LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th August 2021, 09:46 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Torso. 1973.

A killer is targeting young students from a university, the police have no clues except a red and black scarf, could one of the students know and be connected to the killer without realising it.

For some reason this film has never really entertained me as other Giallo films but today I surprised myself by sitting through it and really enjoyed it. Suzy Kendall plays the English foreign student who's friends seem to be getting bumped off by a killer in a white mask. This was a decent stylish cat and mouse game thriller with some good built up tense moments, the murders are very stylish and gory.

Attachment 235765
What's the Blu like, Mr.B? Image wise i mean.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 24th August 2021, 09:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
What's the Blu like, Mr.B? Image wise i mean.
Sharper but there sound twitches for like 0.05 second about twice due to adding in scenes that were deleted, I saw a rough cut and that's why I never appreciated it, the scenes were added in have Italian subtitles but certainly appreciative of Shameless though for cleaning the film up.
Old 24th August 2021, 09:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Sharper but there sound twitches for like 0.05 second about twice due to adding in scenes that were deleted, I saw a rough cut and that's why I never appreciated it, the scenes were added in have Italian subtitles but certainly appreciative of Shameless though for cleaning the film up.
It really annoys me when they add scenes to films and the picture quality suddenly goes shit and the soundtrack goes to subs.

Why can't they restore the added scenes? It was bad enough with dvd's but when a blu-ray suddenly drops to sub vhs quality it's really jarring.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 24th August 2021, 10:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
It really annoys me when they add scenes to films and the picture quality suddenly goes shit and the soundtrack goes to subs.

Why can't they restore the added scenes? It was bad enough with dvd's but when a blu-ray suddenly drops to sub vhs quality it's really jarring.
God knows, but they do try and give the audience what they want even though the scenes were probably sat in a tin can in a vault for years gathering dust and the english dubbing actors are probably passed away. Just like one day they might release the full uncut of The Devils
Old 24th August 2021, 10:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
God knows, but they do try and give the audience what they want even though the scenes were probably sat in a tin can in a vault for years gathering dust and the english dubbing actors are probably passed away. Just like one day they might release the full uncut of The Devils
It's not the subs that frustrate just the drop in film stock quality. Can't remember what i was watching recently but a long conversation kept going from HD to shagged vhs and back again. Really annoying.
Old 24th August 2021, 10:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
It's not the subs that frustrate just the drop in film stock quality. Can't remember what i was watching recently but a long conversation kept going from HD to shagged vhs and back again. Really annoying.
That would do anyone's nut in, surely the picture quality could have been touched up
Old 25th August 2021, 12:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

This Is England. 2006.

12 year old Shaun bullied by other boys finds solace with a bunch of skinheads, soon his new friends become family and his loyalty is tested when Combo takes over the gang and splits them and shows Shaun what a proper skinhead should be.

This was a great piece of British film making, Shane Meadows was able to take part of his life and dramatise it with Thomas Turgoose as the young Shaun who feels he belongs with the gang. Stephen Graham plays Combo who looks to be the father figure of Shaun and somewhat of unpredictable loose cannon and is able to play the part well. With Romper Stomper and American History X this one is far better and had me stuck to my seat from start to finish.

This_is_england_film_poster.jpg
Old 25th August 2021, 05:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Darkness (1993, Leif Jonker)

Rather gory little thing this. Chap tries to evade a vampire cult and that. Ittenbach vibe a gogo.
Recommended to those who like claret with their claret
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DLY.jpg (33.9 KB, 3 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 25th August 2021 at 06:14 PM.
Old 25th August 2021, 06:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

American Nightmare (1983)

A sordid slasher movie from Canada about a wealthy pianist trying to track down his prostitute sister in Toronto's dark and seedy underbelly.

The pianists trail is full of vice, blackmail, incest and savage murder. The locales are all squalid and the majority of the characters degenerates. The gloominess of the lighting and the vhs quality picture add weight to the film and make the murders appear more brutal. The bathtub kill is hard viewing. It's long and drawn out and downright nasty come the end.

There's a crudeness about American Nightmare that ups the ante in the sleaze and grit departments, in fact it has a strong Giallo vibe to it making it more than just a slasher film.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AMERICAN_NIGHTMARE.jpg (97.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 25th August 2021, 06:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted D!!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!