Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th October 2017, 08:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

October 19th

Theatre of Blood (1972)

Theatre of Blood with it's clever Shakespearean scenarios and unsettling mixture of refined wit and graphic unpleasantness is one of the finest horror films of the 70's and gives Vincent Price as Edward Lionheart, along with his Roderick Usher and Mathew Hopkins, a career best performance.

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

The Blair Witch Project was the first and probably best entry in the found footage genre it spawned. A genre which, for better or worse, is still going strong today almost twenty years later. Despite a few sequences that quickly become annoying the film is the vanguard for those like me who dare to venture out into the countryside after dark and shudder at anything that goes 'bump in the night'. The sounds of stones clattering and children screaming as well as the exploration of the old witch's house is still the essence of all things creepy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Theatre-of-Blood-1973.jpg (96.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg BWP.jpg (22.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 20th October 2017, 08:31 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Blair Witch Project (1999)

The Blair Witch Project was the first and probably best entry in the found footage genre it spawned. A genre which, for better or worse, is still going strong today almost twenty years later. Despite a few sequences that quickly become annoying the film is the vanguard for those like me who dare to venture out into the countryside after dark and shudder at anything that goes 'bump in the night'. The sounds of stones clattering and children screaming as well as the exploration of the old witch's house is still the essence of all things creepy.
I remember reading a review of this in the Virgin Film Guide, which I later learned was penned by Maitland McDonagh, beginning with these wonderful sentences:

"When was the last time a movie crawled under your skin and died there? Depending on your age, it may have been NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE or THE EVIL DEAD: Like those films, Dan Myrick and Eduardo Sanchez's debut inspires an unpleasant mix of creeping dread and festering anxiety. That may not sound so nice, but many filmmakers try their whole careers without getting a real rise out of real horror fans."

The Blair Witch Project has that same sense of foreboding, the oppressive atmosphere and knowledge that, whatever hope you the characters whom you hold hope, things are going to end badly for everyone, with the end credits offering no relief.

It's a film I plan to watch this month but, unlike most highly regarded horror films, will not be one I will particularly enjoy!
Old 20th October 2017, 09:20 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Legend films release looks fine upscaled. However i too have the Eureka set in my wishlist as it's a favourite of mine too.
Then this might be of use
Get ready for a EUREKA CREEPY NIGHT IN this Halloween, with ***SPECIAL OFFERS (from £2.99)*** on this ghoulish collection of EUREKA horror titles dug up from the vaults at Eureka Towers, available through Best Media Group on Amazon.

Titles include Creepy, Nosferatu, Stigmata, The Entity, Vampyr, Wolf Creek and Fright Night amongst others! Full list of titles may be found here http://po.st/p9UMYE

Offers close at 0900hrs on Monday 23rd October. Limited stock available at these knock down prices. So the early bird catches the worm! Get your Halloween viewing sorted NOW!
Old 21st October 2017, 05:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I watched Alien. The 79 version. The comm holds a few interesting moments cough.
Still a scary film ...
IMHO

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st October 2017, 09:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default tz Dark Age (1987, AUS)

"The Twilight Zone" People Are Alike All Over.

14 2.jpg

Roddy McDowall is a scientist who is a going to get blasted into space,with the intention of exploring mars .When they eventually get there,the spaceship crash lands with the co-pilot badly injured,and McDowall is to scared to leave the ship,until his friend dies and he has no choice but to see who is outside. The episode has the feel of an old Star Trek story,although like many TZ stories there ahead of there time.When McDowall finally meets the martians he is surprised to see that there just like him except for one thing,they have the power of telepathy.While it has one of those classic Twilight Zone endings,something Rod Serling is obviously famous for,I do get irradiated with the sort of holy than thou attitude the show sometime has with its finale's.and its condescending way it can treat the audience.Any how McDowall gets to have a screaming hissy fit at the end much like Charlton Heston does in Serlings Planet of the Apes.

