All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179681Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th May 2020, 10:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Thirteenth Floor (1999)

An engaging sci-fi / noir thriller with plenty of twists and turns which unravel predictably (Vincent D'Onofrio...right! It's always him...right?) but retain their interest thanks to a script that could have been bogged down in computer simulation clap trap but thankfully remains more or less plausible.

The aforementioned D'Onofrio, Craig Bierko and Gretchen Mol are good and the 1930's Hollywood scenarios recreated efficiently.

Think a 90 minute film set on a Star Trek Holodeck and you won't go far wrong.
Old 4th May 2020, 10:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Castle Freak. 1995.

A troubled couple and their blind daughter move to Italy to a castle they have inherited, soon the daughter thinks that there is someone else in the castle and slowly discover the secrets hidden in the dungeon and crypt.

The late Stuart Gordon joins up Jefferey Combs and Barbara Crampton in this Gothic tale set in a atmospheric dilapidated castle where things do creek in the night. The make-up effects for the character Giorgio are well done as well as the movements the actor portrayed the character.

Both key stars play the bitter troublesome couple well as the wife blames the husband for their daughter's blindness due to a car accident. Jessica Dollarhide plays the young daughter who believes she is hearing more than just wind and rats. Stuart Gordon kept the atmosphere dark and dismal which helped create more horror and tension from start to finish. Recommended.

MV5BMTUyMzQ3MjU5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTI0NTYzNQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,718,1000_AL_.jpg
Old 5th May 2020, 09:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

The-Rocketeer-1991.jpg
ROCKETEER (1991)

In 1938 pilot Cliff Secord and his mechanic Peevy find a rocket back pack hidden under the seat of a plane. Cliff uses the pack to save his friend from an air disaster and soon the FBI and the Nazi's on his trail..
Good adventure based on the comic book character inspired by the 1930's Rocketman movie serials. Henchman Lothar is made up to look like Horror actor Rondo Hatton and even breaks the backs of people like 'The Creeper'.

6d4f80fcef61e10f51e8c3fc06cb89e3.jpg
DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE (1931)

The best version of the classic tale. Hyde is a real nasty violent character. One of the classic monster make ups.

Annex%20-%20March,%20Fredric%20(Dr.%20Jekyll%20and%20Mr.%20Hyde)_04.jpg
Old 5th May 2020, 01:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)

I've never watched a Star Wars film on May the fourth before and i didn't mean to last night. However as i searched for something to watch, everything blended into one (I'm sure we've all had one of those times when selecting a movie) so i thought f*cki it i'll watch a Star Wars movie.

It's not that long since i watched Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back on dvd in unf*cked with glory so they were out. Return of the Jedi's unf*cked with dvd still sits in the to-watch pile and i wasn't wasting that on a Monday night. I saw Solo twice last year as well as Rogue One again so they were out too. Of the 'New Skywalker' trilogy i only have The Force Awakens. The second film was terrible and doubt i'll ever see the new one.

So The Phantom Menace it was.

Yes, it's still only half decent but the final showdown between the two Jedi and Darth Maul is cinematic brilliance, complemented by John Williams stirring Duel of the Fates theme. Had Williams been born in the nineteenth century and come up with the Star Wars theme, The Imperial March, Duel of the Fates, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Superman and Jurassic Park i'm convinced he'd be acknowledged in the same light as Strauss, Beethoven, Shostakovich and Mozart.

Anyway, after sitting through Jar Jar and the interminable Jake Loyd and once again not being able to tell the difference between Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley, i think next May the fourth i'll just have an early night instead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Star_Wars_Phantom_Menace_poster.jpg (32.5 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 5th May 2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 5th May 2020, 02:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
... and once again not being able to tell the difference between Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley...
Even force empowered Jedi can't tell the difference.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 5th May 2020, 04:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Anyone that follows me on Letterboxd will have seen that I’m working my way through all 11 Star Wars films in order, nearly finished Jedi then its onto the sequel trilogy, all of which I’ve only watched once each at the cinema

I’ve gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised by Solo when I watched it yesterday for the first time, really enjoyed it
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th May 2020, 04:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I’ve gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised by Solo when I watched it yesterday for the first time, really enjoyed it
I'm not too keen on the Solo cinematography. It's a bit too dark for my tastes. Worth mentioning that my 4K UHD copy is noticeably darker than the already dark standard blu-ray (but I usually end up watching that UHD version anyway). Really makes me wonder how the film looks in dvd format?
Old 5th May 2020, 04:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
I'm not too keen on the Solo cinematography. It's a bit too dark for my tastes. Worth mentioning that my 4K UHD copy is noticeably darker than the already dark standard blu-ray (but I usually end up watching that UHD version anyway). Really makes me wonder how the film looks in dvd format?
Some parts are dark but not difficult to watch.
SymbioticFunction likes this.
Old 5th May 2020, 05:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I’m watching them all on Disney+ and the first thing I noticed about Solo was how dark a lot of the scenes were, like when he first meets Chewie, I knew it was him but I could barely make him out due to how dark it was!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th May 2020, 09:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default One Fine Day, Rats: Night Of Terror & The Serpent And The Rainbow

One Fine Day

George Clooney And Michelle Pheffier star as single parents who have to look after their kids after this miss a boat for a school trip whilst maintaining their work lives. This film shows that you can have a clean movie that isn't aimed for children yet be excellent.

Rats: Night Of Terror

Set in a dystopian future, a group of wanderers find shelter but come up against a rather large group of seemingly intelligent killer Rats. I know that this is a completely maligned movie but if you go in with low expectations, I found it to be completely enjoyable. There were plenty of deaths caused by Rats and was gory. If you bought it blind without knowing it's reputation, I think you would be disappointed.

The Serpent & The Rainbow

Wes Craven directed Voodoo Horror movie starring Bill Pullman who is sent by a Drug company to find out how people are being brought back to life, he joins up with a Doctor played by Cathy Tyson. I enjoyed this as a kid but unfortunately it doesn't pass the test of time. I found it quite boring in places.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ofd.jpg (13.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg rnot.jpg (13.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg tsatr.jpg (14.7 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!