Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   October Horror Movie Marathon (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12632-october-horror-movie-marathon.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th September 2018 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 589368)
Have decided to start early with ....

Dracula AD 72 (Allan Gibson)
.... immediately regretting it as well:rolleyes:. To say this is .... a Hammer film is shuddersome in extremis. But that's what it is ... having swapped it's frockcoat and cobwebs for loon pants and yer actual fuzz hinvestigatin' fings :laugh:
Lawdy. PC commands every scene he's in. Unsurprisingly. Lee does the little they give him (what's this called again?? :rolleyes:)
It's Neame that's at fault imo. SHOUTING doth not convey emotion young man.
Revisiting old things can be revelatory. Sometimes ...

NEXT!

It's notable for a couple of things i think even though the 1972 Chelsea parts are pretty much wasted.

Firstly scripter Don Houghton ignored Scars of Dracula completely for his prologue and went back to Taste the Blood of Dracula (even though they totally re-did Dracula's demise).

Secondly, you mentioned Cushing and Lee. Although it's not as good as their showdown in the 58 film, this is still rather good and in my opinion is the second best finale to any Hammer Dracula film.

Demoncrat 30th September 2018 10:17 PM

Scars is next. VHS as well ... so should be fun :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th September 2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 589386)
Scars is next. VHS as well ... so should be fun :lol:

At least one of those two is a decent watch. ;)

MrBarlow 1st October 2018 01:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Final Destination. 2000.

A group of teenagers head off to Paris for a school trip, Alex has a premonition that the plane will explode, in a panic he is taken off the plane with some students and a teacher, however on takeoff the plane explodes. As they have cheated death once they can't cheat it twice.

Taken from a abandoned X-files project and a concept of the 80s film sole survivor, this is still a great film that may put you off flying for awhile.

The deaths in this film can be seen as disturbing as well as real and brutal, usually with teen horrors you see one running up the stairs screaming arms in the air running left instead of right, that doesn't happen in this movie. There is a build up of suspense to the deaths but how will they meet their maker is different to what you think. The acting in this is well played, not even boring but entertaining even though Candyman star Tony Todd has a small cameo appearance. Look for the actors names as they taken from famous stars from 1920s-1930s era. 9 out of 10.

MrBarlow 1st October 2018 03:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Final Destination 2. 2003.

A year after flight 180, Kimberly has a premonition about a pile up on highway 180. After she stops the traffic joining the highway a pile up happens and those who survived are now being stalked by death.

David R Ellis (RIP) takes on the director's chair for this sequel and doesn't fail to deliver cheap Shocks, this film works up something fresh especially with a horrific crash and the way death comes knocking.

Ali Larter and Tony Todd reprise their roles from the previous film as Clear Rivers and the mortician who seems to understand how death works in a creepy sort of way and the deaths are done differently with more blood and gore, with extra shock value added. 9 out of 10

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st October 2018 12:05 PM

October 1st - 00:01 bonus viewing.

2 Attachment(s)
House of Wax (1953)

Originally shot in 3D this film about a disfigured sculptor who repopulates his destroyed wax museum by murdering people and using their wax-coated corpses as displays is a classic piece of Grand-Guignol which is as terrific in it's style as it is in it's nastiness with it's fog bound streets and gas lit morgues. I can almost guarantee that the likes of Mario Bava and other Italian film makers of the sixties and seventies saw Price stalking his victims through the streets in trench coat and wide brimmed hat and used it as a template for their giallo thrillers. See the Italian movie poster (bottom right) as more proof.

Andre De Toth's remake of 1933's Mystery of the Wax Museum is an exciting and highly atmospheric horror film that established Vincent Price as a major horror star for the next twenty years plus. Price is excellent as the sculptor who returns to dip human corpses in boiling wax, aided by a young Charles Bronson, for display in his chamber of horrors.

The best horror film made between 1946-56.

Paul Zombie 1st October 2018 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Carrie.

Carrie White(Sissy Spacek) is a shy and withdrawn young girl who lives with her crazy religious fanatic mother(Piper Laurie), and gets a very hard time at school as well, with the other kids
always tormenting her. But she discovers that she has special powers and can cause things to move just by thinking about it.

From a novel by Stephen King and directed by Brian DePalma, this is probably the best adaption of a Stephen King story ever put to screen, and is probably my favorite DePalma film too.

Sissy Spacek is fantastic as the bullied Carrie who eventually gets revenge after constantly being humilited by the other kids and her mother. and Piper Laurie plays the disturbed bible thumping mother to
perfection. Other noticeable co stars include Amy Irving and John Travolta, and Pj Soles from the original Halloween film.

Yes, i definately recommend this film a lot. Carrie is a classic horror film every horror fan should watch. It is well directed and builds up to a superb climax. and i award 92.5 out of 100.

trebor8273 1st October 2018 06:25 PM

My first official viewing of the marathon is cold prey, which I've not seen before.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st October 2018 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 589435)
My first official viewing of the marathon is cold prey, which I've not seen before.

I think that's a good choice, Trebor. nice one. :pop2:

Demoncrat 1st October 2018 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 589389)
At least one of those two is a decent watch. ;)

:lol:
I meant I will be watching my old vhs tape ...

Next :laugh:

Dogs (1976, Burt Brinckerhoff)
Is this a horror film then? Well ... if you hate the pooches, I suppose it is. David McCallum drinks to forget his haircut. Never mind, as along comes some canines with 'tude problems a gogo. Or they are all Chariots Of Fire fans :lol:.
I prefer this to The Pack, don't ask me why ....
the usual lump of heavily armed muricans swear vengeance on said mutts, satisfyingly they come to a grotty end :laugh:. Why are all hunters in American cinema dicks?? Could it be them thar pesky liberals in Hollywood hate their manliness?? :pound:
Could it just be that they are dicks??