Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th May 2010, 11:17 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Watched Zombeak last night. Terrible acting, terrible lighting, stupid story but UNBELIEVABLY enjoyable! It's such a fun film - I luved every minute of it. It has both intentional AND unintentional comedy throughout. The gore looks quite good considering the budget etc. I'd highly recommend this one film for a so-bad-it's-genius viewing. Stick it on after/before Troma's Poultrygeist: Night Of The Chicken Dead and you've got one clucking good double-bill!
Old 18th May 2010, 03:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Yes I thoroughly enjoyed this too. Great stuff.

Did you see the TNT print (with the restored BBFC cuts) or the stronger overseas Laser Killer version? Took me ages to find the latter (via a spotty conditioned French video) and it's really nasty.
It was the uncut laser killer version, Vince. The soho murder was pretty nasty for its day although I think it's tame by today's standards.
Old 18th May 2010, 03:38 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Compared to the UK version it's nasty stuff indeed, though I agree that time has long since taken the sting off it.

The ending is sheer mayhem.
Old 18th May 2010, 07:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Corruption is terrific. You really have never seen Peter Cushing in anything like this.

The recent Spanish dvd is a lovely print ( but cut ). The uncut version is totally whacked out. A remastered edition would be excellent.
Old 18th May 2010, 08:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched the Exorcist last night and the new york ripper just now
Old 18th May 2010, 08:54 PM
Ex-member

"Borderland"

Based (pretty closely in some places, not at all in others) on a true crime story about a bunch of drug running Mexicans who performed witchcraft rituals to protect their trade by sacrificing people, including a young American student.

Opening with a full on nasty bit of torture/mutilation the film then takes it's time (with no gore at all) building up three likeable main characters as they party heart at a Mexican border town before one of them is kidnapped by the drug cartel.

From then on we switch back and forth between the remaining two friends trying to track their friend down and the kidnapped lad at the gang's ranch. And aside from a couple of moments there is little horror or gore as the film basically becomes a thriller.

The fim could have done with a few edits here and there to tighten this part of the film up as it does play out slowly, even though something is always going on, but at least we get to really care about the characters when the brutality starts back up.
And it's a clever screenplay indeed that can keep an audience today surprised at what is going to happen, when it's going to happen or even if something will happen at all. As such the suspense is expertly crafted as things get slowly more nasty.

Some good shocks, some very well done gore by KNB (some nasty machete violence, limb hacking, torso chopping, eyeball gouging, body parts), good performances, a serious and generally well crafted script (if in need of a bit of editing), excellent cinematography and spot on editing and direction all help to make "Borderland" a very good thriller/horror hybrid movie that has a cloying atmosphere and a brutal streak that brings to mind 70's exploitation.

Well worth a look.
Old 18th May 2010, 10:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Depends on the label. There's a useful comparison here.

The German Anolis is the most complete and practically uncut.
Checked out Frankenstein and the monster from hell to see if its cut and it certainly looks it. The eyepopping scene is cut as noted on dvdcompare but the scene looks complete on the hammer documentary which is also on the disc.

Time to hunt down an uncut version
Old 18th May 2010, 10:46 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbv View Post
I have the UK video, the UK 'corrected' DVD and the German Anolis (for comparison reasons). The latter is definitely the most complete and well worth searching for.
Old 19th May 2010, 05:25 AM
Ex-member

Default Frankenstein m.f.h

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbv View Post
Checked out Frankenstein and the monster from hell to see if its cut and it certainly looks it. The eyepopping scene is cut as noted on dvdcompare but the scene looks complete on the hammer documentary which is also on the disc.

i have this movie along with CAPTAIN KRONOS VAMPIRE HUNTER on a two pack dvd from HAMMER FILMS 2003. I think is uncut it has broken bottle to the throat.i never thought that hammer films would be cut i have a movie book that says quote out of print japanese laserdisc is fully uncut.
Old 19th May 2010, 08:05 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

So Sweet,So Dead
Solid Poliziottescho/giallo crossover with an assassin who looks a lot like the killer in Blood and Black Lace (which can't be bad) and seems unstoppable.
No real "amateur detective" so it's more focused on the policeman's actions like in Black Belly of the Tarantula (to just name another Poliziottescho/giallo crossover).
Nice jazzy soundtrack.

Btw
There's plenty of blood and the killings are nicely done for the most part,I only thought one killing was a bit lacking.
Seems the killer is mostly into stabbing and throat-slicing.

Like this? Share it using the links below!