Old 19th June 2019, 08:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Pet Semetary (2019)

Sometimes unremade is betterer.

I didn’t mind it, but when you consider how good the IT remake/new adaptation was, this was a bit of a let down
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 19th June 2019, 09:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Season of the witch 1972.

A bored housewife gets mixed up. With a coven of Witches which leads to murder.

George A. Romero stated the film poor sales was due to the budget and editing of the film, listed as two hours long Arrow released the edited version of 90 minutes which threw the film into a mess, no disrespect to Romero, with this it should be called the coven of sexually frustrated housewives. The film made no sense to be a horror, the only thing saving it was decent acting. 4-5 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hqdefault.jpg (17.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 19th June 2019, 09:34 PM
Cult Addict

I didn't mind the new Pet Sematary either up to a point.

In my mind neither films are perfect but the original is better.

For me the remake was well acted and atmospheric but the relationship with Louis and Judd is too rushed to have any impact, the story twist was pointless and the end pretty silly, also when i saw it in the cinema the Zelda part made me laugh.

The original has two wooden parents and a shit annoying spirit, but wins out with a great performance from Herman Munster, a great Church and a more emotional and disturbing ending with Gage.
Also Zelda is creepy as f*ck .

Remake 6.5/10
Original 8/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 19th June 2019, 09:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Instantly forgettable and pointless sequel , bland and uninspiring zero chemistry between the two leads and added to that a awful unfunny so called comedy relieve character. 3 points for Chris Hemsworth getting his top off, 1 point for the film.4/10

Fiend without a face.

When people start winding up dead the locals of a small Canadian town blame the local military base. But we soon find the real reason for the deaths to be far more sinister. A scientist who has been working on thought waves has unleashed creatures that are giant brains with a stinger tale .

Kept expecting the doctor , the brig and the rest of unit to arrive at some point with the Pertwee era vibe the film had. 8/10

When a girls farther goes missing her and her boyfriend set out to find him, they do find him in a cave but he's dead and they find what's responsible , a giant spider that sets it's sights on the small town. 6/10

Now watching Toy Story.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk
Old 19th June 2019, 09:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I didn’t mind it, but when you consider how good the IT remake/new adaptation was, this was a bit of a let down
I'm other way round thought IT was utter garbage , and pet Semetery well as remakes go it was OK and watchable and lot more acceptable than most remakes these days .
Old 19th June 2019, 09:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I'm other way round thought IT was utter garbage , and pet Semetery well as remakes go it was OK and watchable and lot more acceptable than most remakes these days .
I loved IT, watched it 4 times since it came out and I’m really looking forward to part 2 in September
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 19th June 2019, 10:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Creeping Flesh (1973)

Freddie Francis' Hammer esq film is pretty much a Tigon production in all but name. It's depiction of evil as a skeletal figure which grows it's own flesh back when exposed to water has similarities to Blood on Satan's Claw from a couple of years previous, it also shares the same desperately bleak feel as well.

Despite being perhaps one of Peter Cushing's less heralded roles i do think he gives one of his best performances and a special mention to Lorna Heilbron too. Notably a tv actress, she's terrific as Cushing's daughter and is largely at the centre of the plot throughout. The only other thing i remember her from is Larraz's Symptoms (1974), in which she gives another terrific performance.

Francis's camerawork is inventive. From long shots of the cowled creature stalking the English countryside in the moonlight to a creatures eye view as it attacks Cushing in a sequence strikingly similar to his 1965 film The Skull.

So while it remains an enjoyable watch, it's difficult to shake the feeling that certain scenes and ideas have been used previously.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Creeping-Flesh-poster.jpg (68.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 19th June 2019, 10:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well, I hated both of them

So we'll call it a draw

Marathon Man (1976, John Schlesinger)
When an earnest student discovers that his business man brother is just a tad shady, a world of pain unfolds as various factions try and glean what he knows about their shenanigans. Based on William Goldman's rather readable novel, this a firm favourite. "Is it ... safe ?"

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th June 2019, 01:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Devil's Child 1997.

A woman makes a deal with the devil to save her child. 20 years later, the daughter meets a stranger living in the same apartment block but not all is what it seems.

I thought I'd try and watch this a second time...still nope, what a cheap made for TV film rip off, aside from decent actors in it, still does very little for their acting as it seems wasted but decent soundtrack still avoid, 90 minutes of your life will be wasted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qkT941MeIFaY5wgl7Ntr95T6YXe.jpg (92.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 20th June 2019, 08:45 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Pick Up (1975)

Nothing like the exploiter you might expect from the film's poster, this is something else entirely.

Beginning with a young hippy type fellow picking two young women up in his RV the film then treads a path of the bizarre in what is possibly a journey of self discovery.

Whilst difficult to describe, it felt like a trippy look into Wyrd America with it's haunting shots of the Everglades along with strange sexual rituals involving sun Gods and wild mysticism. It certainly has an air of surrealism about it and the finished film feels more arthouse than it does grindhouse. You definitely get the feeling that Pick Up, had it been British, would have been released as part of the BFI's Flipside range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pick Up Poster.jpg (51.5 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!