Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st August 2021, 10:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Universal Soldier. 1992.

Two soldiers killed in Vietnam are brought back to life in a Military operation Uni-Sol and their memories wiped out. During a hostage rescue, one slowly regains his memory while the other believes he is still fighting a war.

This one of the decent action, science-fiction from 1992, James Cameron brought out Terminator 2 the year before and Roland Emmerich gave us this with JCVD and Dolph Lundren. I remember seeing it when it came out and loved it and it's still enjoyable. Only downside with the 4K UHD release the volume is a bit crap, the sound has been tuned up and the dialogue gets low then turn it up and basically turning it down again.

universal-soldier-dvd-movie-cover.jpg
Old 31st August 2021, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Universal Soldier. 1992.

Two soldiers killed in Vietnam are brought back to life in a Military operation Uni-Sol and their memories wiped out. During a hostage rescue, one slowly regains his memory while the other believes he is still fighting a war.

This one of the decent action, science-fiction from 1992, James Cameron brought out Terminator 2 the year before and Roland Emmerich gave us this with JCVD and Dolph Lundren. I remember seeing it when it came out and loved it and it's still enjoyable. Only downside with the 4K UHD release the volume is a bit crap, the sound has been tuned up and the dialogue gets low then turn it up and basically turning it down again.

Attachment 235894
Can't you change audio to 2 channel?
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 31st August 2021, 10:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Can't you change audio to 2 channel?
I tired changing the audio, managed to find a bit of a balance but not perfect
Old 31st August 2021, 10:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
I tired changing the audio, managed to find a bit of a balance but not perfect
One of the Amazon reviews says the soundtrack is poor and would have beneffited from a DTS or Atmos track.
Old 1st September 2021, 12:01 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
One of the Amazon reviews says the soundtrack is poor and would have beneffited from a DTS or Atmos track.
DTS would have been better
Old 1st September 2021, 12:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Universal Soldier: The Return. 1999.

Luc the only survivor of the Unisols project and back to being normal, is working with D.O.D on another Unisols project combined with Artificial Intelligence Computer SETH. SETH wants the soldiers to be superior and alters their programme when the project is due to be shut down.

I wasn't thrilled when this was announced back in the day but after watching it, this was a decent follow up, ok the acting may be bland and Goldberg is a decent wrestler but can not really take him as a film actor and seems to try and over act everyone. Michael Jai White provides the voice of SETH and makes his appearance in human form half way through. The fight scene between him and JCVD is decently choreographed and a bit OTT, still enjoyable.

maxresdefault.jpg
Old 1st September 2021, 03:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Escape from New York (1981)

Kurt Russell plays antihero Snake Plissken for the first time in this classic sci-fi thriller. In 1997 Snake is sent to the walled off ruins of Manhattan island in a race against time to rescue the President - "Who's President" asks Plissken - from what is now a high security prison populated by the scum of the Earth.

John Carpenter gives this a fun but tense atmosphere in a film ahead of it's time but also a film that has been frequently aped over the tears. Russell is joined by Lee Van Cleef, Donald Pleasence, Adrienne Barbeau, Harry Dean Stanton, Tom Atkins, Isaac Hayes and Ernest Borgnine in what remains Carpenter's greatest cast list.

A genuine science fiction classic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EscapefromNYposter.jpg (26.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 1st September 2021, 05:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Soylent Green. 1973

Earth is over populated and resources at a low, nourishment is provided by Soylent Industries, when a member of the industry is murdered, Detective Thorn and his partner Solomon 'Sol' Roth. Thorn is persuaded to close the case but doesn't and dwells deeper and uncovers a secret by Soylent Industries.

A very decent stylish classical film with Charlton Heston and Edward G. Robinson who died nine days after filming, making his scenes more outstanding and pleasurable to watch a very great actor perform in his last film.

This is set in 2022, population and food shortage in our stores, did some people predict the future
The film was known for it's twist ending, first time I saw this I was in a state of "Holy Sh~t" and leaving you with a look of dredd like Mr Heston's face, gotta hand it to Richard Fleischer and Richard H. Kline able to create bright colors inside and outside on the street you get a hazy green. Enjoyable and Entertaining as always.

Soylent_Green-444547064-large.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg end-is-near.jpg (24.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 1st September 2021, 06:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Francesca (2015)

The film starts with a girl poking a dead pigeon with a sharp stick, then going on to poke a baby in the eye with the same. She laughs as the mother screams. Fast forward 15 years and it turns out that the girl went missing after the incident, and the anniversary of the disappearance coincides with a mysterious murder where the killer has left pennies in the eyes of the victim, along with a cryptic note with an snippet from Dante’s Inferno.

…Cue the police investigation and the unfolding of the rest of the convoluted story in this impressively stylish and vintage-looking modern giallo - complete with a disco score that is more than a simple ‘nod’ to Goblin.

MuckyFunster says : “Check it out”

IMG_1366.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mojo, Justin101, Demoncrat and 8 others like this.
Old 1st September 2021, 07:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Omega Man. 1971,

Biological war has left Dr. Robert Neville immune to the virus and turned the rest of the population into nocturnal creatures that are sensitive to the night. When Robert finds a band of survivors and one of their group slowly turning he believes he can cure them.

Re-telling the Richard Matheson story of I am Legend that was made with Vincent Price in The Last Man On Earth, then came Charlton Heston in this version that has one of the eeriest opening sequences for me of a desolate down town Los Angeles.

We see newscaster Anthony Zerbe in a flashback sequence going on about the war between Russia and China and bombs going off then he has become the leader of the nocturnal's called "The Family" which they believe science and technology are the enemy and don't want to be cured. This was very creepy when I first saw it and still find it creepy and very tense in some places, Still brilliant to watch.

omega-man-poster.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!