Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179681Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th January 2024, 10:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sudden Fury (1975, D. Brian Danude)

Hands up who thinks the director's first name was Dwayne?
Ahem.
Canadian caper.
When a marriage reaches boiling point, the husband's reaction to an accident sets the course of the plot. Do recommend this one, as it was certainly something that seemed familar, but due to the setting it kept me watching. Hmmm. Rereading that, it does look thin, but I'm trying not to spoil anything. Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th January 2024, 10:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Heartbreak Ridge. 1986.

Big Clint is the tough hard nosed Marine Gunery Sergeant who clashes with his superiors, ex-wife and tries to train up a group of recruits who rather party. Strong and hilarious story of a two fisted Marine Sergeant whipping a hopeless looking unit into a crack fighting team is still compelling. Mario Van Peebles is hilarious as the Young punk rocker who tries to pull a fast one only to come face to face with Clint who has fear in his eyes. Everett McGill is Sergeant Major who has a attitude about everything. The training scenes are taking serious but you know one or a few recruits will do something to create a laugh that never goes well for them.

MV5BZWNiOTY4ZGUtYzM2Ny00ZTE2LThjZmEtNjI2MzA5NDRmNTczXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_.jpg
Old 13th January 2024, 11:03 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

DEAD AND BURIED – ‘The Mad Town’ is probably a horror trope. You could almost think of think of ‘Dead And Buried’ as a hazed-out ‘Two Thousand Maniacs!’ with spectres and desolation in place of rednecks and yeeha. There might be some peripheral relationship with ‘The Fog’; old jazz playing after dark and, uh, fog. ‘Dead And Buried’ is full of night sounds. James Farentino is a cop trying to fathom the mystery behind all the corpses that are turning up in his little burg. He seems gritty, but even before we reach the reveal that pulls the curtain on the town’s awful secret, we sense that he may be a mere plaything of destiny. There’s just such an air of foreboding about it all. Little details sink their hooks; underwater bells ring down shadowed avenues…a fissured fist pumps zombie angst. Eyes are a big thing in ‘Dead and Buried’. One eye is stabbed by a syringe; another, glassy, slips inside a socket at the end of arch-mortician Jack Albertson‘s greasy fingers. Of course, the eyes of the crazed undead are behind their cameras and Moviolas, making them a kind of zombie paparazzi, the first line in the capture of souls. ‘Dead and Buried’ verges on profundity. I mentioned ‘Two Thousand Maniacs!’, but a truer comparison would be ‘Messiah Of Evil’. There’s a horror of small towns as replaying a deathly Americana; “when will we be done with all this sepia-tinted bullshit?” I hear it asking in its sad, faraway voice. Not the kind of place you want to stop for a selfie, but anyway, welcome to Potter’s Bluff.

RETRIBUTION – It’s never a good sign when someone’s hairdo pisses me off within the first five minutes. The strange helmet worn by Dennis Lipscomb throughout ‘Retribution’ might have popped up at my art school a few times in the early noughts. It seems odd to imagine the fashion victims there cribbing from VHS era horror, but you ever know. Lipscomb plays a painter who can’t cut it in the big city. Void of hope, he takes a dive from the top floor – someone should’ve at least pointed him towards a good barber first. Anyway, at the moment of impact he's possessed by an orphan spirit, and now Lipscomb and his awful wig are the vessels by which a wronged gangster will exact his revenge. ‘Retribution’ thrums with a solid eighties horror vibe; the preponderance of neon and nice, garish colours tells you that, as does the fact that Lipscomb’s eyes shine green whenever he goes into spirit vengeance mode. I don’t know though, I love the style but somehow feel a bit short changed. ‘Retribution’ is always teasing its wares, then backing out into filler. For every zingy moment when an Easter Island head gushes blood, there’s a multitude of other moments full of Lipscomb ‘emoting’. It does better with random quirk – Dr Rasta, you stole the show for about thirty seconds. Should’ve stuck around.
Old 13th January 2024, 11:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

