Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2020, 11:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Another hit from the carrier bag at the back of my wardrobe:

LAST HOUSE IN THE WOODS – Very trashy attempt to update Italian horror with a vid-cam, yer mate Sergio Stivaletti, and, basically, a house in some woods. The vibe is more ‘backwoods throwback’ than giallo homage, but the emphasis is ultimately on the gore, here lovingly served up by the aforementioned and possibly quite generous Italo fx maestro Sergio. Grindhouse references aside, it reminds me more of the shot-on-video harsh splatter movies that came out of Germany in the nineties and noughties, but it’s not really like those either. Story-wise, don’t expect much. It’s another of those about one woman’s struggle to escape the clutches of a cannibalistic family after she’s captured for the sake of their pointy toothed tyke’s next ready-meal. The avalanche of poorly choreographed splatter, when it arrives, is undermined by a slightly dull build-up and a bit of running about. A trio of highly unrealistic wannabe-rapist drug thugs is in the mix, as are two mutant brothers, played by actors whose gurning, spasmodic performances left me with the impression that they could only have been taking the piss in a spectacularly joyless manner. It fell flat either way. LHITW is a total mess, badly filmed with incessant rapid zooms and the sort of style you might pick up on a media technology night school course (or less even), although it does aspire to some level of basic competence during its opening half hour, which plays a bit like an amateur version of ‘Hollyoaks’. There are far, far worse films in the annals of video junk, but LHITW does not make for a very ‘cinematic’ encounter, and people with great taste who for some reason decide to follow in my footsteps had better be prepared to feel uninvolved and turned off by this rancid, plastic experience. Having said all this, who cares? I liked it, I like shit films. Some shit films. There is enthusiasm here somehow, despite the flatness. Moreover, LHITW displays a willingness to embrace the dross at the kernel of its soul, and sometimes that’s all I require.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th October 2020, 12:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Monkey Shines. 1988.

After a accident that left him quadriplegic, Allan has been given a small monkey as a helper, until it starts to behave peculiar and what Allan feels or thinks, his new helper acts out his aggression.

For me, this is one of Romero's underrated film, if you are looking for a film with blood and gore, people's insides on the outside this isn't that type of film, it's more of a viewing of a journey of a man who is recovering from a near fatal accident and is given a test subject animal that embarks on a murderous crusade. Romero gathers up a small band of actors who give out a brilliant performance from start to finish with a lot of tense moments. this is one i would happy re-watch again with the Mrs.

220px-Monkey_shines.jpg
Old 5th October 2020, 12:45 AM
Cult Addict

I've always like Monkey Shines too, i think it's really underrated.
Demoncrat, trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 5th October 2020, 08:01 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Strange Colour Of Your Body's Tears (2014, Cattet / Forzani)

Aaaaaaand this is why I love watching films. Much like their opener Amer, this is stylized TF, but is more assured AF.
IS it a horror film? Well, I certainly felt uncomfortable watching it. So sod your rules and regulations, we regain complete control ahem.
Definitely goes into any list (spit!) yadda yadda ....
REWATCH!!!!!!
I've been wanting to give this one a try, wasn't that taken by Amer but was hoping this would be better!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 5th October 2020, 09:25 AM
Cult Acolyte

the-vampire-bat-movie-poster.jpg
THE VAMPIRE BAT (1933)

Villagers suspect a vampire is about when there are reports of people being attacked by flying creatures and the villagers are dying of blood loss..
Good and quite creepy classic featuring such notables as Fay Wray, Lionel Atwill, Melvyn Douglas and Dwight Frye. You can't go wrong with that lot!
Old 5th October 2020, 09:53 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I've been wanting to give this one a try, wasn't that taken by Amer but was hoping this would be better!
It's the same schtick, but just with that bit of confidence that comes from getting over that initial hurdle. IMHO. Anyone expecting a linear narrative can go back tae Marvel
Justin101 and nosferatu42 like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th October 2020, 02:41 PM
Cult Addict

Creepozoids

A team of soldiers desert their position and find a bunker to hold up in during a downpour of acid rain. As it is a post nuclear holocaust USA, you would think that they would be a bit cautious wouldn't you? Of course not.
I remember seeing the trailer on an old hardgore dvd and was intrigued. Unfortunately it doesn't live up to the trailer I saw all those years ago.

2 disappointments in a row, better not keep up
Old 5th October 2020, 03:29 PM
Cult Veteran

I've been lucky so far, not been disappointed at all, Silent Hill wasn't great but I wasn't expecting it to be!

Anyway, also from yesterday.

Children of the Corn II: The Final Sacrifice (1992)

(Yeah we listen to Pearl Jam... so what??)

I thought that I had seen this film before, it seems like I haven't. Enjoyable in a kids kill all the adults kind of way. I've DEFINITELY seen part 3 I remember renting it from the man who came house to house with video tapes in his car boot

Now that's what I call a nose bleed...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 5th October 2020, 04:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 4th

Borderland (2007)

A decidedly grim crime drama which turns into a grisly horror film about vacationing Americans coming up against Palo (A religion that incorporates ritual sacrifice) practicing drug dealers on the Mexican / US border.

Based on real life serial killer, drug dealer and Cult leader Adolfo de Jesús Constanzo, Borderland is a dark and violent film, it's mixture of torture and ritualistic horror making it well worth seeing. You may not want to stay at a Mexican farm anytime soon though.

Seen this a couple of times now and duly delivers every time. This deserves to be better known.

Schalcken the Painter (1979)

Based on the 1839 story "Strange Event in the Life of Schalken the Painter" by Sheridan Le Fanu.

In the vein of the classic Ghost Stories for Christmas this creepy little slow burning tale which went out on the 23rd December is perhaps more a study of the Dutch masters thanks to Charles Gray's narration than it is a ghostly spectacular.

Having said that the ghost, if it is indeed a ghost, is a deathly presence which has a shocking, ghastly face that sticks in the memory long after the credits have rolled. Directed by Leslie Megahey, the production is beautifully filmed and the horrifying final encounter is classic twisted Gothic material.

This was a third viewing for me and it's a film that's getting better all the time.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Borderland_ver2.jpg (23.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 220px-Schalcken_the_Painter_DVD_cover.jpg (20.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 5th October 2020, 05:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Sweet House Of Horrors. 1989.

A murdered couple return from the grave as ghosts, try to protect their children and seek revenge on the killer as well as protecting their house from being sold.

This has the hallmark of the mark of Fulci, the start of the film people getting their heads bashed in and faces smashed with the usual gore and skin coming away on a fire poker then slides down to being stupid and having two annoying kids (Bob from The House By The Cemetery you was annoying but doesn't compare to the two kids in this film). As much as i'm bashing, it did help some time pass by, this film it's not the greatest of Fulci movies it may take a few more watches to possibly warm upto.

51MkgHPsAyL._AC_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!