Dark Age.(1987)
dark-age-movie-poster-1987-1020255937.jpg
Crocodile conservationist John Jarratt as Steve Harris,is out to protect the remaining salt water crocodiles in the Northern Territory's.Unfortunately there is also a group of hunters out there ready to kill anything that can be turned into a hand bag and a pair of shoes. Also the local aboriginal tribes men are very protective of the giant beast as they see it as god like creature with spiritual powers. While the croc in question is a pretty veracious and evil bastard,he even eats a small boy,Jarratt's Park Ranger is intent on preserving the creature and saving it from the hunters and releasing into a safe captivity. Dark Age at times takes its ecological message very seriously,but it also never shy's away from showing the croc chowing down on its victims as it bites its way through the cast.The scene where it kills the boy is a bit reminiscent of Jaw's but none the worse for that and the crocodile scenes are nicely done and the gore effects quite effective.A good all round action horror adventure.

Old 21st October 2017, 10:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

October 20th

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)

The best of what is now a stand alone sequel trilogy which pits Donald Pleasence's Dr Loomis against his old foe Michael Myers. Gorier than the original but not as chilling, although this is still a fine slasher film in it's own right. A good supporting cast - Ellie Cornell, Danielle Harris and Beau Starr - constantly give the viewer someone to root for.

Suspiria (1977)

Dario Argento's masterpiece, full of exquisite cinematography, graphic violence and a harrowingly memorable score from Goblin.

A genuine horror classic.

The Old Dark House (1932)

Another genuine horror classic and the film that spawned a genre - Old dark house films. Shot by James Whale just after the previous year's Frankenstein, this less heralded but far creepier effort is, in my opinion, Whale's masterpiece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91hAhtkyU8L._SY679_.jpg (73.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Suspiria-2-thumb-430xauto-43373.jpg (38.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg the-old-dark-house-movie-poster-1932-1020143314.jpg (91.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 21st October 2017, 11:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Kudos.

This TODH release better have that poster as the cover. Or as a artcard. Or as a poster. "Accoutrements ... Theyre my only vice"
bleakshaun likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd October 2017, 08:37 AM
Cult Addict

Blair Witch Project
A group of students go into a forest to investigate a local legend. After the first couple of days, they get lost and are hearing noises at night.
Demdike said it before in a previous post, this film impacted the genre for better or for worse, depending on your view. But how they approachedit using subtlety wrks in its favour.
8/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 22nd October 2017, 05:02 PM
Cult Veteran

A quick catch up of my last few days, managed to actually watch some films!

Jeepers Creepers (2001)

Not one I've seen for a long time, I went to the cinema to watch it, there was a fire alarm during the film and we had to go outside - THAT's what I remembered of this film which should have been a warning. OK, but forgettable teen horror, starts strong and quickly descends into boring film. I recently read a review reading the film as an allegory for the main characters fears that he may be gay. Seriously, that's quite a reach

June (2015)

A poundland special, perfectly watchable story of a young girl who was part of a (satanic??) ritual as a baby and now has telekinetic powers. Highlight was Casper van Dien as a total DILF, that beard MMMmmm. Decent enough story and some good low budget special effects but outside of the main 3 or 4 actors the rest of the acting was woeful!

The Babysitter (2017)

Dorky pre-teen boy stays up late to see what his babysitter gets up to while he's asleep, it turns out she's a satanist who uses the blood of innocents in her rituals to be popular and confident! It's full to the brim of tropes but in the right way. A riotously fun Horror Comedy with loads of blood, some titillation involving boys and girls and a great story. The kid actor is really good as well and held his own with the grown ups being in every scene!

Trick 'r Treat (2007)

A modern portmanteau type (kind of) horror film set during Halloween. I think we've all seen this one and it's definitely really fun. It has a few low points here and there but overall it's good fun. My only quibble was when Sam's burlap sack mask was torn off to reveal that he's actually a *spoiler* pumpkin. He was far creepier when you thought he was just some insane kid.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 22nd October 2017, 05:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post

June (2015)

A poundland special, perfectly watchable story of a young girl who was part of a (satanic??) ritual as a baby and now has telekinetic powers. Highlight was Casper van Dien as a total DILF, that beard MMMmmm. Decent enough story and some good low budget special effects but outside of the main 3 or 4 actors the rest of the acting was woeful!
Told you this was okay. Well worth a pound.
Justin101 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!