Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I thought that with the first one.
You're not the only one.
Old 10th May 2023, 10:31 PM
Cult Addict

I loved the first one. I felt it took an admittedly unoriginal idea and freshened it up, made it interesting and visually it was fantastic.
Avatar 2 is arse. Odd because it's the only thing Cameron has ever made I wasn't impressed with. Even Titanic, which gets mocked a lot, I'm happy to admit i absolutely adore.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
trebor8273 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 10th May 2023, 10:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I loved the first one. I felt it took an admittedly unoriginal idea and freshened it up, made it interesting and visually it was fantastic.
Avatar 2 is arse. Odd because it's the only thing Cameron has ever made I wasn't impressed with. Even Titanic, which gets mocked a lot, I'm happy to admit i absolutely adore.
I feigned a terrible hangover to get me out of seeing Titanic. It was one of my supposed regular Sunday afternoon cinema trips during the 90's when we basically saw anything and everything.

I just couldn't face it.

I have seen it once on dvd and quite enjoyed it (One of those two disc movie and music releases where you get the soundtrack album as well). I also own it on Blu...but have yet to watch it.
Old 11th May 2023, 07:08 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I thought that with the first one.
I can well imagine. I have to see something so I can opine on it for all that.
nicholasrope and iank like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th May 2023, 10:24 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

FRIDAY THE 13th PART 5: A NEW BEGINNING – The series hits peak silliness (arguably, or at least does battle with ‘Jason Takes Manhattan’ for the trophy). It’s like they were stumped – “where shall we go? It’s 1985, slashers are old news!” “Shh, let’s just amp up the stupid bits of 3 and 4 and pretend it’s Scooby Doo while we figure something out.” It’s not like Scooby Doo, but there is an element of that at the end there. Otherwise, ANB plays like a comedy without laughs. At least I THINK they were joking, or trying to, because the parade of bloodless kills suggests they weren’t that into the horror (although a lot of that had to do with the notorious MPMA meddling). Forget stormy nights and lakeside beheadings, this one’s about weirdly choreographed singing in the toilet and goths doing robotics. Its unreality is summed up by the bit where they need ‘Jason’ out of action for a few seconds, so they engineer a kid bursting from a barn on a tractor to knock him over. That’s quite cocky. On the other hand, there’s more sleaze than usual for an F13, and a slightly leering, obnoxious attitude that cuts against the breezy tone. This trashy approach is a little at odds with the scene right at the start, where Jason emerges from his grave in the rain like a classic movie monster of yore, a nicely atmospheric bit that sets you up for a very different film (one we possibly get in Part 6). As a serious horror film, ANB is nearly worthless; as a crass bit of exploitation it’s a lot more successful, and I bet if it were a standalone movie outside of the franchise it’d be the latest eighties obscurity with a deluxe VinSyn upholstery job, complete with frenetic blurb.

FRIDAY THE 13th PART6: JASON LIVES! – Along with ‘The Final Chapter’, ‘Jason Lives!’ is often hailed as a series best. For me it’s an odd film, tonally at sixes and sevens even as it impresses with visual style and atmosphere. The start is pretty audacious, a re-run of the first minutes of ‘A New Beginning’, a graveyard re-animation sequence that culminates in Jason’s rebirth as a maggot-infested Fulci-esque Frankenstein. That in itself should signal its allegiance with eighties horror hokeyness, and in fact we do get dribs and drabs of era ‘humour’ in the form of irritating paintballers and a scattering of one-liners. But the abiding feeling is darker – for starters, it looks so different to all the other Fridays, kind of a lot more ‘goth-noir’ if that makes any sense. There’s a ‘con on the run, racing against time’ thread running through it that cements a noirish association, but then also the presence of a classful of kids in need of protection against our unstoppable hulk, an aspect that pushes it towards dark fairy-tale territory. Incongruities come and go, and an element of splatstick never quite gives up the ghost, but it leaves me more with a sense of brooding woodland menace not all that far removed from the end of the first. Interesting direction, a strong effort and a surprise after ‘A New Beginning’, which was a guilty pleasure if ever there was one.
Old 11th May 2023, 11:51 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Excellent write up on the sixth Friday the 13th film, Frankie. It's always been my personal favourite and i've had fun watching it countless times yet your review makes me want to watch it all over again.

Consider that a complement.
Old 11th May 2023, 11:57 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Excellent write up on the sixth Friday the 13th film, Frankie. It's always been my personal favourite and i've had fun watching it countless times yet your review makes me want to watch it all over again.

