Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2023, 10:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Saw Legal Eagles last night. A young woman's attempt to steal a painting plunges a lawyer and an Assistant DA into a complex criminal conspiracy. Robert Redford, Debra Winger and Daryl Hannah star in this mid 80s legal romantic comedy thriller from Ivan Reitman, with support from Terrance Stamp and Brian Dennehy. Been aware of this for a long time - I think it was on one Xmas in the late 80s - but I don't think I've ever seen it before. Found it thoroughly enjoyable, quite oldfashioned by 80s standards, but charming and with that lovely 80s look to it. And like so many films from this period, almost every single role is played by an actor you recognise - one-scene bit parts played by the likes of Marshall Bell, Seinfeld's mom and Buffy's mom! - which is in stark contrast to so many movies today, where I don't even know the leads let alone the side or bit actors! Very entertaining.
Old 12th August 2023, 10:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Shanghai Express (1932)

Tells the eventful story of a train load of passengers held hostage by revolutionaries during the Chinese civil war including Marlene Dietrich's notorious prostitute 'Shanghai Lily' and a former lover in Clive Brook's British army captain.

I bought this Indicator Blu-ray mainly because i love the cover art which reproduces the movie poster below. Marlene Dietrich was always someone i felt over did her acting in the few other films i'd seen her in such as 1952's Rancho Notorious, however she's brilliant here.

She absolutely radiates serpentine like sexuality in a performance which came across as both powerful and slinky and she looks stunning, Partly helped by the fabulous photography and sumptuous use of light and shadow from director Josef von Sternberg as well as a gorgeous array of costumes.

A special mention to Anna May Wong and Warner Oland who is best known as Inspector Chan in the Charlie Chan series of films. The two play mind games throughout the film until it comes to a bloody conclusion.

This is probably as extravagant as civil war China ever looked and i'll definitely be checking out more of Dietrich's work with von Sternberg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shanghai_Express_(1932)_original_poster.jpg (47.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 13th August 2023, 07:01 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sleepless. 2017.

A police officer's son is kidnapped and has 3 hours to collect a large amount of seized coccaine and return it and get his son back.

Jamie Fox is the somewhat seen corrupt cop and not so much devoted father at the start but then goes on the hunt for his missing son and fending off other officers on his trail. Set in and around Las Vegas that it is often shown and Fox able to take a beating and have a fist fist with other copper Michelle Monaghan, this is not a spectacular film yet it does have its moments of being good so it's really not a waste of time.

5039036081061-1_93acc34b-0730-4237-b617-9bc92b441572.jpg
Old 13th August 2023, 09:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cobweb (2023, Samuel Bodin)

The set up for this one promised something interesting if not groundbreaking, but it is a film of two halves and didn't hold my attention like it initially had. Ho hum.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th August 2023, 09:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Dare. 2019.

A family man wakes up in a derelict basement with three other people. Clueless where they are or why they have been kidnapped.

This was a blind watch, Richard Drake seems to be a father figure to a boy who is not his son and the boy develops a somewhat Stockholm Syndrome and is encouraged to cut out the pain and be strong. Mitchell Norman is the young Dominic and is a decent young child star and is forced to endure a lot that a child shouldn't go through. Heads up there is a strong bit of violence aimed at a youngster. As the film goes on you don't know who to exactly cheer for, the four people or the tormentor. The pace isn't exactly quick nor slow but decent enough to pass some time.

MV5BN2IxZWFkNjEtMDVhNy00NTkxLWIyNWUtNWIxMzNiNWZiNjY2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI2MTczMTY@._V1_.jpg
Old 13th August 2023, 12:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Devil Hunter (1980)

Following the kidnapping of a famous screen siren a couple of army veterans set out into the South American jungles to bring her back but soon have to contend with cannibals and their weird deity as well as the kidnappers.

Al Cliver is in genuine heroic leading man form in this dubious effort from Jess Franco which lacks anything in the way of political correctness (Thank God). It's a riot of dire dubbing and daft antics chock full of nudity with a naked ping pong ball eyed cannibal dude at the center of it all.

It's certainly sleazy and quite camp with it yet for all it's wonkiness it looks quite beautiful with some gorgeous locations and cinematography to match... when Franco isn't zooming his lens into tribe girls arses that is.

Devil Hunter is one of those Franco films that i just cannot dislike. It's seriously flawed and practically impossible to critically analyze but great fun so just sit back and go along for the ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3bGAEqKjwFEWlQh6SG7j6MBk57q (Large).jpg (72.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 13th August 2023, 08:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Music And Lyrics

Hugh Grant plays a former 80's Pop Star who is hired to be a Songwriter to the latest Female Pop Singer (Think Taylor Swift) but comes stuck thinking of the lyrics but by chance hooks up with Drew Barrymore and together come up with the song. I really like this Film, it's such an easy watch and TBH, the songs are really good and catchy (They are like they could've been from an 80's Pop Band.

Rat Man

A Science Experiment goes wrong where a Rat and Monkey gets combined and becomes the world's smallest killer. David Warbeck and Janet Agren end up travelling to find her missing Sister but encounter the creature. This Film had potential but wasn't executed as well it could have been however they did have a great scene where the creature was hiding in a carry bag, if the Film was full of scenes where it would be hiding in the smallest places, it would have been much better.

Frontiers

Fleeing riots during a French General Election, a group end up being abducted, tortured and murdered by a Family of Nazi's. This was part of a wave of brutal French Horror Movies, it doesn't mess around giving the gore and scenes of tension. It's worth a watch but I'm happy with the DVD I've got.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mal.jpg (14.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg r.jpg (12.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg f.jpg (10.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 14th August 2023, 02:54 AM
Cult Acolyte

The Sadness. Taiwan falls victim to a rapidly spreading pandemic that turns its populace into lust fulled homicidal maniacs. This 2021 horror flick is entertaining if disturbing, though the uber-violence, sadistic sexual undertones and general bleakness and nihilism mean I can't say it's going to be one I want to watch again anytime soon...
Old 14th August 2023, 01:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Saw a bit of Cape Fear on BBC1 last night. Looked gorgeous in HD. That's been added to the old Blu-ray wish list. A list that never ends.
Old 14th August 2023, 02:08 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Saw a bit of Cape Fear on BBC1 last night. Looked gorgeous in HD. That's been added to the old Blu-ray wish list. A list that never ends.

This is one I haven’t watched since VHS and I do really fancy it lately. Is it currently available in HD I always had a feeling it was out of print.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!