All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2024, 04:15 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Repo! The Genetic Opera. 2008.

Daft as this one sounds and seeing Anthony head sing, this wasn't too bad for afternoon feature while high on caffeine.
He is actually a very good singer, as anyone who has seen the 'Buffy' episodes 'Where The Wild Things Are', 'The Yoko Factor', 'Restless' and 'Once More, With Feeling' knows

In addition to that, he is one of the most popular actors to have played Frank in the stage version of 'The Rocky Horror Show'

As a side bar, his brother is Murray Head, who had a big hit with the song 'One Night In Bangkok' from the musical 'Chess

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 15th February 2024, 04:27 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Wonka,

We tried watching this, sorry we both found it truly awful, it's like when a normal friend suddenly tries to hard to be something they're not to point it becomes embarrassing, that's what I thought about this, far too whimsical, making a musical wtf that all about? Not even entertaining music either, the point when all 3 owners where prancing around the copper my wife just said this is cringeworthy I'm going toilet, I said do you want me to pause it? She replied no I want you to turn it off. They was trying to hard to make it different and something it's not. (Yes I'm aware willy wonka different) I don't get all the good reviews either, either I don't get it or I watched something completely different, and I thought Timothée Chalamet who played wonka was awful and not right for the character.
I'm not sure why you were surprised by the musical element in Wonka considering Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory is a musical with some brilliant songs, with Neil Hannon and Joby Talbot incorporating Pure Imagination into the Wonka narrative as a link between the two films.

I saw Wonka at the cinema and thought it was a delight: brilliantly written, beautifully designed, and superbly performed by the ensemble cast, from Olivia Colman's avaricious landlady to Hugh Grant's haughty homunculus.

I love the two Paddington films and The Mighty Boosh, so had high hopes for Wonka because it is directed by Paul King, and co-written by him and Simon Farnaby – it lived up to those lofty expectations.

I'm definitely going to buy the 4K Ultra HD release so I can enjoy it again at home.
Old 15th February 2024, 05:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

My Bloody Valentine (2009)

The residents of a small American town are plagued by a serial killer dressed in mining gear on Valentine's Day.

One of the very best of the classic horror remakes of the 2000's. My Bloody Valentine delivers everything you could wish for in a slasher film and isn't afraid to tip it's hat to the exploitation days of the early 80's with bloody gore galore and one sequence of shameless, rampant nudity (A starkers Irene being stalked at the motel) it's practically giallo like in it's sleazy vigour.

For a change, a remake that arguably is better than the original from way back in 1981.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bloodyvalentine3dfinal.jpg (19.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 15th February 2024, 08:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Iron Claw

Biopic based on the True Story of The Von Erich Family who in the early 80's were some of the most popular Wrestlers in the Texas Wrestling Scene. From the tough and uncompromising Father, Fritz and his sons Kevin, Kerry, David and Michael to the tragedies that befell them. Zac Efron certainly comes along way from his High School Musical days. For the wrestling fans out there, references to Bruiser Brody (There's a story) and Ultimate Warrior are made among others. A very decent watch.

Madame Web

A In Association With Marvel Sony Comic Book Movie which sees a Paramedic develop abilities to see premonitions and has to save 3 girls from a Millionaire who himself has witnessed his death from those girls. Many references to Spider Man and I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised by it but the camera work is quite shocking with it's roaming cameras.

Not having to watch several TV shows beforehand to get up to date is quite welcome for a Comic Book Movie.

Bob Marley: One Love

Biopic based on legendary Musician Bob Marley as it chronicles the story of him trying to unite Jamaica by having a Peace Concert, an Assassination Attempt and tours. It's not bad but I've seen better Music Biopics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ic.jpg (7.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg mw.jpg (13.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg bmol.jpg (10.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 15th February 2024, 09:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post

Madame Web

A In Association With Marvel Sony Comic Book Movie which sees a Paramedic develop abilities to see premonitions and has to save 3 girls from a Millionaire who himself has witnessed his death from those girls. Many references to Spider Man and I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised by it but the camera work is quite shocking with it's roaming cameras.

Not having to watch several TV shows beforehand to get up to date is quite welcome for a Comic Book Movie.
The reviews for this have been horrendously bad.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 15th February 2024, 10:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)

Jack Sparrow races to recover the heart of Davy Jones to avoid enslaving his soul to Jones' service, however he's not the only one seeking the heart.

An enjoyable if overlong second installment in the Pirates of the Caribbean series which unusually improves as it goes along. The part octopus part man Davy Jones (An unrecognisable Bill Nighy) is a formidable and great looking adversary as is the huge many tentacled Kraken controlled by Jones to attack ships.

