Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Up and Coming Films (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/7372-up-coming-films.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th August 2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 545149)
The Mummy did all that without a single penny from me as well!

Tom Cruise is probably the only global superstar/movie star around these days. If you are in China, Chow Yun Fat would be a movie star, but most cinemagoers in the UK would probably say "who" if you mention his name to them.

In my opinion that's quite sad, but i also agree with you.

I'd love to have been around Hollywood when the likes of Cagney, Bogart, Monroe etc were around. Real movie stars who's work has lasted the test of time.

I truly don't see the same happening to Emma Watson for example. I mean, truth be told, the Harry Potter films aren't actually all that good and that's what she's most famous for.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th August 2017 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 545153)

I'd love to have been around Hollywood when the likes of Cagney, Bogart, Monroe etc were around. Real movie stars who's work has lasted the test of time.

I truly don't see the same happening to Emma Watson for example. I mean, truth be told, the Harry Potter films aren't actually all that good and that's what she's most famous for.

Maybe cinema has changed so it is no longer Hollywood-centric and there are more localised movie stars, so Juliet Binoche could sell a film in France, Jet Li in China, Daniel Radcliffe in Britain, Amitabh Bachchan in India and Kim Soo Hyun in Korea, meaning the days of Clark Gable, Gary Cooper, James Stewart, Marilyn Monroe, Bette Davis, Katharine Hepburn and Liz Taylor are long gone.

Maybe Tom Cruise is the last of the movie stars.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th August 2017 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 545157)
Maybe cinema has changed so it is no longer Hollywood-centric

That completely goes against what the Logan Lucky article suggests. If that were the case Steven Soderbergh could have got an actor from another country, opened there initially and everything would have been okay.

Also Besson's Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets seems to be flopping worldwide considering it's whopping $172m budget.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th August 2017 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 545159)
That completely goes against what the Logan Lucky article suggests. If that were the case Steven Soderbergh could have got an actor from another country, opened there initially and everything would have been okay.

That's probably what I was going for, making what Steven Soderbergh is doing even more revolutionary.

I think there's something else happening, which I alluded to above, meaning technology, through streaming and easily posting films around the world on disc, means you don't have to see a film in the cinema, and Warner Brothers, MGM and Paramount are no longer the most important in film around the world.

It's more important for a film to be successful in China than in the US, so global cinema profits may soon originate in films made at Hengdian World Studios. Even Disney, which could do what it wanted and the guaranteed of huge returns, has to make allowances for the Chinese audience.

These are interesting times!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th August 2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 545159)
Also Besson's Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets seems to be flopping worldwide considering it's whopping $172m budget.

I've booked tickets to see Valerian next Thursday (with Cars 3 on Monday) so I'll hopefully know whether it's a box office bomb because it's rubbish (apparently something which didn't prevent The Mummy easily making its money back) or whether there is a problem with the marketing or timing.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th August 2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 545162)

These are interesting times!

They sure are and not for the better.

If you are to see everything on tv for example you'd be spending a fortune each month for Sky, Netflix, Prime, the various sports networks. Frankly it's impossible. Plus only Trebor has the time.

bleakshaun 5th August 2017 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 545167)
They sure are and not for the better.

If you are to see everything on tv for example you'd be spending a fortune each month for Sky, Netflix, Prime, the various sports networks. Frankly it's impossible. Plus only Trebor has the time.

Trebor may do, but it's probably a small portion what with all the games he has [emoji1]

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

Demoncrat 5th August 2017 08:30 PM

Well I'm looking forward to Valerian ....
:tongue1:

iank 5th August 2017 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 545153)

Cough splutter let's not mention the biggest film of 2017 there...:tongue1:

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th August 2017 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 545197)
Cough splutter let's not mention the biggest film of 2017 there...:tongue1:

I had to look it up.

This is Cult Labs not the Disney forum. :tongue1: