All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2018, 08:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

Tis my crappy old WB dvd ... with Mystery Of The Wax Museum as a bonus, hmmm, not so crappy after all methinks

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd October 2018, 08:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
If you have Netflix it's on that. Reading up its supposed to be good but it's slow burning and is more about guilt and decent into madness than a out right horror.

Might have a King double bill tomorrow with 1922 and apt pupil
Just noticed auto correct messed up from watching to buying, stupid thing, sounds interesting Apt Pupil is a good movie.
Old 2nd October 2018, 08:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Blood on Satan's Claw (1971)

A grizzly skull is accidentally dug up in and early 18th century field by a local lad (Barry Andrews) It's believed to be the skull of the devil himself Behemoth, and slowly comes back to life by growing parts of itself on the local village children.

Disturbing, intense, sexually charged and at times very unpleasant yet always brilliantly original, Blood on Satan's Claw is probably the finest example of folk horror there is and one of the very best British horror films produced to this day.

Full review here. http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post589599

Liked!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd October 2018, 08:56 PM
Cult Addict

So Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
I still think its a great meta horror with a strong idea going for it.
Now for my friends opinion. It starts with Marilyn Manson blaring, looks like the opening credits are a piss poor version of Buffy and the acting is shit.
And then just to top it off he then makes this whole spiel about how Blair Witch has a better IMDB rating.
You can't win them all I suppose.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Tis my crappy old WB dvd ... with Mystery Of The Wax Museum as a bonus, hmmm, not so crappy after all methinks
What i meant was it's not black and white. Although it's from 1933 it's in two tone Technicolor.
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cloak gotten

[B]
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
So Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2
I still think its a great meta horror with a strong idea going for it.
Now for my friends opinion. It starts with Marilyn Manson blaring, looks like the opening credits are a piss poor version of Buffy and the acting is shit.
And then just to top it off he then makes this whole spiel about how Blair Witch has a better IMDB rating.
You can't win them all I suppose.

Ach, at least he didn't say the new one was better

[B]
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:44 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Ach, at least he didn't say the new one was better
He pretty much insinuated it.

Old 2nd October 2018, 10:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ah, it's nae my night at all. I thought you meant that he meant TBWProject

Night!!

[B]
Old 2nd October 2018, 10:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Mummies Hand

Outstanding! Now this is what the other one should have been like.

I loved this one a lot. Good old classic Universal horror film: Even scraping the bottom of the barrel is tough here because there's nothing I really feel that I had an issue with, even on a minor scale.

I think its biggest strength, something no other Mummy movie has ever done, is to blend so many different genres together. The 1999 one comes the closest, with horror and action thrown into the mix. But this one has both of those combined with some brilliant humour.

The set up is perfect: I love how the dying priest passes on his role of preserving Kharis. Footage from the first was clearly re-used (and far less of the violent stuff was present). But this Mummy... They set him up as a genuine threat here, far more so than Imhotep, by explaining that if he drinks enough of the fluid from the tana leaves, then he becomes an all powerful demon basically.

Then you get the archaeologists Steve and Babe: they're amazing as a duo. Steve is the stereotypical hero and he does a good job. Babe is amazing though and the vast bulk of the humour comes in scenes involving his character. Normal moments which would otherwise be dull are brightened up by his presence. Then they meet the magician (he's also quite funny) during a funny fight scene with some people in a pub. Then they meet his daughter and they go off to discover the tomb.

Kharis of course comes to life and the build up beforehand is great: the sound of the howling before and after Kharis stalks the camp adds a lot of suspense. This is how Universal horror films are done.

I imagine most people have seen it already but there is something different in this one which is very noticeable, especially when comparing it to the 1999 version. I will hide it as a spoiler
SPOILER:
So in the 1999 version basically everybody that knows about Imhotep make it their primary concern to keep him from ever waking up. They also fear him. Not here: the priest uses him as a weapon to kill off people that discover the tomb. In addition, the priest uses him to kidnap the daughter character because he wants to make her immortal to live with him. That's pretty dark for someone who is supposed to be just keeping people away from the tomb. The Medjai, as inexcusably bad as they are at their job keeping Imhotep hidden away in the 1999 and 2001 Mummy films, never tried any of this on Evelyn

How on earth is the 1932 one regarded as superior to this? This is now my second favourite Universal Monster film (Bride of Frankenstein takes the top spot for those wondering) and I can't wait for the sequels. Kharis is a great monster.

I have been sitting here debating whether to give this a 9 or a 10 for for several minutes now.

I'm gonna give it a 10/10. First viewing sure, maybe i'll change my mind the second time but this is at the very least worth a 9.

Like this? Share it using the links below!