Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th January 2019, 10:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Duel To The Death 1983.

Every 10 years a great swordsman from China and Japan face each other in duel of honor, this time round there is a plot to rig the duel now the two enemies uncover the plot and decide whether to fight or not.

This is one of those cheesey type martial arts movies that does a lot of high flying with strings attached movies with the bad dubbing and some comedy added with bendy katana swords and plenty tomato sauce for blood. The acting is good as well as the sword fights are good choreographed. It's good for a watch for fans of this type of movies 6 out of 10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Duel_to_the_Death_AC_Poster.jpg (96.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 6th January 2019, 11:16 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You're welcome, J.

Have you actually seen Penetration Angst or the 2005 one Isolation?
No mate I haven't so thanks for the recommendations. When i think of the past two or three years I can't think of much. The Ritual was the only distinctly British one that came to mind. And while i liked it I'll be honest I didn't think it was a patch on Ghost Stories.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th January 2019, 10:10 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
No mate I haven't so thanks for the recommendations. When i think of the past two or three years I can't think of much. The Ritual was the only distinctly British one that came to mind. And while i liked it I'll be honest I didn't think it was a patch on Ghost Stories.

I'll give it another go sooner rather than later and see if my thinking changes.
Old 7th January 2019, 11:03 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Personal Shopper (2016)

Kristen Stewart plays a young woman who is a personal shopper for a celebrity she barely sees, picking up hugely expensive clothes for said star to wear for charity events and gala dinners. Stewart also professes to be a medium and wants to talk to her now dead brother following a pact she made with him prior to death that whichever of them died first would come back and contact the other from the after-life.

Not the most conventional supernatural horror story i'll grant you but it's certainly interesting especially as it goes behind the often closed doors of someone who works for celebrities. Tension builds slowly but the film hinges on a great performance by Stewart as events gradually fray her nerves. The film dares to defy genre conventions and i don't recall any of the usual jump scare techniques so often employed by Hollywood thrillers, just an atmosphere that gradually intensifies, culminating in some original ghostly manifestations.

The director Olivier Assayas does a great job, especially with some elongated sequences of texting, somehow allowing reams of tension to build rather than making the viewer nod off.

The end result is a film that's mysterious, ever so slightly arty-farty and very compelling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PERSONAL-SHOPPER.jpg (94.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 7th January 2019, 11:09 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'll give it another go sooner rather than later and see if my thinking changes.
I'll catch up on a few of the recommendations. Can get a copy of Isolation from Amazon for under 2 quid and it does sound promising.

Old 7th January 2019, 11:47 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I'll catch up on a few of the recommendations. Can get a copy of Isolation from Amazon for under 2 quid and it does sound promising.

Good choice, J.
Old 7th January 2019, 02:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Doll of Satan.

Elizabeth(Erna Schurer) is a young girl who has just inherited her uncles castle after the reading of his will. and after arriving there with her fiance and meeting the strange occupants she begins to experience strange erotic dreams were she is tortured in a medievil dungeon.

Not a bad effort, and quite stylish and atmospheric in the old castle. the story is a bit average though and rather slow. and although there is a black gloved killer on the rampage, the film is actually rather tame and bloodless.
Erna Schurer is very nice on the eye though. an actress who has a look of a young Catherine Denerve who is actually rather good in the lead role.

An okay watch. a film for undemanding giallo fans. 71 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5zMlukO.jpg (18.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Paul Zombie; 7th January 2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 7th January 2019, 04:25 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Watched the Japanese MARTIN blu ray yesterday.
Easily the best looking I've seen it.
keirarts, bleakshaun and MrBarlow like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 7th January 2019, 05:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted R!!

Assassination Nation

Witch hunting 2.0
4 high school friends enter the void when a hacker runs amok in their community. Recommended?

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th January 2019, 05:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Equalizer 2018.

Robert McCall is enjoying the quiet life as a uber driver, when his friend is killed he is drawn back to his past.

This was a decent Sequel, not as fast paced as the first movie and can drag on in places, but the action fighting sequences are good, Denzel portrayal is same as the first movie troubled young person and trying to keep them on the straight path and hiding his past that slowly resurfaces, blended with a good background score mixed in. 7 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the equalizer.jpg (34.4 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!