Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180365Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th May 2010, 12:32 PM
Cultist

I watched Color Me Blood Red, 2000 Maniacs and The Gruesome Twosome over the last few days. What the hell was going on at the beginning of The Gruesome Twosome with the talking wigs?
Old 20th May 2010, 12:53 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak View Post
But that has nothing to do with it.
In fact I explicitly stated, just to avoid such a comeback in the first place...
...what did not matter as a whole as far as the drama and emotion went (what happened to the world and how)

I had NO need...AT ALL...to know what happened or how it happened as far as the film went as a whole.
I'm not thick. I know it was simply a stepping stone to the drama and what happened does not matter to the drama unfolding.
I said that. And I still don't care what happened as far as that goes.

But my problem had nothing to do with the drama of the film, or my needing hand holding, It had to do with basic, GLARING, logic in a key scene.
You build a shelter right by your house for an event LIKE THIS. So why did you not use it?
It opens up questions!! It's called taking an interest.
And that's nothing to do with drama, emotion, or deeper friggin meanings.

I don't give a damn what happened or how...until you have such an obvious question as that.
Going by the Viggo and his family, they stayed at their home after what happened for years!
Years!
So how come the owner of the shelter didn't go to it in all that time?
This opens up the question of were most people killed instantly...or not.
That's basic interest in the movie!

It's observation and thought on what is unspooling in front of you. Not watching the film like you're staring at a blank wall, noticing nothing.
'Shit happens' and a shrug seems to me very little interest is invested in the film.
Hmmmm...fair enough. I don't get it though.

I guess we just watch films differently. I'm not even sure I understand exactly what you mean by "basic interest in the movie". Despite being involved in a film I sinply cannot imagine asking those questions you ask. They seem so completely inconsequential and irrelevant. There just is a shelter that was not used - that's all you need to know. Surely?

As I said, I wasn't having a go at you, sorry if I got your back up. I was really being insecure as to how I watch films not attacking how you do. So, apologies if I annoyed.
Old 20th May 2010, 02:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Lone Wolf And Cub: Babycart At The River Styx

This second film in the series really amps up the action. The blood splashing is as OTT as the first film, maybe even a little more so. Throwing female Ninjas and Samurai assassins into the mix this film certainly keeps a fast pace throughout. We also get a lot more input from Cub in this one. My favourite sequence sees one Samurai litterally hacked to pieces by the female Ninja leader until there is nothing left but a faceless torso. A sequence that no doubt embodies the original Manga. I can't wait for film number three now.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 20th May 2010, 02:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

recently watched:

The Damned United - Superb! So refreshing to see a football film that does not revolve around hooligans.

Thunder Squad - Decent mid 80's action film from Umberto Lenzi.

Naked..You Die - Excellent giallo from the underrated Antonio Margheriti

Eroticopholia (aka Evil Eye) - Interesting supernatural giallo. Worth a look

French Sex Murders - Great giallo with a quality exploitation cast.

Cyborg Cop - Fun, straight to video actioner with a hiliarious performace from John Rhys Davies.

Cyborg Cop 2 - Not bad, but not as much fun as the first one.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Last edited by Pete; 20th May 2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 20th May 2010, 03:11 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

finally watched The Bridge On The River Kwai yesterday and was 'Blown' away by it, for a film made somewhat 53 years ago it looks almost as though it was made recently with a fantastic Alec Guiness performance to boot.
Old 20th May 2010, 03:34 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Our Man Flint

Cheesier than Stilton and campier than Austin Powers could ever dream to be, but I love it. Coburn is superb and Jerry Goldsmith's score is magnificent. 60's spies didn't get much better than this.

The UK releases are marred by a BBFC cut and one that I feel particularly strongly about. Avoid like the plague and buy the US release instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
finally watched The Bridge On The River Kwai yesterday and was 'Blown' away by it. a fantastic Alec Guiness performance to boot.
Fully agree. So many people turned down the role of Nicholson (Laurence Olivier, John Gielgud, even Charles Laughton) but nobody could have played it like Guinness.
Old 20th May 2010, 07:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
recently watched:

The Damned United - Superb! So refreshing to see a football film that does not revolve around hooligans.
Agreed. Watched it recently on BR and I loved it. Fantastic performances throughout.

I watch Bay of Blood..although according to dvdcompare its the only poxy cut version out there(film 2000) so I'll have to get this.
Loved this and now I can see the outrageous comparisions to Friday the 13th The bed scene from 2 is ripped almost frame by frame!
Only thing that bugged me is that there are 3 or 4 blokes that are very similar looking and it confused the hell outta me...but then again everyone seemed to kill someone at some stage!
Old 20th May 2010, 07:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Watched berserker last night.Actually enjoyed this late 80's backwoods slasher.It aint great but on repeat viewings seem to enjoy it more.
Old 20th May 2010, 09:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Just finished watching Dolly Dearest, cliched and corny but a lot of fun. I've got to admit, those dolls are pretty creepy!!

The Lionsgate R1 DVD is fullscreen and the picture quality leaves a lot to be desired but it seems like pretty much the only option at the moment.
Old 20th May 2010, 09:30 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbv View Post
I watch Bay of Blood..although according to dvdcompare its the only poxy cut version out there(film 2000) so I'll have to get this.
Alas it is. The same cut print as the old Redemption video.

Like this? Share it using the links below!