Consider that a complement.
Exact same.
Old 11th May 2023, 12:02 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
FRIDAY THE 13th PART 5: A NEW BEGINNING – The series hits peak silliness (arguably, or at least does battle with ‘Jason Takes Manhattan’ for the trophy). It’s like they were stumped – “where shall we go? It’s 1985, slashers are old news!” “Shh, let’s just amp up the stupid bits of 3 and 4 and pretend it’s Scooby Doo while we figure something out.” It’s not like Scooby Doo, but there is an element of that at the end there. Otherwise, ANB plays like a comedy without laughs. At least I THINK they were joking, or trying to, because the parade of bloodless kills suggests they weren’t that into the horror (although a lot of that had to do with the notorious MPMA meddling). Forget stormy nights and lakeside beheadings, this one’s about weirdly choreographed singing in the toilet and goths doing robotics. Its unreality is summed up by the bit where they need ‘Jason’ out of action for a few seconds, so they engineer a kid bursting from a barn on a tractor to knock him over. That’s quite cocky. On the other hand, there’s more sleaze than usual for an F13, and a slightly leering, obnoxious attitude that cuts against the breezy tone. This trashy approach is a little at odds with the scene right at the start, where Jason emerges from his grave in the rain like a classic movie monster of yore, a nicely atmospheric bit that sets you up for a very different film (one we possibly get in Part 6). As a serious horror film, ANB is nearly worthless; as a crass bit of exploitation it’s a lot more successful, and I bet if it were a standalone movie outside of the franchise it’d be the latest eighties obscurity with a deluxe VinSyn upholstery job, complete with frenetic blurb.

FRIDAY THE 13th PART6: JASON LIVES! – Along with ‘The Final Chapter’, ‘Jason Lives!’ is often hailed as a series best. For me it’s an odd film, tonally at sixes and sevens even as it impresses with visual style and atmosphere. The start is pretty audacious, a re-run of the first minutes of ‘A New Beginning’, a graveyard re-animation sequence that culminates in Jason’s rebirth as a maggot-infested Fulci-esque Frankenstein. That in itself should signal its allegiance with eighties horror hokeyness, and in fact we do get dribs and drabs of era ‘humour’ in the form of irritating paintballers and a scattering of one-liners. But the abiding feeling is darker – for starters, it looks so different to all the other Fridays, kind of a lot more ‘goth-noir’ if that makes any sense. There’s a ‘con on the run, racing against time’ thread running through it that cements a noirish association, but then also the presence of a classful of kids in need of protection against our unstoppable hulk, an aspect that pushes it towards dark fairy-tale territory. Incongruities come and go, and an element of splatstick never quite gives up the ghost, but it leaves me more with a sense of brooding woodland menace not all that far removed from the end of the first. Interesting direction, a strong effort and a surprise after ‘A New Beginning’, which was a guilty pleasure if ever there was one.
I've not got as far as these two yet. I'm having a bit of a break as I wasn't blown away with either 3 or 4. While 4 is by far the better of those two. Nice write ups though Frankie as always. 6 sounds very intriguing.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 11th May 2023, 05:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Knucklebones (2016)

Some young people manage to resurrect a demon from the depths of hell by rolling some knuckle bones. Naturally said demon then goes on a rampage.

Remember when films like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) were banned due to their perceived use of chainsaws as a weapon, even though there would be little bloodshed seen on the screen?

Well in Knucklebones a guy gets a chainsaw rammed up his arse in vivid close up and we get to see his guts spill out from his er' separated buttocks. There may well have been issues with that in the 80's.

I have to say i loved this 80's slasher throwback. Which encapsulates all that was good about the genre including a great looking demon that reminded me of an unmasked Jason Vorhees from later Friday films with quips straight from a Freddy Krueger phrase book.

A great bloody low budget throwback to the splatter era, Knucklebones is a lot of fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knucklebones.jpg (96.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th May 2023, 09:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quatermass And The Pit. 1967.

While digging for a extension to a London Underground Tunnel, the diggers come across something hidden that is believed to be a alien spaceship.

This is an example of Hammer at its finest, the early scenes with the alien aircraft in the pit are very good and the film holds the attention throughout. With limited resources at hand the director, Roy Ward Baker, directs some great scenes, weird and strange and chilling, brought on with some great acting by Julian Glover, Barbara Shelley, Andrew Keir and James Donald. The effects may be outdated but still works like a charm, it does take a while for things to begin but the build up of atmosphere is certainly there throughout the whole film.

MV5BNzdiMGEyZjItOWE3ZS00NmY3LWI3MDctZmVhOTljZWNkNzBmL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTYxNjkxOQ@@.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!