All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd July 2023, 05:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Still processing the new Indiana Jones.
The distance shot of running on the train, near the start looked really shonky. Not sure how that passed approval.
Yeah, I know what you mean. That shot of Indy running on top of the train looks terrible!!
Old 2nd July 2023, 07:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Enemy (2013, Dennis Villeneuve)

When a teacher is recommended a film as a means to relax, a supporting character catches his eye.
90 min! Dark, brooding atmos? Check! Jake Gyllenhaal? Check!
I will say that due to a phobia, I may have missed something with this one ahem. Plus a couple of decisions did seem rather rash.
An odd one.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd July 2023, 07:46 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Still processing the new Indiana Jones film, not sure what to make of it. After 55 minutes, it becomes much more cartoony than I would have liked. Will very probably still buy it. I've got a feeling that it will just be a standard blu-ray purchase rather than 4K UHD (the only reason I own Crystal Skull in 4K is because I bought the four disc 4K UHD set to obtain the classic trilogy). It is better than Crystal Skull (I think). btw The distance shot of running on the train, near the start looked really shonky. Not sure how that passed approval.
I thought Crystal Skull was great so "better than" is a good sign for me.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 2nd July 2023, 08:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I thought Crystal Skull was great so "better than" is a good sign for me.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
I quite like the first half of Crystal Skull.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 2nd July 2023, 09:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)

John Huston directs this classic drama about two out of work drifters who enlist the help of an old prospector in a bid to find gold in the Mexican hills.

Although i'm used to seeing Humphrey Bogart as an anti-hero throughout his Hollywood heyday i still struggle with his role here which is mainly downright nasty due to basically going crazy, distrustful and extremely paranoid to the point of murder thanks to the gold haul. It's a fine performance and in the years since become highly influential but it's not one of my personal favourites.

Meanwhile Tim Holt and especially Walter Huston, director John's father, are excellent as Bogart's fellow prospectors who stay relatively sane despite the corrupting power of greed.

The opening third of the film is terrific, set in the Mexican town of Tampico where Bogart scrabbles around desperate to find the money to live, you can also see how it affects him later on whilst in the mountains thanks to being ripped off by a corrupt businessman after two weeks of employment.

It's interesting as with Casablanca's incorrect "Play it again, Sam" that this is another Bogart movie with an oft misquoted line. In this case "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!" has become"We don't need no stinking badges" along with many other mutated versions of the dialogue in film and tv since.

The premium Collection Blu-ray is of excellent quality and as well as the regular Warners Night at the Movies feature and a commentary there's a fifty minute documentary on the film, it's themes and it's effect on popular culture over the years and a two hour eight minute documentary on the film's director John Huston. All in all a brilliant package and well worth tracking down if you can still get hold of it.
Old 3rd July 2023, 08:23 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Undertaker (1988)

Joe Spinell stars as Uncle Roscoe, the town undertaker who may or may not be interfering with the bodies for some sort of necrophiliac ritual to ensure that his seed (or something) makes it into the next life (or something). Uncle Roscoe’s suspicious nephew enlists the help of his college tutor in an attempt to investigate the going’s on at the funeral parlour only to apparently trigger the bodies to pile up as Uncle Roscoe tries to cover his tracks.

I really enjoyed this weird, grisly little slasher. Joe Spinell hams it up to some extent, with Uncle Roscoe’s over the top talking to himself and other crazy behaviour. He definitely seems drunk in pretty much every scene he appears in - slurring his speech constantly and looking really sweaty under the lights. It’s hard not to compare his craziness with the more polished “Maniac”. It could almost be a sequel and I’m sure the filmmakers were hoping to cash in on Maniac’s success.

The film has an interesting production story as it was never released theatrically or on home media, and the only complete copy was in Joe Spinell’s private collection. With a pile of lost scenes and sketchy editing the plot is a bit disjointed, but overall it’s a fun and interesting watch and I’d recommend it. I’m keen to show this films to a few pals, so I’ll be watching it again soon - maybe in a double feature with Maniac.

5F2E56A9-F967-4DA1-99F6-88C5B349700E.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3rd July 2023, 12:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

d704a2fc77112f77f0d0cd216f95.jpg
ANZIO (1968)

War correspondent Robert Mitchum and a handful of US Rangers try to make it back to their own lines at Anzio and report on German positions after many are killed in an Ambush at Cisterna..
Based around the true story of the landings at Anzio, the film is actually a slow burner as we follow the group of US Rangers. I had not seen the movie in quite some time and I enjoyed it. A war movie with a message as Robert Mitchum recounts the mistake after the landings with costs many lives. Instead of pushing forward to an empty Rome, the decision was made to hold Anzio and the Germans had time to counter attack.
Old 3rd July 2023, 01:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Ed Wood (1994)

Tim Burton's gorgeously shot in monochrome biopic of the legendary 'worst director of all time' Edward D Wood jr, as brilliantly played by Johnny Depp, and his struggles to get his low budget movies off the ground and eventually into cinemas.

Despite the title of the film, Burton's piece works best as a tender tribute to Bela Lugosi as it depicts the final three years of his life and his dependency on drugs. Martin Landau is utterly superb as Lugosi and thoroughly deserved his Best Supporting Actor victory for his portrayal of Bela at the 1995 Academy Awards.

The Blu-ray features a poignant eight minute love letter to Lugosi from Landau and FX artist Rick Baker who also won an Oscar for his prosthetic make up performed transforming Landau into Lugosi, which is as affecting as the films portrayal itself.

On watching you do get the feeling that this was a deeply personal film for Tim Burton and one he really wanted to make.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_7618 (Medium).jpeg (92.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 3rd July 2023, 07:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Ed Wood (1994)

Tim Burton's gorgeously shot in monochrome biopic of the legendary 'worst director of all time' Edward D Wood jr, as brilliantly played by Johnny Depp, and his struggles to get his low budget movies off the ground and eventually into cinemas.

Despite the title of the film, Burton's piece works best as a tender tribute to Bela Lugosi as it depicts the final three years of his life and his dependency on drugs. Martin Landau is utterly superb as Lugosi and thoroughly deserved his Best Supporting Actor victory for his portrayal of Bela at the 1995 Academy Awards.

The Blu-ray features a poignant eight minute love letter to Lugosi from Landau and FX artist Rick Baker who also won an Oscar for his prosthetic make up performed transforming Landau into Lugosi, which is as affecting as the films portrayal itself.

On watching you do get the feeling that this was a deeply personal film for Tim Burton and one he really wanted to make.
Love this film. Martin Landau’s role as Bela Lugosi is up there with one of the best performances I’ve ever seen.
Old 3rd July 2023, 07:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Love this film. Martin Landau’s role as Bela Lugosi is up there with one of the best performances I’ve ever seen.
The scene where the kid asks for his autograph and inadvertently mentions him supporting Karloff. Haha! Fantastic.
Mojo and nicholasrope like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!