couldn't give a monkeys if it was a personal film for Whale.

You still haven't reviewed The Haunting of Annie Dyer yet by the way. A film that gets a whopping 1.6 / 10 on IMDB. Without actively looking for the films with the worst ever scores i think that is the lowest i've ever come across myself.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 14th October 2016, 10:23 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You often look at things from a technical point of view following your film studies whereas i'm purely in it for the entertainment and couldn't give a monkeys if it was a personal film for Whale.

You still haven't reviewed The Haunting of Annie Dyer yet by the way. A film that gets a whopping 1.6 / 10 on IMDB. Without actively looking for the films with the worst ever scores i think that is the lowest i've ever come across myself.
Putting the technical aspects of the Frankenstein films to one side, I enjoy Bride of Frankenstein more than the 1931 Frankenstein film.

As for The Haunting of Annie Dyer, I haven't reviewed it because I haven't watched it yet!
Old 14th October 2016, 11:19 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Cold Prey (2006)

One of the very better modern slashers.

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 14th October 2016, 02:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
Cold Prey (2006)

One of the very better modern slashers.

***1/2 out of *****
Have you seen the sequel? I was a little underwhelmed by that.
keirarts likes this.
Old 14th October 2016, 03:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Great review Dem. One of the best films ever made. While i believe we agree that Bride is actually inferior what are your thoughts on it?
Bollocks you steaming great Tw@T .Bride is a beautiful and suburb film. These views are solely the view of me and do not represent the rest of these Tw@ts. Feel free to step outside where you will find my henchmen.

Old 14th October 2016, 03:49 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Have you seen the sequel? I was a little underwhelmed by that.
Yeah I like that as well. Maybe not quite as much as the first but it’s still very entertaining. I don’t like the prequel much though.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Last edited by Cinematic Shocks; 14th October 2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 14th October 2016, 06:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

SATAN'S BLOOD
A man and wife are invited to stay at a strange couple's house, only to find themselves embroiled in satanic ogies and murder. The whole thing doesn't make any sense and the man and wife's lame excuses to keep going back into the house rather than legging it get pretty silly. But it does have some bizarre creepy moments and is well worth a watch on Screenbound's blu ray, who have to be commended for releasing such an obscure Spanish horror as this.

EYE IN THE LABYRINTH
Rosemary Dexter plays the lead role of a woman who has violent dreams about the death of her friend and her search for him leads her to an island populated by a small group of strange bohemian types, who all act strangely towards her.
What I really liked about this Giallo was the fact that all of the characters seemed to have something to hide and there were so many strands going on, you couldn't really see where it was all going. Very enjoyable and recommended Spanish blu ray.
Old 14th October 2016, 07:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Tower of Evil (1972)

When a group of tourists are found slaughtered on Snape Island, sole survivor, the sexy Candace Glendenning is suspected of the crimes. However when therapist Anthony Valentine shows her some multicolured lights the truth begins to come out about what happened. Meanwhile a group of archeologists head out to the lighthouse on Snape Island in search of pagan artifacts.

Plot wise the first hour of Tower of Evil is all over the place. Some scenes showing what had happened and others showing what was taking place. Flitting randomly between identikit 70's youths distinguished only by the fact that Glendenning and Robin Askwith were with the original party. Fortunately there's a hell of a lot taking place. The film is chock full of nudity, sex and gruesome violence - and that's just the quieter moments. Heads roll, hands are severed and Askwith is speared by a pagan artifact and that's just for starters.

The film then takes a left turn and decides it wants to be more than just a gory slasher so the script throws in the ancient god Baal - the god of fertility - perhaps that's why there's so much shagging taking place. Whilst it's a little simplistic towards it's pagan rituals it really doesn't matter as the whole thing is so balmy and wildly entertaining.

The island and lighthouse is all fog bound and wonderfully Gothic in nature meaning that although set in the present day (70's) it feels like a classic old dark house film which takes it out of the realm of say, Pete Walker, and into the domain of Hammer.

Tower of Evil is one of those films that seemingly ran on British tv every other Friday night in the early 80's yet seems rather under appreciated when it comes to best horrors of the decade lists, by myself also. It's a shame because Tower of Evil is ****ing awesome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tower of Evil US MPI Gorgon Video VHS Front.jpg (98.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 14th October 2016, 07:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Cold Prey 2 (2008)

*** out of *****

Old 14th October 2016, 07:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mortuary (1983). 7.5/10 10/10 for Bill Paxton's performance

Return of the living dead. 9/10

Captain America: The first Avenger. 7/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!