Parts of the film are quite gruesome and Jones crew of the Flying Dutchmen make me itch seeing all the barnacles and sea creatures growing out of their faces. Darker in tone that the first film this is definitely the Pirates equivalent of The Empire Strikes Back with no story strands concluded and Sparrow seemingly dead inside the guts of the Kraken with Will Turner (Orlando Bloom), Elisabeth Swann (Keira Knightly) and the crew of the now sunk Black Pearl led by A.N.Other setting out to find him.

Special effects wise this is excellent, (it looks superb on Blu-ray), story wise less so, but overall still enjoyably watchable, but i'll say it again. It's far too long. I'm kind of dreading revisiting the second part At Worlds End as it's even longer at almost three hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pirates_of_the_caribbean_2_poster_b.jpg (89.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 15th February 2024, 10:32 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The reviews for this have been horrendously bad.
Benjamin Lee's one star review in The Guardian, (Marvel's junky spin-off is a tangled mess), is scathing in its criticism of everything from the writing to direction, acting the editing, and from the genre change to the blatantly distracting product placement.

Quote:
As teased by the trailer, Johnson is distractingly disengaged. She is an actor who can work so well if used in just the right way by just the right director, here showing us the real limit of her abilities, one of the most ill-fitting tentpole leads I can remember. There’s such misjudged lethargy to her performance, not helped by her co-star Sweeney, in bizarre schoolgirl cosplay, and a small, odd role for Zosia Mamet, three actors who play as far too internal and muted for the frantic urgency of a flashy film such as this. Their casting is just one of many baffling decisions made here, the most baffling of which is the removal of any Spider-Man reference, made seemingly late in the day. An entire subplot has Emma Roberts as Ben Parker’s pregnant sister about to give birth to a baby whose name is never revealed (we almost hear it might start with maybe a P in one poorly edited scene) while the finale awkwardly rushes through the three teens in superhero costumes in the future (all play characters from the comics, including Spider-Woman). There’s even a strange butchering of the classic line about power and responsibility, its words scrambled around like we’re watching some janky rip-off made by people afraid of legal action.

What the average cinema-goer is supposed to get from this unholy mess, made curious only after a read of its torturous Wikipedia page, is a mystery. Superhero films are not dead (just today the trailer for Deadpool & Wolverine broke a YouTube record) but the age of superhero films like Madame Web surely is – soulless boardroom product made by no one who seems to care for no one who wants to watch.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...l-movie-review
Old 16th February 2024, 12:43 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Wonka,

We tried watching this, sorry we both found it truly awful, it's like when a normal friend suddenly tries to hard to be something they're not to point it becomes embarrassing, that's what I thought about this, far too whimsical, making a musical wtf that all about? Not even entertaining music either, the point when all 3 owners where prancing around the copper my wife just said this is cringeworthy I'm going toilet, I said do you want me to pause it? She replied no I want you to turn it off. They was trying to hard to make it different and something it's not. (Yes I'm aware willy wonka different) I don't get all the good reviews either, either I don't get it or I watched something completely different, and I thought Timothée Chalamet who played wonka was awful and not right for the character.
I wasn't sure what to make of this film. My wife enjoyed it much more than I did. Hugh Grant pretty much stole the film with his brief appearances.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 16th February 2024, 12:51 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
My Bloody Valentine (2009)

The residents of a small American town are plagued by a serial killer dressed in mining gear on Valentine's Day.

One of the very best of the classic horror remakes of the 2000's. My Bloody Valentine delivers everything you could wish for in a slasher film and isn't afraid to tip it's hat to the exploitation days of the early 80's with bloody gore galore and one sequence of shameless, rampant nudity (A starkers Irene being stalked at the motel) it's practically giallo like in it's sleazy vigour.

For a change, a remake that arguably is better than the original from way back in 1981.
It's good fun to watch this in anaglyph 3D with the cardboard glasses. The killer's head torch works especially well in anaglyph.
Old 16th February 2024, 10:23 AM
Cult Master

Kill-Squad.jpg

An ex platoon leader is left in a wheel chair and his wife raped and murdered after a home invasion from a vicious gang hired by a business man looking to have the monopoly in the city. Joe calls on his veteran friends to unite and get revenge and they are more than willing to answer his call each man is equipped with their own set of deadly skills making this the ultimate killing machine making them the ultimate KILL SQUAD.

In the same vein as Miami Connection bad acting hilarious macho bullshit talk and hilarious fight scenes. Kill Squd is so entertaining and fun on that old classic so bad it's good sort of way the first proper hand to hand combat scene is hilarious after a stupid amount of kicks and punches to the d**k our man decides enough of this and he pulls a gun and manages to shit half is one foot off finding it too hard to aim and shoot 2 foot Infront of him but then again he was up against some silly smooth Kung Fu skills ducking diving elusive

Well worth a watch but be prepared it almost kicks too much ass there is a fight scene every other minute The Raid ain't got nothing on the KILL SQUAD

After watching this I really did sleep much better because now I know if I can't reach the A Team there is always the KILL SQUAD.

Like this? Share it using the links below!