Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th July 2010, 05:38 AM
Cult Rookie

Default re: What films have you seen recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadAlive
I keep adding these Japanese gore films to my rental list only to be disappointed. I guess I'm just not going to find a film of this sub genre that comes anywhere close to "Machine Girl" ?
For my money Vampire Girl Vs Frankenstein Girl was awful and I like these films! Versus, Meatball Machine and Tokyo Gore Police all whip Machine Girls ass!
Old 17th July 2010, 07:14 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveroughcut View Post
For my money Vampire Girl Vs Frankenstein Girl was awful and I like these films! Versus, Meatball Machine and Tokyo Gore Police all whip Machine Girls ass!
Personally I don't class Versus as Horror/Gore (Even though I know it is. ) but it is certainly an early example of Japanese excess which ranks highly as one of my favourite action films. I still haven't got around to Meatball Machine yet (I will though.) but I found Tokyo Gore Police a bit overlong and repetative. Machine Girl is still the most fun for me and the only one of the recent batch I have actually bought for repeat viewings.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 18th July 2010, 08:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Confessions of a Police Captain - brilliantly down-beat and cynical Italian Crime Film. I'd love to see this get the Shameless treatment though, as the copy I have was an obvious VHS-rip (albeit not a bad one).
Old 18th July 2010, 09:02 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've just watched The Bounty Hunter (for review purposes, not pleasure) and it is as bad as all the critics make out. With any luck, I'll have my review up tomorrow so you'll be able to read my vitriol by following the link in my signature.

I've also watched The Beast in Space which is on one hand utterly terrible and, on the other, utterly brilliant. It's worth watching just for the outrageous costumes and 'the beast's' massive foam latex penis! As with The Bounty Hunter, my review hould go up tomorrow.
Old 18th July 2010, 09:25 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post

I've also watched The Beast in Space which is on one hand utterly terrible and, on the other, utterly brilliant. It's worth watching just for the outrageous costumes and 'the beast's' massive foam latex penis! As with The Bounty Hunter, my review hould go up tomorrow.

I just finished watching that too, Nos. Oh boy, it was just soo good! Sleazy? Tick. Nudity? Tick. Blonde humanoid-robots weilding light-sabers? Tick. A giant robot? Tick. A faun with a massive...horn? Tick. Tick. Stupid as hell? TICK! TICK! TICK!

Just so much fun. Definetly a film to watch with a load of mates.
Old 18th July 2010, 11:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Does this new edition feature the shot of the beastie blowing his load?

Recently watched:

The Stranger and the Gunfighter
- Loved it! A must for fans of Spaghetti Westerns and Kung Fu.

Ilsa - She Wolf of the SS - Good film but I'm slightly dissapointed it wasn't the sleaze fest many have made it out to be.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 19th July 2010, 12:44 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
Ilsa: She Wolf of The SS -- it's amazing how tame this is given its rather notorious reputation
Oh, I don't know - I think there's still plenty of stuff in this to offend most viewers. The dinner party sequence is still incredibly callous and horrific and this film will never get through the BBFC uncut IMO. I actually think it's overall still a very controversial and offensive film and when I lent it to someone recently they were genuinely shocked by it. So it hasn't lost much of its power to offend. So no, I wouldn't call it tame, as such. Tame by our standards, maybe - but the majority of film viewers have never been exposed to incendiary material like this. The closest they've got to Nazisploitation is Schindler's List.

There was a point a while back when I too began to think these films were tame. But then I really thought about what I was watching and its full implications and you realise just how shocking it is really. I mean, come on, they're having a dinner party whilst a Jewish woman is slowly hung as the block of ice is melting under her feet. And the Nazi's are laughing and having a wail of a time. Think about it - that's pretty horrifying, not to mention cruel and sadistic! I know they're just films, but sometimes I think we just let it wash over us without actually registering just how brutal some of this stuff is! And I don't mean in a way that we should feel guilty - but to let the power of horror hit us hard, as these films are meant to!
Old 19th July 2010, 01:04 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

thats a great point, i have noticed over the last couple of years i get disturbed by alot more scenes that i used to, when i see things now i can relate a lot more to them and feel for what the person may be going through.

in she wolf of the ss, i think part of the reason it doesnt seem to bad is cuz the film is quite camp, when you think about it and try to relate to what it would be like if it was happening to someone you love or yourself and it wasn't restricted by acting and effects then it does have a lot more of an effect on you!

even though now i find it hard to watch certain parts in films i think it makes them how they should be and i enjoy them more for it.

hope that made sense, im so tired after not sleeping from watching serbian film last night
Old 19th July 2010, 07:28 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
Does this new edition feature the shot of the beastie blowing his load?
You don't see any beast spunk, if that's what you mean, but you do see
the 'beast' climax with Sirpa Lane, sorry, with Sondra.
Old 19th July 2010, 08:46 AM
Cult Rookie

Cool TV shows

Hi dear friend, i had seen 'A Team' last saturday.after that i have seen Night and Days -tom cruse

Like this? Share it using the links below!