All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree329Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th July 2013, 11:39 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I must've been watching a different Hangover 2 than everyone else. I didn't find it racist at all.
I gotta agree with this i must of missed all the racism.
Old 27th July 2013, 06:31 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
I must've been watching a different Hangover 2 than everyone else. I didn't find it racist at all.
The depiction of Bangkok was incredibly racist! Chicks with dicks and smoking monkeys. Playing up to the stereotypes for cheap laughs.
Old 27th July 2013, 06:52 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I'm presuming most here thought Borat and Bruno were films served up by the Devil himself, whereas to me they are the funniest films of the last decade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Haven't seen Bruno, but Borat is piss funny, I had to pause it numerous times while I caught my breath
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Wasn't too keen on Bruno (felt it a bit of a missed satirical opportunity overall, dependent on stereotypical gay jokes) but Borat was a masterstroke. Borat's not a film that is racist whereas The Hangover 2 clearly is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post

You really DO need to see Bruno then.
You all really need to see The Dictator. Simply brilliant.
Old 27th July 2013, 07:02 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
The depiction of Bangkok was incredibly racist! Chicks with dicks and smoking monkeys. Playing up to the stereotypes for cheap laughs.
I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree there Paul Nothing racist about a smoking monkey.
Old 27th July 2013, 07:41 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The Wicker Tree - I'm a massive fan of the The Wicker Man and when I read that Hardy was adapting his own 'Cowboys For Christ' I was delighted. I actually booked the day off work and drove 30 miles just to see it on the day of release. What a mess. I can normally find something worthwhile in most films (I enjoyed Mother Of Tears and even Giallo to a certain extent), but the The Wicker Tree was just a disaster.

The silly thing is, I still bought it, probably out of a misguided sense of loyalty. It's still in the wrapper, I have no urge to revisit it.

Last edited by Frankenhooker; 27th July 2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 27th July 2013, 07:47 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree there Paul Nothing racist about a smoking monkey.
Oh, but stereotyping transexuals is OK though! Isnt it. Because its not like a LGBT woman recently commited suicide due to how the media represented her! No, I dont find it funny in the slightist.
Susan Foreman likes this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 27th July 2013, 08:21 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Oh, but stereotyping transexuals is OK though! Isnt it. Because its not like a LGBT woman recently commited suicide due to how the media represented her! No, I dont find it funny in the slightist.
Please, Hawk - no politics. The Littlejohn - Upton/Meadows affair (pretty dubious in itself, I may add) has nothing to do with (possibly unfunny) movies flogging stereotypes to death.
Old 27th July 2013, 10:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hangover 2 was dire full stop. The Dictator though, very cheeky.

300. And there's going to be a sequel?? Wish Synder would jump off a bridge personally.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th July 2013, 10:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
The Alex Chandon film Inbred depicts us Yorkshire folk as violent, stupid, inbred freaks, I didn't find it offensive, in fact I thought it was funny.
They're only films at the end of the day, if you look hard enough then every film ever made will offend somebody in some way
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 27th July 2013, 11:59 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
The Alex Chandon film Inbred depicts us Yorkshire folk as violent, stupid, inbred freaks, I didn't find it offensive, in fact I thought it was funny.
They're only films at the end of the day, if you look hard enough then every film ever made will offend somebody in some way
Problem there Rik is that Inbred is a horror movie that pastiches Yorkshire life by adding the setting to a ready made pot noodle of bog standard horror cliches. Its also a cult title so only likely to be watched by people who get the satire. The Hangover series is justmean spirited and stereotypes minority groups. Big difference.

Same goes for The Dictator. Its so characaturish that its beyond critisism as its in no way targeting a minority group with its jokes, instead playing off peoples reactions to said minorities.

DVD and BD collection

Like this? Share it using the links below!