All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2024, 06:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Keep An Eye Out (2018, Quentin Dupieux)

More bafflement from you know who.
Starring Benoit Poelvoorde ... you know him cough ... as a world weary copper who is trying to interrogate a murder suspect. Things don't go the way he wants. It all gets a bit ... meta ahem. Even if one particular sequence was genuinely edge of the seat, this one doesn't really pan out, and I got the feeling that he perfected what he wanted here with the recent film Yannick anyhow. Lawdy.

Daisy Derkins, Dog Sitter Of The Damned (2023, Mark Mackner)

If this one isn't featured on Best Of The Worst soon, I'll send them it myself haha. Poor audio, poor acting, poor FX make this very poor overall, but a laugh riot for all that. NEXT

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th January 2024, 10:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lethal Weapon 4. 1998.

The duo basically start off facing against someone with a flamethrower and machine gun then Roger becoming a butt of a joke 9 months later and then facing off against a Chinese Triad. Danny and Mel are bouncing off each other with the humour while Joe Pesci sneaks in with some comedy and shows his acting abilities while talking serious to Riggs. Chris Rock turns up but isn't a loudmouth or overly annoying where the mute button comes in handy. Jet Li is the antagonist who says very little and can be a decent bad guy in his first American produced film. This may seem a bit over the place as during production there was a few technical issues....like the script not being finished but for what it's worth this was a decent fourth film in the franchise.

91t25TTHFFL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Old 5th January 2024, 08:10 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Lethal Weapon 4. 1998.

The duo basically start off facing against someone with a flamethrower and machine gun then Roger becoming a butt of a joke 9 months later and then facing off against a Chinese Triad. Danny and Mel are bouncing off each other with the humour while Joe Pesci sneaks in with some comedy and shows his acting abilities while talking serious to Riggs. Chris Rock turns up but isn't a loudmouth or overly annoying where the mute button comes in handy. Jet Li is the antagonist who says very little and can be a decent bad guy in his first American produced film. This may seem a bit over the place as during production there was a few technical issues....like the script not being finished but for what it's worth this was a decent fourth film in the franchise.

Attachment 249432
Watching this again for the first time in years awhile back I realised how much I actually hate Chris Rock acting only film he was ever good in was New Jack City cause he plays a loudmouth annoying idiot so it suited him down to the ground.

Back in the 90s I thought his comedy was funny looking back it isn't
Old 5th January 2024, 08:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Watching this again for the first time in years awhile back I realised how much I actually hate Chris Rock acting only film he was ever good in was New Jack City cause he plays a loudmouth annoying idiot so it suited him down to the ground.

Back in the 90s I thought his comedy was funny looking back it isn't
I'm not a big fan of Chris Rock, New Jack City he was himself at being a loudmouth, he was decent in Spiral which surprised me.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 5th January 2024, 09:38 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
I'm not a big fan of Chris Rock, New Jack City he was himself at being a loudmouth, he was decent in Spiral which surprised me.
He had moments in Spiral but I think my dislike for him wouldn't allow me to get past it
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.
Old 5th January 2024, 10:42 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I too thought Rock was fine in Spiral. I still haven't seen New Jack City despite owning the Premium Collection Blu-ray for years.

My favourite Rock performance is probably the much maligned CIA comedy thriller Bad Company (2002) where he's trained by Anthony Hopkins.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 5th January 2024, 11:15 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I too thought Rock was fine in Spiral. I still haven't seen New Jack City despite owning the Premium Collection Blu-ray for years.

My favourite Rock performance is probably the much maligned CIA comedy thriller Bad Company (2002) where he's trained by Anthony Hopkins.

Not seen New Jack City in years myself I did love it back in the day I have always loved Ice-T musically and acting so there is that. I must give it a watch soon see if it still holds up.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 5th January 2024, 11:57 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Deadlier Than the Male (1967)

Directed by Ralph Thomas with a screenplay by Jimmy Sangster this Bond-lite adventure based on Sapper's 20's and 30's fictional character Bulldog Drummond, although the film's title came from a Rudyard Kipling poem, The Female of the Species.

Although a lot of fun the film isn't played as a comedy as many Bond style productions were at the time, see James Coburn's marvellous Flint movies as a prime example. Indeed Richard Johnson who portrays Drummond plays it totally straight down the line in a portrayal that would have made a fine James Bond. Much of the humour comes in the shapely forms of Elke Sommer and Sylva Koscina who play two of the sexiest assassins you'll see and are proven much more deadly than the male. The two are wonderful together. Practically playing a game of one upmanship as they go along murdering the directors of Phoenecian Oil, a company who want to grab oil rights in an fictitious country and eventually the the murder of the country's King.The girls constantly bicker and spar with one another and bring a wicked streak to the production. Of the two, Koscina wins out for me with her mischievous smile and almost innocent attitude to things, including murder.

The film has high production values or at least it appears that way with parts of the film playing out in exotic Mediterranean locales. Also hinting at a decent budget are a fine guest cast including Nigel Green, Suzanna Leigh, Leonard Rossiter and seemingly in a precursor to his role in The Persuaders, Laurence Naismith.

The film is tremendously entertaining. The kills are stylish and innovative and some sequences, including a very bizarre chess game, seem straight out of The Avengers, also a devilish henchman played by Milton Reid gives Drummond someone to scrap with meaning the whole thing is effortlessly enjoyable if slightly quaint popcorn entertainment.

The Network Blu-ray looks and sounds great
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lf (Medium).jpg (89.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 5th January 2024, 03:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 24

The New Kids (1985)

An excellent thriller from Friday the 13th's Sean S. Cunningham in which newly orphaned brother and sister Shannon Presby and Lori Laughlin move to a small Florida town and an amusement park run by their aunt and uncle. However it's not long before they fall foul of James Spader and his local street gang.

I'd not seen this before Christmas Eve and really enjoyed it. It's fast paced and hugely satisfying, the levels of threat from Spader and co escalate as the film progresses, starting with mild high school flirting with Laughlin to out and out murder and destruction at the finale as the gang hunt down the kids in the amusement park as the film moves away from frat boy hi-jinks to sheer terror and horror.

The limited edition 101 Films release of this had been in my possession a while and was a great blind buy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-new-kids-poster.jpg (69.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 5th January 2024, 03:42 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The New Kids (1985)

An excellent thriller from Friday the 13th's Sean S. Cunningham in which newly orphaned brother and sister Shannon Presby and Lori Laughlin move to a small Florida town and an amusement park run by their aunt and uncle. However it's not long before they fall foul of James Spader and his local street gang.

I'd not seen this before Christmas Eve and really enjoyed it. It's fast paced and hugely satisfying, the levels of threat from Spader and co escalate as the film progresses, starting with mild high school flirting with Laughlin to out and out murder and destruction at the finale as the gang hunt down the kids in the amusement park as the film moves away from frat boy hi-jinks to sheer terror and horror.

The limited edition 101 Films release of this had been in my possession a while and was a great blind buy.
Never seen this sounds right up my alley tho think I'll grab it
nicholasrope likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!