RETRIBUTION – It’s never a good sign when someone’s hairdo pisses me off within the first five minutes. The strange helmet worn by Dennis Lipscomb throughout ‘Retribution’ might have popped up at my art school a few times in the early noughts. It seems odd to imagine the fashion victims there cribbing from VHS era horror, but you ever know. Lipscomb plays a painter who can’t cut it in the big city. Void of hope, he takes a dive from the top floor – someone should’ve at least pointed him towards a good barber first. Anyway, at the moment of impact he's possessed by an orphan spirit, and now Lipscomb and his awful wig are the vessels by which a wronged gangster will exact his revenge. ‘Retribution’ thrums with a solid eighties horror vibe; the preponderance of neon and nice, garish colours tells you that, as does the fact that Lipscomb’s eyes shine green whenever he goes into spirit vengeance mode. I don’t know though, I love the style but somehow feel a bit short changed. ‘Retribution’ is always teasing its wares, then backing out into filler. For every zingy moment when an Easter Island head gushes blood, there’s a multitude of other moments full of Lipscomb ‘emoting’. It does better with random quirk – Dr Rasta, you stole the show for about thirty seconds. Should’ve stuck around.
I have always found Retribution to be a gun little horror especially with Suzanne Snyder in it...what ever happened to her, is she still about? The hair do is laughable on Lipscomb no denying that.
Old 13th January 2024, 11:25 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
DEAD AND BURIED – ‘The Mad Town’ is probably a horror trope. You could almost think of think of ‘Dead And Buried’ as a hazed-out ‘Two Thousand Maniacs!’ with spectres and desolation in place of rednecks and yeeha. There might be some peripheral relationship with ‘The Fog’; old jazz playing after dark and, uh, fog. ‘Dead And Buried’ is full of night sounds. James Farentino is a cop trying to fathom the mystery behind all the corpses that are turning up in his little burg. He seems gritty, but even before we reach the reveal that pulls the curtain on the town’s awful secret, we sense that he may be a mere plaything of destiny. There’s just such an air of foreboding about it all. Little details sink their hooks; underwater bells ring down shadowed avenues…a fissured fist pumps zombie angst. Eyes are a big thing in ‘Dead and Buried’. One eye is stabbed by a syringe; another, glassy, slips inside a socket at the end of arch-mortician Jack Albertson‘s greasy fingers. Of course, the eyes of the crazed undead are behind their cameras and Moviolas, making them a kind of zombie paparazzi, the first line in the capture of souls. ‘Dead and Buried’ verges on profundity. I mentioned ‘Two Thousand Maniacs!’, but a truer comparison would be ‘Messiah Of Evil’. There’s a horror of small towns as replaying a deathly Americana; “when will we be done with all this sepia-tinted bullshit?” I hear it asking in its sad, faraway voice. Not the kind of place you want to stop for a selfie, but anyway, welcome to Potter’s Bluff.
Oh bugger off! Teardrop.

First you make me want to upgrade The Prowler and now you've made f*cking Dead and Buried seem like it's unmissable as well.

Wouldn't be so bad but they are both expensive imports.

Enough i say!!

Old 13th January 2024, 11:31 AM
Cult Veteran

I love Dead & Buried myself, I bought the Blue Underground 4k as soon as it was announced and has a snazzy lenticular cover where you can see the needle going into the eye classy.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th January 2024, 11:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I love Dead & Buried myself, I bought the Blue Underground 4k as soon as it was announced and has a snazzy lenticular cover where you can see the needle going into the eye classy.
Cheers Justin you have just made my eye twitch there
Old 13th January 2024, 11:33 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Oh bugger off! Teardrop.

First you make me want to upgrade The Prowler and now you've made f*cking Dead and Buried seem like it's unmissable as well.

Wouldn't be so bad but they are both expensive imports.

Enough i say!!

Ah, but so worthy of an upgrade and such a great film. I saw the BU 4k restoration on blu ray and really rate it, notwithstanding that it has such a grim look to it in the first place.
Old 13th January 2024, 11:38 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Ah, but so worthy of an upgrade and such a great film. I saw the BU 4k restoration on blu ray and really rate it, notwithstanding that it has such a grim look to it in the first place.
I really fancy watching it now. I still have the Anchor Bay dvd in it's nice digi pac packaging which still looks as new.

However the next viewing will be via a shiny new Blu-ray disc.
Old 13th January 2024, 11:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I really fancy watching it now. I still have the Anchor Bay dvd in it's nice digi pac packaging which still looks as new.

However the next viewing will be via a shiny new Blu-ray disc.
Sorry if I've nudged you into the red. A disc worth having though.

Like this? Share it using the links below!